228 - making it water tight?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hi fellow GW folks,

New guy here so learning. I have a 2020 228 with a few issues. I've talked to HQ and they are telling me to take it back to my dealer, I don't want to be My Whiney so I'm looking for some sanity checks.

I demoed a Fisherman 236 and asked the guy about the bilge, my previous boat drained to bilge so it was yuck all the time. He said that in 2 years of having that boat he had yet to see a drop of water in the bilge. Which sounds great. When I hose down my deck, water leaks into the bilge. GW says the dealer should reseal the covers and make it water tight. Is that really the dealer's problem or should I figure it out? I don't want to be a pain but I paid $128K for this boat, shouldn't it just work?

Same thing for the forward (behind the passenger seat in the helm) fish box, the one with the gasket that is the live well if you don't get the livewell in the transom. I thought I could use that for dry storage but when I wash down the deck, water pools in there. I thought it was because I didn't have the plug in and it was back filling, but I dried it out, put the plug in, haven't taken it out on the ocean, just washed it, water in there. I'd really like that to be dry storage for tools and lunch.

And when I say "wash" I don't mean 400 gallons of water, I mean maybe a minute or 90 seconds of hosing it down with a garden hose. At most 40 gallons, probably a lot closer to 10 or 15 gallons.

Finally, the anchor locker seems sort of poorly designed, you wash the deck and water gets in there and can get onto the cushions in the cuddy. Is that just how it is?

Like I said, I'm a n00b to GW, for the money I expected everything to work, and it mostly does, I'm just trying to figure out what I should go back to the dealer about and what I need to deal with on my own. I spent the money because my last boat was a horrible mess and I didn't want a project. So I'm inclined to take it back to the dealer but I don't want to be a problem, the sales guy is the dad of the captain of the hockey team I coached so being a whiney guy is not me.

Thanks for any nudges, she is a beautiful boat, just trying to dial it in.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Post some pics! Love to see a 2020 seafarer and congrats. Also I just got my 2005 and trying to work on the same thing when I get time here and there. I haven’t used the storage behind the seats for anything but deflated tubes and bumpers for the day. They go back in the dock box when I get back. Oh and I throw a case of water in the one for when out there everyone needs water out in the heat. I put the plugs in when going out or water will come in from the rocking back and forth in the waves. As far as the anchor locker I know I wish it drained over board but at the same time out the ocean or slowly going through big waves it would go in the drain into the anchor locker and always have salt water in there.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I bought my 228 new in 2009. Congrats it's a good boat. My anchor locker doesn't just empty into the cabin. There is a door that opens between the cabin and locker. Maybe your door is not closed all the way?

The inspection ports could be leaking. They are snap on with a gasket . Mine are OEM and water tight still. I keep them clean and the gasket fresh with petroleum jelly. My bilge is bilge is bone dry. Yours should be too.

These are legitimate concerns you have. Maybe the o rings are messed up and maybe there is something missing in the cabin access door? These are punch list items and that's why you bought new. Congrats and enjoy the ride. Ahh new boat smell . Those VOCs of the new boat are heaven.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Luckydude,

That would upset just about anyone who dished out that amount of $$$.

Everyone handles things differently, and this is a case of managing expectations of what you want done to make yourself happy. I am uncomfortable being too aggressive unless absolutely necessary, and somehow I always get what I expect by not giving up. At the end of the day if you are honest with yourself and the dealership, I suggest writing down your list that needs to be addressed, and give them a chance to make good. If that does not make you happy, escalate it with Grady White. I believe it will all come out satisfactory for you in the end because Grady stands behind their reputation 100%.

Your relationship with knowing the family I understand, and they should appreciate the business you threw their way.

Good luck with this!

Lee

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 2013, 228G, bought used in 2018. Like Smoky said you shouldn't get water in the cabin from the anchor well, that should go in the bilge . Maybe the water you find in the bilge is water from the anchor well but you will not get much unless the sea is very rough and you get lots over the bow.
The divided box under the port seat could get some water in it on the outer side. I keep my lunch /munchies on the side that has the perspex cover and never get water in that, I keep drinks and ice on the out side of it.
Fish goes in the starboard fish box as it is much bigger and rear tank I use for livies.
$128k? you must have her fully optioned, Radar, auto pilot, windlass, kicker, outriggers, downriggers, radios, etc... with a fully optioned trailer .
You have a very nice boat, easy to tow, plenty of deck space for the size and very well handling boat for a 22 footer, I'm on my second 228.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Those issues you have sound like warranty to me. I would expect the dealer to come to my dock and fix those issues without any questions. Should not have those issues with a new boat. Especially a Grady.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Idk about bone dry. That’s kinda a stretch. The rear cup holders drain into the bilge and the under gunwhale rod holders are open to the bilge. The cabin drain goes straight to the bilge too. Water also can get in the rope notch and into the top area and then into bilge.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like others have said. You paid the premium for a brand new 228, make your punch list of the items that need addressed and return it to the dealer to take care of, friend or not, they are the dealer selling you the boat. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure they would want the same. Along with the areas mentioned above for water to get into the bilge, under the rear jump seats, is direct access to the bilge. If you're tilted back to drain, the channel around the hole, which for the most part, is self draining, will fill up and overflow into the bilge while washing down.

Congrats on the new boat too!!

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, the anchor locker should drain into the bilge. If the cabin cushions are getting wet, you either have a plugged drain in the bottom of the locker or some other leak. I can't say for sure if the livewell should stay dry.
I think that Grady's response to water in the bilge referred to leaks in the deck. I would make a list and give the dealer another shot at repairs. I would also let Grady know that you are doing that and if it doesn't work out, you would like them to get involved. I am sure they will.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
$128k? you must have her fully optioned, Radar, auto pilot, windlass, kicker, outriggers, downriggers, radios, etc... with a fully optioned trailer .

That is the out the door price, including our 10% sales tax, license, brand new trailer with 4 disc brakes, boat has pump out head, full curtains, live well on the transom, fresh and raw wash down, 250hp yamaha. Before tax and crud it was $117K. If you can get by with a smaller cockpit, the Adventure is the same boat 2 feet shorter. I think it is about $30K cheaper. My fishing buddy looked at the Adventure and encouraged me to go bigger.

The electronics were an additional $13-14K, I had them installed by pros. Here's the list of stuff:

Garmin 8610xsv - 10" that does sidevu, this is the main display
Garmin 942xs - Backup charts/fishing finder. Not side vu capable. Mounted in the port side overhead cubby, visible from the cockpit so fish finder most of the time.
Garmin 7-inch GPSMAP - the engine controls are digital, the info coming back is digital, so Yamaha used a 7 inch Garmin with the Yamaha app on it showing RPM, fuel, battery voltage, etc. You swipe it and boom! it is a regular Garmin. So I have 3 chart displays if need be. 99.9% of the time this will be a Yamaha engine display.
TM185HW - high power down viewing Airmar transducer, fish finder
GT30-TM - high power side viewing Garmin transducer, bait ball finder
Garmin Fantom 18 Radar
Steadycast Heading Sensor (for the radar, makes it more accurate)
GA38 GPS Antenna (I think for the steadycast)
AIS800 - AIS transponder because I fish in shipping channels, I see them, they see me.
GX1850G - Standard Horizon VHF, picked because I use their handhelds
VHF antenna & mount

Added a battery tender and Scotty downriggers, I did the install on those. I've got health issues, my body is wearing out, so I can do about 20 minutes of work and then I need to rest my feet. The $5K install of all the electronics was the best $5K I've ever spent. When I picked it up, the guy who did the install was there, he's my age and weighs a lot more. I asked how the heck can he do that and he said "Lots of advil". I'll bet. I made his day because we talked and he realized I'm mentally capable of doing the work so he walked me through all the stuff he did and why and I appreciated his work. So much so that I went to BevMo and bought him and the sales guy a pile of booze to say thanks.

Haven't done much else to it, I screwed in a 5 rod holder to the back of the transom, I like rods to be not waving hook in my face when I walk by.

Currently working on fenders (bumpers? I dunno what you call them).

I'll get you guys more pics, there are a few here: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat but most of those are me in my buddies Triumph.

Reactions: wrxhoon

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another 228 in the Bay Area!

Lots of support there for ya!!

Impressive list of electronics, and am envious of having a boat without major issues :cool:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Another 228 in the Bay Area!

Lots of support there for ya!!

Impressive list of electronics, and am envious of having a boat without major issues :cool:

Joe up in Marin, I think, is getting one as well. He and I want to collect all the 228 people, launch out of Oyster Point or Sausalito, my kid will run a drone when we all go out under the Golden Gate in formation. I think it would be epic. And I'm pretty sure Joe knows about you, he said there was one in Nevada.

On the no issues, this is my second boat, it is the boat I should have bought first. I took a $15K hit on the first boat that I bought used, did not get surveyed (because I was a n00b who knew nothing), so I was willing to throw money at the problem because I want no problems. I've got health issues, I maybe have a 5 year window where I can go fish, maybe less. So I just wanted the most reliable, turn key, boat I could find. Everyone said Grady White.

Reactions: JJMag

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Joe up in Marin, I think, is getting one as well. He and I want to collect all the 228 people, launch out of Oyster Point or Sausalito, my kid will run a drone when we all go out under the Golden Gate in formation. I think it would be epic. And I'm pretty sure Joe knows about you, he said there was one in Nevada.

On the no issues, this is my second boat, it is the boat I should have bought first. I took a $15K hit on the first boat that I bought used, did not get surveyed (because I was a n00b who knew nothing), so I was willing to throw money at the problem because I want no problems. I've got health issues, I maybe have a 5 year window where I can go fish, maybe less. So I just wanted the most reliable, turn key, boat I could find. Everyone said Grady White.

226 lives matter too for your drone shot :)

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree with the others to make a punch list, email the dealer, and copy Grady so you have a paper trail. The dealer should work with you to try and resolve the issues. If you’re not satisfied you’ll have a history to go to Grady with.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
226 lives matter too for your drone shot :)

Oh heck yeah! We can do a 228 shoot, a 226+228 shoot, we could do an all Grady White shoot. I think you have to be a little nuts to spend what Grady charges to own one of these boats. 25 year old 228s go for $25K or more, I've seen people on this site hoping they could get one that cheap. That says a lot.

Definitely want that formation going out under the Golden Gate with pics and video. I did not realize there were that many Gradys here, Joe made it sound like it was maybe 6-8 228s. I know there is a Marlin 300 real close to me, who knows how many more there are?

• Love
Reactions: JJMag and leeccoll

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I lived on the west coast I would meet up for sure. Maybe someone in nj with a drone would do that would be cool

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We live here in Marin and have a '04 228 for the past five years.

Use it mainly for fishing in the bay and outside the GGb.

Sturg.

Reactions: JJMag

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oh heck yeah! We can do a 228 shoot, a 226+228 shoot, we could do an all Grady White shoot. I think you have to be a little nuts to spend what Grady charges to own one of these boats. 25 year old 228s go for $25K or more, I've seen people on this site hoping they could get one that cheap. That says a lot.

Definitely want that formation going out under the Golden Gate with pics and video. I did not realize there were that many Gradys here, Joe made it sound like it was maybe 6-8 228s. I know there is a Marlin 300 real close to me, who knows how many more there are?
What!! are 30 Marlins chop liver?lol..Congrats lucky on your new sled..

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m definitely in Joe from Marin !
I think this is an awesome idea, unbelievable how many 228/226 and other Grady white model owners they are in the bay area and outlying areas.

The owners I’ve talk to seem to be great people and willing to help each other! This forum definitely helped me to pick out years and options on my 228 thank you all!
Can’t wait to get them all in the water together.