226 owners help

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Guys I have a 2001 226. It seems to sit low at the bow. Could you guys measure while your boat is at rest in the slip the distance from bottom of the rub rail to the water. Appreciate your feedback

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine looks the same if not lower.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do your cockpit scuppers drain properly when the boat is at rest? If they do, you are fine.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I am not at my boat but here is a recent picture. May be that will helpGrady 226 Lake.jpg

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like 38 1/2" from water. 93 seafarer, half full of fuel, 250 four stroke.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hutchy, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Mine measures at 35 “. Grady white customer service says I’m fine. Thank you. If you other guys can do an actual measurement, I really would appreciate it.

All of my scuppers drain perfectly, and all are above the waterline by an inch.

Do you think th extra weight of the 250 four stroke would make that much of a difference compared to a 200hp 2 stroke? It has me baffled. The 226 in my marina 3 slips away is also 38.5 inches above waterline. My boat is bone dry in both bildge areas and the closed cell foam is also dry everywhere I can possibly get to.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do your cockpit scuppers drain properly when the boat is at rest? If they do, you are fine.
Doc stressor, all of my scuppers drain very well and are at least an inch above the water while at rest. Maybe more.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hutchy, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Mine measures at 35 “. Grady white customer service says I’m fine. Thank you. If you other guys can do an actual measurement, I really would appreciate it.

All of my scuppers drain perfectly, and all are above the waterline by an inch.

Do you think th extra weight of the 250 four stroke would make that much of a difference compared to a 200hp 2 stroke? It has me baffled. The 226 in my marina 3 slips away is also 38.5 inches above waterline. My boat is bone dry in both bildge areas and the closed cell foam is also dry everywhere I can possibly get to.

My scuppers are about an inch or more above the water too. Being the hulls are the same volume, and it would seem that the scuppers are the same distance from the water, not sure what to say. The boat sinking down from the extra weight if distributed evenly would not account for much, but extra engine weight would be noticeable. If perhaps my scuppers were a 1/2" lower in the water than yours, the front of the boat could be several inches higher from the extra weight of the larger engine.

Otherwise, not sure what to say.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Greyduk, yours looks more like mine. I’d be very curious if you could do an actual measurement from bottom of the rubrail to the water.
I measured mine this morning. Mine is 34 in from the water to the bottom of the rub rail.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
34.25” do have a pulpit 22lb delta and 250’ of rope. Half a main tank of fuel. 250 four stroke.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yikes summertop, that’s by lower than mine. I also have bow pulpit ( about 25 lbs). With 200’ of rope and 20’ of chain. All of that doesnt equate to 4.25 inches different as compared to Hutchy. Oh well Grady can’t explain it. How can we?

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yikes summertop, that’s by lower than mine. I also have bow pulpit ( about 25 lbs). With 200’ of rope and 20’ of chain. All of that doesnt equate to 4.25 inches different as compared to Hutchy. Oh well Grady can’t explain it. How can we?
You said yours is 35”. Mine is 34.25” to center of rub rail. Also measured about 2 or 3 feet back from bow point

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I measured right at the bow. Unless I can't read a tape

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think those measurements are that helpful. The angle of the hull will be affected by several things; some have been mentioned, but some may not be obvious like amount of gas in tank, fresh water forward gear etc..
The hull penetration (water line) does not change uniformly across the length of the hull. It is obvious that the motors aft will make the rear of the hull sit lower but what is not obvious is what happens as the tank gas level changes. If the tank is angled aft, as fuel is added it will sit lower in the rear since the gas level ( and weight) is greater towards the rear of the tank and if the tank if aft, the rear of the hull will sit lower. If the tank is full, the weight is more evenly distributed and the bow may sit lower.
What is important is the scupper positions from an operational point of view.

Reactions: Summertop511

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah all that matters is that scuppers drain.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seasick and summertop, this all starter due to this being the wettest boat I’ve ever owned. As far as weight distribution, the cuddy is completely free of any gear ( accept for seat cushions), No water tank storage and a half tank of gas while at rest in the slip. Now I do have only a 200 hp two as to the 250 hp Fourstroke. All of this said, none of this can explain almost a four difference in height from water to rubrail. I also do get that this is only a 22 ft boat. I never owned anything larger than my last Mako 231. This is by far the wettest and making me nuts. I love everything else about the boat. And I certainly do know how to trim a boat

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wet, as in...gets you wet while running in waves? weird. mine seems to be great. Matter of fact the first day I owned mine I took it out in a 40 knot blow and played in some really steep six footers here on Georgian Bay.

Got back to the marina and someone was watching me apparently. The guy watching from shore called the marina before I got back and told our sales manager to order him whatever I was driving, because he said it looked magnificent in the big waves... he now owns a 2018 seafarer. I recall a bit of water being blown over me, but in 40 knots I expect that.

As for height from water, I just re measured. Fuel is between 1/4 and 1/3 tank now, I have an anchor on a roller on the front, and 20 feet of chain in the locker, along with a spare anchor.

37 1/2" from the water, and I measured from the dock, not in the bow of the boat so my 230 lbs was not a factor.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is it wet as in spray? Or wet as in taking on water into the bilge?

The SeaV2 hull (which you have) is a very dry riding hull - but it has to be trimmed properly.