228 FF transducer options?

jfmagana

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Airmar P66 (i.e., transom mounted) transducer to something higher power (1000W) for my 228g. My motivation is that this transducer has never read well while underway (prop wash/cavitation always causes false readings). Also, my ability to see bottom topography in deeper depths is limited due to the 600W max. Anyway, I went to the shop today and looked at the 1000W Airmar with the high speed fairing...WOW! that thing is HUMONGOUS! 21" to be exact. I looked that the 1000W 20 degree models too...also gigantic...you have to cut a 4" diameter hole in the hull :shock: ! Lastly, I see the 1000W shoot through the hull (M260). While it's big, I think I can find a place for it.

Any suggestions? Anybody have experience with the M260? Does it really work? Can I be used on a small boat like a 228g???

mullet

Reaction score
I run an M-260 with my Furuno 582L and am quite happy with it. It's mounted in the rear fuel tank hatch as far back as I could go. It reads well at speed also.

Here are a coulple of pics:
This shows them completed. The M260 and the garmin backup
Picture017.jpg

Glassing in the reservoirs:
ebay093.jpg

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
228 transducer options

Hi..what do you guys use to reseal the access hatches after your done with the installation..thanks..john.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The tilt ducers are all the rage, nearly flat to hull surface. No problem with hole, just use a hole saw and pick a spot where the hull is flat not curved, and you have access on inside.