228 head portable

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For a 228 an option-- is HEAD- portable w/deck pump out vs. head-portable w/inline macerator , WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE and IS ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHER. Im assuming both are plumbed out side of the boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They are both "porta-potty's". The pump-out version has a hose that goes from the holding tank portion of the potty to a fitting on the topsides of the boat. To empty the head, you get a "pump-out" at a marina. Basically a big shop vac that sucks everything out. There are ways to make this work at home. The macerator version has the hose from the holding tank version plumbed to a thru-hull fitting on the bottom of the boat. The macerator will suck the stuff out, chew it up and then spit it out. It's only legal in certain areas to do this (overboard discharge). Google the various terms and it'll help, too.

One is not better than the other - they're just different. It all comes down to what makes more sense for the way YOU use the boat. You could also add a T-fitting and have both options.

Still another, simpler, option is just a plain old porta-potty. Super simple, no real installation needed, and easy to empty.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Go with the porta potty option if you think you'll need a head on board. You just dump it at a public toilet if you use it. Or just go with a 5 gallon bucket.

I just removed the pump-out macerator version from my 226 in order to get a little more storage. You still need to fill it with toilet chemical and to clean it up after use or the cabin will stink.

If you aren't going to do overnight trips, it's really not worth the hassle to have a pump out macerator head on board.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
Go with the porta potty option if you think you'll need a head on board. You just dump it at a public toilet if you use it. Or just go with a 5 gallon bucket.

I just removed the pump-out macerator version from my 226 in order to get a little more storage. You still need to fill it with toilet chemical and to clean it up after use or the cabin will stink.

If you aren't going to do overnight trips, it's really not worth the hassle to have a pump out macerator head on board.

Agree with Doc, and recently removed my macerator setup in my boat for a simple porta potty.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My 228 has both options (factory y-valve). I've never used the pump out, but I have used the macerator function several times when way offshore with ladies. They wouldn't be keen on the idea of pooping in a bucket or hanging it off the side.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Depending if you can overboard discharge where you boat, I would go for the macerator. With that version, you get both options (overboard discharge) and pump out facility.
The basic porta potty requires the pump out facility which may or may not be readily avail when you need it. I find that there are sometimes lines for this service and it can sometimes be a PIA. Either is ok, but I'd get the overboard macerator option. Just my 2 pennies.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
We're getting a couple terms mixed up here. A porta potty is a self contained unit. The bottom of the potty is the "holding tank" and can easily (and cleanly) be removed from the boat and simply dumped into any toilet. It's actually a very simple and trustworthy process. The standard size is about 2.5 gallons, while the larger capacity one is 5 gallons. Even 2.5 gallons is actually quite large, especially for just a few people for the day or even overnight.

A porta potty can also be had in an "MSD" version (Marine Sanitation Device). In this case, it has fittings on the back side that can be plumbed to hoses - those hoses can go to a pump-out fitting on the topsides, or to a macerator, or a combination of the two. You can even plumb a porta-potty to a separate holding tank with a transfer pump.

Now, with that being said, I'll add that my favorite setup is a VacuFlush - but that requires A LOT more work to be installed, along with a couple thousand dollars.

lgusto

Reaction score
In my experience the porta-potty is nearly worthless for anything other than liquid and a small bit of paper. Anything solid will not get sucked up by a pump out or a macerator. Whatever is in there will float around for a long time until dissolved. Unless of course you go the manual route and take the tank to a bathroom to dump.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A "Porta Potty" that has been altered for hoses to a deck pump out or macerator is a PIA to disconnect and empty manually. Unclamping the hoses (one for discharge and one for vent) can be difficult to take off and on. Had a setup like that on my 208. Rather keep it as just a porta Potty.

lgusto

Reaction score
journeyman said:
A "Porta Potty" that has been altered for hoses to a deck pump out or macerator is a PIA to disconnect and empty manually. Unclamping the hoses (one for discharge and one for vent) can be difficult to take off and on. Had a setup like that on my 208. Rather keep it as just a porta Potty.

Agreed 100%