226 front bilge question

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey guys. Took the 226 out last night and once after a gradual slow down off plane the front bilge shot out about 1/2 gallon if water. I was bow up at the time, but not more than when I get up on plane. Does the front compartment not drain into the rear bilge when the boat is now up? Also strange why there is water in there

handinpalm

Reaction score
There is a drain tube from bow to stern, along with a plug you can pull under forward compartment. At least for the older GW 226.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A plug under forward compartment? Just spent a half hr poking around. There is standing water, about an inch, under the forward compartment ahead of the fuel tank, I can see water down the drain in the cabin floor, and the same amount of water in the rear bilge. Try as I might I cannot find access to the forward bilge.

I did find wet wood inside the stringers about the back of the seats. About a dinner plate size section. Needs to be dried out. Winter job.

How can I dry the bilge out down there?

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a 93. Where would the plug be, if mine has it?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've not seen a plug in my 2008. Just a narrow PVC tube connecting the forward bilge to the fuel tank compartment.

The forward bilge is the lowest point in the boat. Water can flow forward from the aft bilge when the boat is at rest. But only if the aft bilge has a lot of water. Running on plane generally keeps the water level in the aft bilge below the connecting drain tube.

Water can get into the forward bilge several different ways. The anchor locker is the most common source. A surprising amount of rainwater can get in there that way. When I flush out my tank compartment with fresh water as recommended by Grady, a lot of water drains forward. Usually enough to activate the forward bilge pump switch. When I rinse the deck, some water always gets into the cabin under the door and drains into the bilge.

The only thing you need to worry about is a leaky rub rail. The Grady hull design pushes a lot of spray below the rub rail in rough sea conditions. I've had to re-seal the rub rail on my two previous Gradys after hard dock bumps. You can check for leaks by spraying a hose along the bottom of the rub rail after first drying out your bilge.

Since the bilge pump and switch are mounted on a high point in the forward bilge, a lot of water can collect in there without activating the switch. The forward bilge holds almost 5 gallons of water before the pump turns on. Binging the boat off plane can move the water around enough to float the switch. I pump the forward bilge out using a battery operated fuel transfer pump on a regular basis in order to keep mold under control in the cabin.

Transfer Pump

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks doc. Appreciate the info. I haven't had the boat in any rough stuff yet. Someone said there was an access hatch to get at the forward bilge. I can't find squat. When I look in the forward compartment all I see is the flat surface the auxiliary fuel tank would sit on, and right at the bulkhead going into the cabin a small hole, I am assuming to let water into the bilge where the pump is.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the rear bilge where tube from front bilge empties to see if maybe a plug is there. Some earlier models used to be set up like that, although I believe they were I/O models. There were two tube outlets with plugs, one for center fuel cell area, and the other for front bilge area. Can't hurt to look.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My '04 228 has a small hole in the step down floor in the cabin for draining the floor, along with a 6" pry out plate to access the bilge pump.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ky, it appears mine is missing the pry out access.

I saw those tubes. I'll check for plugs.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you saying that there is no access to the forward bilge pump? There has to be some type of access.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thats what I am saying. I have been all over that area and I cannot lay eyes on the front bilge. Cant even feel it.. I feel silly, but I cant find one. I hope this is me being silly and I am missing something, but cant find it.

I can see the bilge hose disappear down into the bilge through the access inside the cabin on the starboard side, I can see the entire cabin floor of course, under the porta potty, and the sides of the cabin floor, but no other access holes.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Access should be right here, at least that is where mine is on my 03 226 F58EA22F-2409-4265-A835-8B5A195E1555.jpeg

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks,

the previous owner had a piece of outdoor style carpet in the cabin floor, but i looked under that, and looked under the toilet. Ill check later in case I missed it, but that would be tough to do. I wouldnt put it past myself though.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My 87 226 has the same access plate and drain, but the access plate is more forward than the previous photo shows.