228 Model number question...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
This is perhaps one of the simplest questions ever asked here and perhaps meaningless too (lol). I noticed several other 228 owners often put the letter "G" at the end of their boat model number. so is the G variant significant from others? I know Grady has changed the boat over time and it makes sense the model variants be assigned with a letter.

I will have to check my owner's manual to see the variant we own...I honestly have no clue. :wink:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well in that case guys...I have a 228 G. Thanks for answers. My day is complete :lol:

I wish they made a twin option for this boat....I like to fish offshore when I can and having twins would be nice. Too bad they dont have bracket to hang like twin 115s or something like that. I like the boat anyway...

VinMan

Reaction score
It's really kinda silly....when you think about it. If it didn't have a bracket, it would be a 226. Is there a 228 without a bracket? Just thinking out loud. The fishing's been slow and I had nothing else to do. lol

Vinny
2006 228 "G" 225 Yammie
Sunny South Florida

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's Grady Drive, my bracket was not made by Gill.

Sometimes (on the Gulfstream) it may be GT for twin drive if it has twin option vs. single.

catch22

Reaction score
VinMan said:
It's really kinda silly....when you think about it. If it didn't have a bracket, it would be a 226. Is there a 228 without a bracket?

Vinny
2006 228 "G" 225 Yammie
Sunny South Florida

That's a good point.

I think the reason they do that goes back to the Seadrives, (OMC's bracketed outboard) in the mid to early 80's. The full transom Seafarer, with the Seadrive, was just called a "228". Later on, they did away with Seadrives and started using the Grady bracket... "228G".

See page 15 of their 1985 catalog - http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/cata ... s/1985.pdf

To answer your question... yes, it would be possiblt to have a 228, (full transom) that had it's original Seadrive replaced with a either a Grady drive, or other after market bracket.