226 Discontinued??

billyttpd

Reaction score
Looks like not only the 226 was discontinued. I don't see the 283 Canyon, the 305 Express, or the 290 Chesapeake either. Their probably just wasn't enough demand for these models.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hope GW has done their research - it would appear to me that their is a big void in the WA Cabin . First they eliminated the popular Sailfish and replace it with the Chesapeake and now both are gone. it is a big stretch to go from a Journey to a Marlin both in overall size and price.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yikes..your right; no Express 305. That was 1st on my future wish list. Crap..

Legend;
Almost all our new Grady club members have bought Freedoms. They are obviously the rage and have been for awhile. Seems to me it's a simple case of supply & demand. I wouldn't pay six figures for a boat with no cabin, but that's just me.
I agree it's a big jump from the Journey to the Marlin, but if no ones jumping, it doesn't matter anyway.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MagicBill - I am with you on the cabin issue - we must be a dying breed, however, I do see a lot of GW look-a-likes entering the field ?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Indeed there are; Lots of research would be in order to determine the quality, fit/finish, etc.

I'm holding onto my 232 Gulfstream. It is perfect for our needs except when we want to do long runs offshore; Then we need 10 kts or less for the comfort we want.

I gravitated toward the 305 mostly for the Express center helm area and the overall look. I don't like the big cabin window on the Marlin. To me it hurts the visual as you look at it from the side.

Can't believe how those Freedoms took off; They are everywhere.

Fishtales

Reaction score
For once I agree with their moves.
All comes down to success of the DC boat line, the volume of boat sales, model overlap or closeness and finally production line management. Tough to manage all these models, a lot off the same hulls. Switch overs cost time and if your not making a boat all the time you get rusty which can lead to time and quality delays.

I think they have too many boats in the line up at this time and some were very close to others. Like any product line, you want a solid lineup so a competitor can't find a hole or seam to penetrate, but duplication doesn't help.

For the walks they have a 20, 22, 23, 25 and 30 which seems sufficient. The 28 was a nice boat, but when they redesigned it to a 29 I heard the hull just wasn't right. They did several mods to it without success. Maybe the old 282 with a refreshed design is in order. The 30 express was a compromise - too much of one if you ask me. Additionally they make quite a few boats off the 30 hull, so maybe one had to give. With the 29 walk gone, the Marlin had to stay. The walks are not hot right now and an easy line to pick on.

For the CCs, they have the 271 so the 283 was right on top of it. One prob had to go. With the 29 gone maybe it was time to get rid of the mold (if common) or two if not to save space?

Fishtales

Reaction score
As for the DCs, I really don't understand either. You get a open platform which is good for nice days on the water and maximum deck space which is nice when you have a lot of folks on the boat. The hardtops with enclosures was a great differentiator initially, you can close them up in the snotty weather and get decent protection to get in.
A perfect fit for today's affluent day tripper family. I would never bite on one, but looks like plenty of families new to boating are. Long term it will be interesting to see if they were a fad or true market. You can't blame GW for going to where the money is. I hope they don't lose their traditional market in the process. Many of their traditional boats are getting long in the tooth as far as updates as the DC and now Coastal lines are consuming engineering resources and competitors are raising their game.

I'm pretty much at the high end of the GW size offering in the 30. I really like the Marlin. I'd like a bigger walk versus the expresses but that isn't likely to happen. I think it would be another brand if I have the chance to move up at this point.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been thinking they would drop the Marlin but without the 282, 305, or 290 I believe it will stay awhile. It has been 2004 since an update however.
I love mine but a makeover just might get me to bite :D

JeffN

Reaction score
For my use I don't get the DCs either. Like everyone says there are lots around though so the market is there. For fishing the DC just would not cut it for me. I like the protection of a hardtop and enclosure for N.E. boating and while a DC can be outfitted that way there is no way to move a fish bow to stern. The present CCs don't seem to have all that much fishing room for their size either. If I were looking for a new boat I probably would not be getting a Grady but I have thought that for several years.

Going to the Newport show on Thursday, I have not been to a show in years so it will be fun to see what is out there.

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, bringing this thread back to life, it looks like they've discontinued the 228 as well now. So just 208 and 232, no more Seafarer line. They've had a Seafarer for as far back as I can tell. Seems like a big move for Grady but as someone pointed out, maybe they come up with some sort of 208 / 228 hybrid replacement??

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Well, bringing this thread back to life, it looks like they've discontinued the 228 as well now. So just 208 and 232, no more Seafarer line. They've had a Seafarer for as far back as I can tell. Seems like a big move for Grady but as someone pointed out, maybe they come up with some sort of 208 / 228 hybrid replacement??
I have a 228 and absolutely love it. It's big enough for offshore and small enough I can trailer it home. For me, going bigger wasn't an option so I'm super happy that I got one before they stopped making them.

I think it is a shame, on the west coast those 228's are well loved and for good reason. The 208, nice as it is, is too small, be really hard to crab out of that boat.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 228 and absolutely love it. It's big enough for offshore and small enough I can trailer it home. For me, going bigger wasn't an option so I'm super happy that I got one before they stopped making them.

I think it is a shame, on the west coast those 228's are well loved and for good reason. The 208, nice as it is, is too small, be really hard to crab out of that boat.
I currently have a 1996 208 and have a 228 on order. It is supposed to be shipped out of the factory June 7. For me it's the largest one that I could fit in my slip.

Reactions: Summertop511

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I currently have a 1996 208 and have a 228 on order. It is supposed to be shipped out of the factory June 7. For me it's the largest one that I could fit in my slip.
I looked at the 208, it's $30,000 cheaper. 200hp instead of 250hp, transom instead of swim platform, and 2 feet less cockpit. I suspect that if Grady didn't up the price so much, they would have sold more 228s.

Whatever, you are going to love your 228. If you have following seas where you are, you'll have to get used to the swim platform pushing you around, that's weird the first time but you get used to it. Other than that, all the surprises are pleasant ones. My 228 is a dry boat, I never have water coming out when I remove the plug. Just a great upgrade for you, enjoy!

Reactions: Alweidner

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I looked at the 208, it's $30,000 cheaper. 200hp instead of 250hp, transom instead of swim platform, and 2 feet less cockpit. I suspect that if Grady didn't up the price so much, they would have sold more 228s.

Whatever, you are going to love your 228. If you have following seas where you are, you'll have to get used to the swim platform pushing you around, that's weird the first time but you get used to it. Other than that, all the surprises are pleasant ones. My 228 is a dry boat, I never have water coming out when I remove the plug. Just a great upgrade for you, enjoy!
I was searching for a newer used 226 but they are just so hard to find. Where I keep my boat is a perfect protected spot I've had the slip over 25 years. The 228 should just fit. I originally went with the 250 hp but after speaking to a few people, I upgraded to the 300. The additional cost was only $2200. So far they said it's scheduled to be built on time. Just hoping all goes well

Reactions: PointedRose

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I was searching for a newer used 226 but they are just so hard to find. Where I keep my boat is a perfect protected spot I've had the slip over 25 years. The 228 should just fit. I originally went with the 250 hp but after speaking to a few people, I upgraded to the 300. The additional cost was only $2200. So far they said it's scheduled to be built on time. Just hoping all goes well
I have the 250 and I think you were smart to get the 300. Not for the 47 vs 50mph top speed, who cares? It's for the hole shot, when it is lumpy out there the 250 struggles a little to get up on plane. I'd have bought the 300 if I knew then what I know now. You'd be fine with the 250 but you'll like the 300 better and they are nearly identical in MPG.

Enjoy your 228 and be happy knowing you got one of the last ones made. Great boat.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the 250 and I think you were smart to get the 300. Not for the 47 vs 50mph top speed, who cares? It's for the hole shot, when it is lumpy out there the 250 struggles a little to get up on plane. I'd have bought the 300 if I knew then what I know now. You'd be fine with the 250 but you'll like the 300 better and they are nearly identical in MPG.

Enjoy your 228 and be happy knowing you got one of the last ones made. Great boat.
Thank you for your posts. I followed all of your progress in setting up your boat with the electronics etc. I learned a lot following this site and made some changes to the boat as we went on. After learning that the CL seven is actually a Garmin 7 inch and Will connect to the Garmin electronics, I ordered the 8610. Grady is going to not mount the door to the electronics box nor drill the holes for the hinges. The company that will do the electronics install is going to make a carbon fiber panel and we are going to flush mount the 8610 and install two transducers. One brass through hull and the Garmin larger transom mounted. At this point all of the electronics are in with the exception of the radar unit is back ordered. Hopefully that will come in by the time the boat gets here. If not, I'm hoping we can just install it later. Again, following the posts on this site, I've answered a lot of the questions that I had in my head.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for your posts. I followed all of your progress in setting up your boat with the electronics etc. I learned a lot following this site and made some changes to the boat as we went on. After learning that the CL seven is actually a Garmin 7 inch and Will connect to the Garmin electronics, I ordered the 8610. Grady is going to not mount the door to the electronics box nor drill the holes for the hinges. The company that will do the electronics install is going to make a carbon fiber panel and we are going to flush mount the 8610 and install two transducers. One brass through hull and the Garmin larger transom mounted. At this point all of the electronics are in with the exception of the radar unit is back ordered. Hopefully that will come in by the time the boat gets here. If not, I'm hoping we can just install it later. Again, following the posts on this site, I've answered a lot of the questions that I had in my head.
This site is awesome. It's big enough that there are a ton of 228 owners here, Marlin owners, etc. You can ask any question and get good info. If I have helped, that's great because I've learned so much here, if I'm giving back a little, feels good.

On electronics, I did the 8610 as well, it's nice but I use the 7" Garmin that is the gauges as my charts, I use the 8610 as a fish finder. I have a 942 up in the cuddies, I never use it. If I had to, I could get by with just that 7" Garmin.

Have fun with your 228, if I can help let me know but I bet you can teach me more.

Reactions: Alweidner