226 Prop Walk and Listing

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I put my new (2008 leftover) 226 in the water for the first time this weekend and found that the boat veered from side to side when off plane and listed to port when up on step. The steering is harder turning to port. I spoke with a guy with a 2007 226 and he told me that he had the exact same issues.

The torque tab on the engine is already turned quite a bit to starboard. The engine is an F250 turning a 15 1/4 X 19 prop.

Before I begin the usual messing around (torque tab adjustments, changing props, adding a stabilizer plate), I though the I would ask if anyone else has come up with a solution to this issue.

I did a search and came up with this thread:

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7580&highlight=listing+port

But it discussed a modified boat and did not offer any solutions.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, listing to port. I just adjust a little with the tabs and everything is fine. I might be wrong but I think the torque tab is adjusted to the boat runs straight, it does not have to do with the listing.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
First thing I'd do is center up the torque tab and see if that improves the performance. We played around with ours for a while and found the best location was just slightly off center with the trailing edge about half a notch to starboard. When you say the tab is turned starboard, do you mean the trailing edge is starboard?

When you're not on plane, there's not much you can do about it tracking straight. My previous boat tracked much better at slow speeds. It took a little while to get used to steering in close quarters with the 208, but now I don't even think about it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The rear of the torque tab is adjusted 2 notches to starboard. Since it still steers hard when turning to port, it may have to go even further.

The list takes 3 lights on the port tab to correct in a flat sea.

The SV2 is a very different hull than my old '86 Seafarer. It handles similar to an old Potter hulled SeaCraft. Everything is a compromise I guess.

So I guess that everybody just lives with the problem.

I'll contact Grady and post what they have to say.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is the motor trimmed all the way down? Have you tried adjusting the trim? If you trim the motor up and the problem does not go away, then you may have a hook in the hull.

I know you said the boat was a leftover and I'm curious as to how its been stored? If it sat on a rack or dolly and was unsupported, the hull may have developed a deformity. If this is the case, this may be a bigger issue that you, the dealer and GW will have to deal with.....

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The listing and steering wheel pull are greatest with the motor trimmed in, which would be expected.

It's actually not uncommon for a true deep V hull with a big engine and large prop to list to port. But the SV2 isn't a classic 24 degree deep V.

If it sat on a rack or dolly and was unsupported, the hull may have developed a deformity.

That's my real concern. But other people seem to have similar issues with this hull.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Mine lists to port just a bit at rest, but I also have larger batteries than normal and they are both on the port side (and I normally use the port fish boxes as coolers). Your prop has more pitch than most I've read about. Mine has 17 degrees. I wonder if the additional pitch might be causing the steering issue.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had my dealer put the batteries as far starboard as they would go and that cured most of the 'list' for me. Although the boat was not listing while at rest. I still feel it a bit especially when accelerating while coming up on plane, so I presume it is some torque pull. But mine was never so much as I needed three bars of trim tab to correct it.

I would like to hear Grady's response.

Rob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bigk23surf said:
Mine does the same thing, listing to port. I just adjust a little with the tabs and everything is fine. I might be wrong but I think the torque tab is adjusted to the boat runs straight, it does not have to do with the listing.

What are ya'll referring to when you say "torque tab"? Is it the zinc anode? I'm just not sure what you're referring to.
thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. The fin on the zinc anode above the prop is the torque tab.

Haven't heard back from Grady yet. They usually take a day or so.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Interesting.

We were just commenting the other day how well mine tracks. When properly trimmed, you can walk away from the helm at a 27 kt. cruise and that is with cable steering. No noticeable issues off plane either.

With both fuel tanks full, and 3 guys onboard, the boat is hard to turn off its “line” if anything. It could be the prop. Running a 4 blade Stainless.

jburban

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the torque tab (or trim tab - as it was originally called) was only effective with cable steering. Hydraulic steering just didn't allow the torque feedback on a scale that the trim tab could negate. Maybe I'm wrong. I just thought they were pretty much useless these days other than to push cool water into the exhaust to cool the hub. Thoughts.

I have an 06 (bought new on 07) 228 w/hardtop and an F250 (15.5x17 prop) and mine lists to port at all speeds and at rest. 30% port tab and she runs level at all speeds but list can change depending on wind. Tends to lean into the wind. I have 2 Tanks I switch using between and don't notice much difference in ride eitherway.

Does anyone have the same setup but with a different prop? I'm looking to try something different - maybe.
Also, anyone ever adjusted the engine height on the bracket?

Thanks, J

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got a call from Jeff Brown at Grady White in response to my e-mail.

We had an interesting conversation. While some degree of prop walk and listing to port is characteristic of hull and a high torque engine turning a big prop, there are a few things that can be done to minimize the effects.

He said that trimming the engine as far out as possible when running off plan will reduce the low speed prop walk. Similarly, trimming out will also reduce the tendency to lean to port when up on plane. Jeff advised against adding a stabilizer fin with my particular hull and engine. They apparently have a history of causing more problems than they solve.

At the end of the conversation I asked about the effects of engine mounting height. Grady recommends using the second mounting hole position with my hull and engine combination. My engine is mounted using the top hole. So we may have hit upon the source of the problem. The deeper the lower unit is in the water, the greater the prop walk effects. The right handed prop pulls the stern to starboard, which causes tracking instability at low speed and increases the list to port when the boat is on plane.

Good customer service! Now at least I have a framework for tweaking the handling characteristics.

jburban

Reaction score
The second mounting hole on the engine or the bracket? We're getting down to the minutia here but while we're at it.....I'm in the top hole of the bracket and the second hole from the top on the engine. J

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The second mounting hole on the engine.

I have no bracket. We only discussed the 226. I wouldn't extrapolate this info to a 228 since they are different boats with different ride characteristics.