228 Livewell Support Arm

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The strut in the photo says it is 55 pounds, an odd number and I suppose a 50# as would be fine. I do not know what the difference between the middle digit '3' and a '2' The manufacturers phone number is printed on the strut and maybe that can advise.

The difference is their length at compression vs fully extended. The “3” extends to 10in while the “2” goes to 7.5.

seasick

Reaction score
I found the part number breakdown. The 3 is the stroke, 3 inches. A model with a 2 has a stroke of 2.25 inches. In addition, the 3 has an different compressed and extended length. The 625-2 would not be a match.

Fishtales

Reaction score
GW uses #30. Not that a heavier one would matter much.

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
All- Thanks for posting! This has been on my list of items to address for the past couple of years but never got around to fixing. I just ordered via eBay (thx for the link with free shipping). Any tricks to take the old one off, and attach the new one? Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you,

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure if you are like me, but it will look like it’s the wrong one when you receive it...

They put the caps on both sides over the opening. You just need to pop it out, put the opening over the knob end that is fixed on your livewell, push a little hard and then put the cap back on the back end.

To remove the old ones, just pop out the cap using a flat head or something, and then pull off.

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Not sure if you are like me, but it will look like it’s the wrong one when you receive it...

They put the caps on both sides over the opening. You just need to pop it out, put the opening over the knob end that is fixed on your livewell, push a little hard and then put the cap back on the back end.

To remove the old ones, just pop out the cap using a flat head or something, and then pull off.

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
All- Thanks again for this information. It was finally nice enough up here in Mass to put the support arm in. It only took 5 mins to pop the old one off, clean the connection, and install the new one in. I can't believe I've put that off for almost 10 years... I really appreciate the help, and the eBay link.

Jambo

Reaction score
Some good info about that part. Reply #6 and #16 tell you how to find the part for your boat. Ameritool is the provider of the part for Grady. Great Lakes Skipper is a vender at 1/2 the price.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/live-well-support-arm.24218/#post-194130
What would really help me is the length of the “barrel” of the strut. The extended length not so much. My frozen live well strut has the Ameritool engraved number GW# 10-675 and has a barrel length of 5.5”. It is female threaded inside the base of the barrel and male threads on the shaft. (I’ve removed the ball connectors on each end) Does anyone know the replacement model and supplier? I’ll call Ameritool but Grady people seem to be a better source for accurate info.
Many thanks. Chris

Attachments

• 508FE260-BB42-4A3C-8955-EF4F9697F811.jpeg
    508FE260-BB42-4A3C-8955-EF4F9697F811.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 8

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What would really help me is the length of the “barrel” of the strut. The extended length not so much. My frozen live well strut has the Ameritool engraved number GW# 10-675 and has a barrel length of 5.5”. It is female threaded inside the base of the barrel and male threads on the shaft. (I’ve removed the ball connectors on each end) Does anyone know the replacement model and supplier? I’ll call Ameritool but Grady people seem to be a better source for accurate info.
Many thanks. Chris
You mentioned you wanted to know the model number and supplier - but you already know it's Ameritool - maybe that other number is there model number? Give them a call - they're the source so you'll get the most accurate info there. If you aren't up to doing that, you could call your local Grady dealer with the Grady part number.

If there's a spec for barrel length, I've never seen it. It's always about extended and closed lengths. But, yes, the extended length IS important. The barrel length is really inconsequential. Measure it extended and closed. The last piece of info you'll need is the poundage. With those three things you can buy a replacement anywhere. I'm sure Ameritool can tell you that, too.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jambo,,,, look back at the beginning of this thread. Post #6 by me, gives you the Ameritool # for the baitwell shock. You can adjust your poundage accordingly. The 55 pounder that I have is not overkill. My baitwell lid is heavy with the cutting board attached.

Jambo

Reaction score
Jambo,,,, look back at the beginning of this thread. Post #6 by me, gives you the Ameritool # for the baitwell shock. You can adjust your poundage accordingly. The 55 pounder that I have is not overkill. My baitwell lid is heavy with the cutting board attached.
Thanks both. The reason why the barrel length would help me is my piston is frozen completely and I have no idea of fully extended or compressed length.
I will reach Ameritool tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Ky Grady,
Does your bait well cover look similar to this picture?

Attachments

• 2DDB243F-4917-40F7-A451-CC7F47CF8DC5.jpeg
    2DDB243F-4917-40F7-A451-CC7F47CF8DC5.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 6

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nope. You posted in a 228 baitwell shock thread. Not sure what you need for yours.

20210501_113510.jpg

Jambo

Reaction score
Nope. You posted in a 228 baitwell shock thread. Not sure what you need for yours.

View attachment 23365
Right. Sorry about the 228 forum. I thought my 225 problem would be relevant. I appreciate the help as always. My smaller bait well cover will be different than yours.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks both. The reason why the barrel length would help me is my piston is frozen completely and I have no idea of fully extended or compressed length.
I will reach Ameritool tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Ah, gotcha. Ameritool will get you straightened out.

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All- Thanks again for this information. It was finally nice enough up here in Mass to put the support arm in. It only took 5 mins to pop the old one off, clean the connection, and install the new one in. I can't believe I've put that off for almost 10 years... I really appreciate the help, and the eBay link.
Sorry to ask this a couple of years after the post but does anyone have a photo of how this is installed ?. I have a 1987 and there are no gas struts and I’d like to install them for all hatches

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this a couple of years after the post but does anyone have a photo of how this is installed ?. I have a 1987 and there are no gas struts and I’d like to install them for all hatches

I can take a picture tomorrow. One item to be aware of in this post. The eBay struts worked fine in calm seas, but wouldn’t consistently keep the live well hatch open when things got a little rough. I ended up going back to the grady dealer and purchased a strut from them. No problems since.