226 Glove box delete/electronics mount upgrade

65aircooled

Reaction score
I know it has been done plenty of times, just wanted to share my excitement on this little mod I am doing in my seafarer.
Because mine is an older model, and all I have seen posted here is newer models I figure this may help someone along the way.

Please note I had to compromise and cut the edges of my glovebox due to the size of my older Lowrance, (didn't want to cough out another $800 on a new gps/sounder) so my mod will not be easily reversed. Should you have smaller electronics, all you need to do is install the acrylic lid back and no one will ever know.

I used a piece of 1/2" PVC board (kleer brand) instead of starboard basically because I had it and because I have been using Kleer and Azek for years and have had great results in marine environments so no worries.
On the down side, if you don't have a piece laying around you'd have to buy a whole 4x8 sheet, as they don't make 1/2" board, only 3/4" which would have been too thick for my application.

Two things tha inspired this little project were the mounting position of the Lowrance, PO had mounted it on top of the glove box and it blocked the forward view to the point where I could only drive while standing up. The other was the recent acquisition of a Garmin 24HD/740s combo and I wanted to keep both screens together.

Make sure to sand the routed edges and sides smooth and when prepping for paint, clean all sides to be painted with acetone to give the primer a bit of extra grip.
If I took all measurements correctly and scribed everything accordingly, my piece should follow the contour or the glovebox faithfully. Because the edges of the glovebox are not flat, I plan to caulk between the two pieces to ease the gap and let it blend a bit better.
So far the cost has been about $10 in. SS screws. You will need a table saw, jig saw, router sandpaper, primer and paint. I used Rustoleum PVC/plastic friendly paint and primer. I will try to have this finished and mounted by the weekend so I can hit the water a couple of more times before winterizing :(

Below you can see pictures of the progress I made today. Let me know your thoughts, good and bad.

null_zps24f81d06.jpg

null_zps2bdc9c3c.jpg

null_zpsbc44b2f6.jpg

null_zps53cabb35.jpg

null_zpscad538ac.jpg

null_zps73cf17c3.jpg

null_zps0faf9c62.jpg

null_zps1d151a5b.jpg

null_zps23017e1f.jpg

null_zps6ad2c1df.jpg

null_zps1ef7d1d0.jpg

null_zps0f7bdf42.jpg

null_zpsfb691e71.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks good...I did the same mod on my 225 Tournament that I recently sold and am also doing it for the 223 which I have acquired.

Much easier to use and see the electronics as opposed to them being in the box.

65aircooled

Reaction score
Yes, they will be easier to read that's in the glove box, however, the combination I have wouldn't fit in my glove box anyhow.
I went to the boat today to test fit the pice. I had to do a little more filing and saving to fit it but got it done. I also routed all the new cables and wires for the Garmin 24HD, hopefully I'll be able to install that soon (waiting on the base to arrive)

The only thing I wish I had been able to do was do away with showing the ss screws but the Lowrance gets the screws from the back so that was a no go.

null_zps7066fb9a.jpg

null_zps3d7891dc.jpg

null_zps28c9297d.jpg

null_zps03d90d16.jpg

null_zpsaa27d612.jpg

null_zps3f65c268.jpg

null_zps14373a18.jpg

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks really good, well done!, I also did this using starboard in the spring and had no issues with it...what’s the aluminum post on top of the radio box, it looks like it goes up to your overhead radio box or the hardtop? just curious...what is its purpose?

65aircooled

Reaction score
The_Chain said:
Looks really good, well done!, I also did this using starboard in the spring and had no issues with it...what’s the aluminum post on top of the radio box, it looks like it goes up to your overhead radio box or the hardtop? just curious...what is its purpose?

Thanks, just got the radome base today so it looks like I'll be able to try this thing at least once before winterizing the boat :dance
The aluminum post is just a wire/cable chase, as you said, it connects the O/H electronics box with the glove box. Very convenient for my particular case.

gw204

Reaction score
Looks good. :goodjob

My only recommendation to those considering a similar project is to use regular pan head screws and simply counter sink them. Using those finish washers just provides the illusion of a larger fastener and draws ones attention to them. Countersinking holds just fine and looks a bit better in my opinion. From my old '93 Sailfish...

IMG_7711.jpg

IMG_7712.jpg

I think I've also seen SS screws with white painted heads at the hardware store. Never tried them though.

65aircooled

Reaction score
I agree 100% on the ss washers, however I wouldn't countersink a pan head. I am waiting on a pack of #10 tamper proof pan head screws to replace the ones I used to fit the panel the first time.
Hard to see on your pic, not the best quality so is hard to magnify, but your screws don't seem to be countersunk.