228 Anchoring question

trashpad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 2006 228 that swings back and forth at anchor. I am on the Chesapeake and every type of anchorage (wind, depth, wave) the boat just clocks back and forth. Any tricks you guys can think of?

Anchor Rode is Nylon Three Strand 1/2inch x 150ft with Galvanized 1/4inch x 15ft HT G4 Chain connected to a 16.5 lb Lewmar Claw Anchor. Windless and pulpit.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My setup is the same, but with a 226. Swings around a lot at anchor also.

My sailboat used to also. Interested to hear what others do to mitigate this.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pretty normal for most boats. Can't really fight wind and current.

I've often wondered if a bridle setup with a pulley would make any difference, though.

If this is just "lunch" anchoring, you could set a stern anchor to keep you in one spot. This should not be done overnight, though.

trashpad

Reaction score
I am use to a little swing and may last GW ('78 Chesapeake) did it too but not this bad. But this 228 swing is crazy. Tying it off on the cleat on one side is a great thought and will try it next time out. I might even try a snatch block back to the mid-ship cleat to pull it back more if needed.

I did try raising the motor and did not notice a difference. Maybe a big kite off the back, haha

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What about a small drift sock?

Green Pond

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Have a 225 tournament that does same thing. Have to be careful if close to other boats.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My first question is what water depth, and how much line are you putting out? A general rule of thumb is 7-10 ft of rode to every foot of water. So for 20’ of water, at least 140 ft of rode. I have 250 ‘ total ft of rode ( rope and chain). I find the more line out, the less porpoising and sway I get.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would suggest Walk-arounds and express boats have more windage than other boats thus the swing will be more pronounced. Also, if you 6 feet or chain or 20 feet of chain it will not change how the boat floats at the surface. The chain is to keep the nylon rode on the bottom and to keep the shank of the anchor from being pulled up releasing the anchor from it's hold.

My 228 has swing . It is what it is.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you are at anchor on a sandbar then need to learn how to anchor from bow and stern

fastexas

Reaction score
I have an '05 225 Tournament, and installed a Stick It brand anchor pin on my boat. Guy at Stick It said my boat is too heavy and it wouldn't work well. He was incorrect as I use it all the time on the 2' - 4' sandbar we anchor at and I've had zero issues with it not holding. Kind of like a poor man's Power Pole. Was around $140 for the 8' pole & aluminum motor mount bracket. SUPER easy to install on the motor mount bolts. If you like to hang out in shallow, calm-ish water and either don't want to spend the 2k on a power pole (or don't want to look like a dork with a power pole on a deep-v hull), I recommend an anchor pin.

Reactions: trashpad

trashpad

Reaction score
I tried this weekend first by tying it off on the cleat on one side and it did not help. Then I used a mooring line by tying a bowline around the anchor rode and pulled the rode back a few feet back and tied it off to the mid ship cleat. That worked much better.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tried this weekend first by tying it off on the cleat on one side and it did not help. Then I used a mooring line by tying a bowline around the anchor rode and pulled the rode back a few feet back and tied it off to the mid ship cleat. That worked much better.

This approach only works if you stay on the boat, right? I would assume any shift in winds would force you to switch the cleat that the rope is tied to.

I anchored for the first time since we bought the boat, but definitely have no confidence in anchoring near others and crossing over to the Ocean, which a lot of people do by me. The current wasn't too strong early yesterday, but any wakes really changed our direction significantly. Not sure if I didn't let out enough rope or too little.

I'd like to start anchoring by sandbars and letting the kids frolic around, but I have a long way to go before I get there.

trashpad

Reaction score
Yes amamola, only when on the boat fishing or swimming and not around other boats. Not sure I would ever overnight on it, but if I did I would just let it swing.