226 Seafarer 2006

Brett

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 2006 226 Seafarer.The boat is mint with very low hours.I live in BC Canada.The boat has a 9.9 yamie kicker on it.It is set up with a Panther electric steering device.I hate it(even knowing I have not tried it yet).I just don't like the set up.I was wondering if anyone has an idea how I could hook up an Ez-Steer tie-rod,WITHOUT hooking it up on the back.I need to be able to unhook it if I want too.I would like to set up the rod on the front of the motors.But having the main motor recessed in just a bit on the transom.The angle might not work.I was also thinking about going with hydraulic steering on my kicker.The kicker also has a tiller handle on it and I want to get ride of that and go with controls.And put the controls up in the helm,so I can run everything from one spot.Any ideas would be great......thanks :D

HMBJack

Reaction score
You actually CAN attach the EZ Steer rod on the fly. With the boat dead in the water (i.e. not moving...), simply raise both both motors. Stradle the V6 and attach the rod. The, while holding the other end, stradle the kicker and attach it. Takes some practice but it can be done without going swimming. Take it as a challenge. Do it once and you're an expert. Good luck.

Brett

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that.But there has to be a way to mount the rod on the front? I guess I could of bought a 228G and not had this issue at all

HMBJack

Reaction score
I personally have never observed a front mounted EZ Steer (or similar connecting rod) on a 226 or 228. The EZ steer mounted on the back gives it more arch or leverage (I think). Agreeably it looks a little weird but when properly mounted, they work great. I keep mine off unless I plan to troll so I sort of get the best of both worlds. Cheers, Jack