226 Live well Help

gonecoastal

Reaction score
We just purchased (July) a 1992 226 seafarer...

I Can not figure out the live well operation or which ones they are... I have a Live well switch in the cockpit but I see or here nothing when activated other than the light on the switch that does work.. I have no valves or tubes as sugested by my non grady boat owner friends... I thought the live wells are the two boxes in the rear one in front oil tank/battery (Port side) and one in front of the battery box (starbord) they have drains and I can see water in the bottom of the drain... They have a seat lid and both have a clear plexiglass tops too. Anyone with this Grady I would appreciate some advice

Thanks

Ron
Gone Coastal

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ron: Look at the 1992 Grady catalog here: http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/cata ... s/1992.pdf

Looks like there were two options. The 45 quart well behind the companion seat may have been aerated. If so, there should be a small strainer (or hole where a strainer used to be) in the side of the livewell where air bubbles would come out.

Or, it could be that the oval deck boxes in the stern are plumbed as a livewell. If so, you should see pretty sizeable water inlet and outlet. And if one or both of these boxes is plumbed for raw water, there would have to be a through hull fitting somwhere in the bilge. It should have a seacock on the fitting which may be in the closed position.

But if you hear no pump (air or water) at all, then they're not working.

If you can post some photos of the insides of each of these boxes, other 226 owners should be able to tell what you have.

Rob

gonecoastal

Reaction score
226 live well

Rob. The box behind the camp seat is a split box wth a partition . Non of the boxes have anything other than a drain. When I fill the rear ovals it drains right out the thru hull. I have remove every deck plate and have found no valve. I am actually on the boat now at the dock

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ron: Okay, I'm stumped. Sounds like you don"t have the livewell option. But you have the label on the switch. I can't figure that out. Maybe some 226 owners of a similar year will chime in.

Rob

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 1989 226 I had to flip both a livewell and aerator switches to get the livewell to work properly, not sure who the genious was who designed it this way but it would only work if both were switched, not one or the other. On my boat the smaller half behind the comp seat was the livewell, it basically had a bilge pump in reverse with an aerator attached. It worked very well for us. The aft 2 wells although shaped better for the job would be hard to plumb well but it could be done. If you have a pump visable inside one of the wells, then you do in fact have a livewell, otherwise you likely do not have one installed, but not sure why you would then have a switch labeled for one unless a previous owner removed it or added one later on and it now nolonger works.