228 Flushmount & fishfinder upgrade

JiminGA

Reaction score
Thought you'd like to see this upgrade we just completed on our 228 Seafarer. First, a huge "Thank You" goes out to Parthery for the expertise and help. This project included upgrading my fishfinder from an old monochrome Lowrance unit to a color model better matched to the kind of fishing we do (inshore and nearshore out to about 30 miles, generally in water less than 100 to 200 feet). We had to do a complete changeout of the transducer and wiring as the old 'ducer was not compatible with the new unit.

I'm a pretty tall guy, so the flush mount has really helped - I no longer have to lean down to peek into the electronics "cubby" - the view now is unobstructed and "in your face!"

The flush panel is 1/2 inch starboard custom cut and beveled to fit the 228 panel. I provided the guy who does this work templates for both the GPS and the fishfinder, so the panel came to me ready to install. It was reasonable too - less than $50 including shipping.

I was amazed at the improvement in being able to see detail and fish. In fact if you look at the top picture - all those fish are about 100 feet away from a 3 lane boatramp at Lake Allatoona (near Atlanta).

Anyway I thought my fellow Grady owners would enjoy seeing how this all turned out. I can't wait to get back into saltwater now!

DSC00413Small.JPG

DSC00415Small.JPG

Brad1

Reaction score
Nice setup. That's what I did with my electronics box, only I used black starboard. I have a Lowrance 525 cdf. I mounted it on the port side of the flush mount panel, with my VHF radio to the right. I have a remote control for the stereo to the right of the Lowrance as well. If I had a hardtop (I wish I did), I'd have my VHF in the electronics box in the hardtop.

GWcpa

Reaction score
That looks great. Nice job. I'm somewhat surprised GW has not changed the helm module to facilitate flush mounting. Pretty much the norm with the competition.

SherpaT

Reaction score
Nice-- a question

I'm undertaking the same project. I was going to do it a couple years ago, but got delayed. One question: how is the dash panel attached to the existing helm structure? washers behind? or is there a plywood core to screw into?

Thanks!

Tim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice setup.

I'm console flushmounting my NEW Garmin 4208 this year. He He He,
I'm like a kid in toyland !