228 repower

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello all,
Still looking for a boat, but after reading the advice of many here, I decided to at least look for a outboard in my price range. So I did locate a 1990 228 seafarer. The current owner says the boat came with twin 150’s and currently has a 2007 single 225 Optimax now to my question. It has a single motor base so I am wondering if the bases are just bolt on like an out drive, or was the back of this boat reglassed and repaired. Can’t really see anything from the pictures, but current base is just wide enough for a single engine Going this week to look at it. Current owner doesn’t have any more info.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Engines are hard mounted to the transom via thru bolts. If they went from 2 to 1, there are (4) holes per engine that would have to be filled. You should be able to pick them out. Need to make sure they were filled/glassed right.

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks at least I know what to look for.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's done a lot, nothing to be worried about as long as the holes were addressed properly.

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anything special on the inside to look for?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
It maybe easier to find old holes by looking in the inside of the transom.
I didn't know Seafarer came with twins, that is news to me but I never looked at a seafarer that old.
I thought 228's had a full transom and the motor was on a bracket, 226 was the same boat with open transom and discontinued now.
225 Optimax is a good motor , as a 2 stroke much noisier at idle and noticeably noisier at speed as well. Older models had some issues with the compressor and Merc oil is expensive. I had a 250 Opti in my old boat for 7 years never any problems with it and lower fuel use than my current 4.2L 250 Yam .

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All I know is what I was told. Going to look at it next weekend. Current owner let
Me know because all the paperwork says twin 150.. excited to check it out. Not sure whey they would have repowered new guy doesn’t know. Thanks for the tips

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This boat has a live well in the back is there a way to access the transom to see without tearing the boat apart?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you remove the 2 rear jump seats (just lift right off), you might be able to see what you need to with a flashlight.
To remove the livewell takes about 20 mins if you care.
I've removed my livewell a bunch of times for various projects. It's not so bad....
Putting down a towel over the lip where the livewell was after you remove it helps save your stomach from scrapes and bruises as you have to hang over deep in the bilge to swap it out.
You remove the lid first, then there are screws holding down the box, after that there is a ss clamp on a hose you need to loosen up on the bottom of the livewell. Access that through the jump seat. Remove the hose from the livewell. Out comes the livewell.

I also have never heard of a 228 fitted with twins~very interesting.....

Last edited:

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Perfect that should be so bad. Thanks!!

Biggun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
At least this way when I take out my tools to tear some other guys boat apart I can tell him I know what I am doing cuz I read on a stollen text on line

Thanks again!!
I figured it couldn’t be too bad..just hands and knees time again!! Ten years with an old I/O I spent many hrs like that!!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good call on the flashlight. Definitely bring a good one with you.

Jack23

Reaction score
first I've heard of twins on a 228. i imagine the stern on that boat sat low. check scuppers and deck. also, this might be different on the earlier versions, but my 2005 228 can't hold 2 outboards on the bracket. Made for single engine application.

seasick

Reaction score
The 1995 Grady brochure states the max hp at 230 so it would not have had twin 150s. The brochure also does not list twins as an option.
In addition to a flashlight, bring a mirror in case you need to see up into confined space. I use an inspection mirror that has an extendable handle.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like the last time Grady offered twins on the Seafarer was 1992 and it was the 226, not the 228. Twin 130's probably, as the max HP was 280. Not seeing twin 150's.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That's what I thought as well KY but you guys should know better than me, you have lots of Grady's there, not that many in Australia .
The most I've seen are in several visits to your country especially in Florida.