228 Repower

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey all,

I was looking for some insight on repowering a 2002 GW 228. I currently have a Yamaha F200. If I repower I would like a 225-250. My options around here are Yamaha, Merc, or Suzuki. I do have some water intrusion in my bracket so I would consider resealing or replacing the bracket as well. The paint on the bracket is still intact however I am starting to see some bubbling of the paint. Any suggestions?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would go for a Mercury V8 4.6lt 250 hp ideal for your boat and the lightest 250 4 stroke you can buy at 540 lb for a 25" shaft. If you want a 225 Merc V6 3.4 lt ond about 490 lb for a 25" shaft. Both engines come with 85 amp alternator. Not sure on the 225 but the 250 can come with DTS.
Next best Yamaha 4.2lt 250 or 225 , both weigh the same about 570 lb, both 70 amp alternator , I think both can come with DTS.
I wouldn't bother with Zuke as they are much heavier at over 600 lb and small alternators, 54 amp I think.

Reactions: jimever

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
V8 mercury 250 V8. Weighs 505 pounds. Whisper quite and match it with a stern lifting rev 4 would probably be ideal.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2000 228 and ruled out the Suzuki for now due to the weight. I want to match my OX66 weight as close as possible. I have a 225 and want to go up to a 250. I was leaning towards Yamaha but may look at the mercury as well, but probably wouldn’t give it a fair chance as I feel like it’s easier to find Yamaha mechanics than Mercury by me

What makes you think you have water intrusion in the bracket? I feel like mine might as well but not sure I can tell until I pull at the end of season.

How much would a new bracket cost you?

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last year I had to pump water out of the bracket a couple times. The top seal needed to be re siliconed. You will notice the weight of the water in the bracket when you try to get on plane. Also, the stern will will sit lower when parked. Im not sure what the bracket would cost. I know all of the Yamaha mechanics in my area. (I've been having some issues the last year or so. Its actually do to go back in because it seems one of the cylinders isn't firing. Could be bad wires, not sure yet. I'll have to give Merc a hard look.

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is the stern lift a prop? Im not familiar with that.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Is the stern lift a prop? Im not familiar with that.

The 4 blade prop will provide more stern lift. There has to be a thread somewhere on this forum with performance numbers from a 228 with that engine.

Go with an electronic throttle if possible; it holds rpm better than a cable throttle and the responsiveness makes docking/low speed maneuvering a breeze.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last year I had to pump water out of the bracket a couple times. The top seal needed to be re siliconed. You will notice the weight of the water in the bracket when you try to get on plane. Also, the stern will will sit lower when parked. Im not sure what the bracket would cost. I know all of the Yamaha mechanics in my area. (I've been having some issues the last year or so. Its actually do to go back in because it seems one of the cylinders isn't firing. Could be bad wires, not sure yet. I'll have to give Merc a hard look.
Brackets are big money for a replacement. If you want can pull off old one and have it powder coated for less than 500 bucks. Install with 4200. I filled up my bracket with ping pong balls so if water ever finds a way in, the will displace it somewhat and add flotation LOL.

I whetted the bolt holes in the transom with epoxy on a wood dowel in the hopes of keeping H2O out of my transom.

Good luck!

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My experience with repowering my 228 from an OX225 to a Suzuki 250:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
V8 mercury 250 V8. Weighs 505 pounds. Whisper quite and match it with a stern lifting rev 4 would probably be ideal.
Not that light 527 lbs for the 20" shaft he needs 25" so about 540lbs.
From my experience having a Merc 250 Opti in my old 228 I found Enertia prop to be the most suitable for my application, offshore fishing. I tried Mirage and 4 blade Trophy plus ( more lift)

Gearcase ratio
  • 1.75:1
Dry weight *Lightest model available
  • 527 lbs / 239 kgs

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 2000 228 and ruled out the Suzuki for now due to the weight. I want to match my OX66 weight as close as possible. I have a 225 and want to go up to a 250. I was leaning towards Yamaha but may look at the mercury as well, but probably wouldn’t give it a fair chance as I feel like it’s easier to find Yamaha mechanics than Mercury by me

What makes you think you have water intrusion in the bracket? I feel like mine might as well but not sure I can tell until I pull at the end of season.

How much would a new bracket cost you?

If you have a Merc dealer close by and you use the boat for fishing, running electronics , live well etc... consider the Merc she has a big alternator. My 250 Yam has a 70 amp alt and it is adequate.
Easy to find out if you have water in the bracket, take the top plate off and you can see. Even if it is in the water, ideally out of the water then you can real it. You don't need a new bracket these last a long time, pull it off and repaint it in two pack or powder coating.
When you have the boat out of the water fill the bracket with water and watch for leaks, if no leaks water comes in from the top plate. As the boat lives in the water use some sealant to seal and screw it back on.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Next best Yamaha 4.2lt 250 or 225 , both weigh the same about 570 lb, both 70 amp alternator , I think both can come with DTS.
I wouldn't bother with Zuke as they are much heavier at over 600 lb and small alternators, 54 amp I think.
Yamaha’s do not have an alternator, they use staters. The 25” shaft Yamaha 4.2l outboards weigh 551lbs according to Yamaha.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My friend you are correct on the 551 lb, I said 570lb because I estimated the oils. from Yamaha website . In Australia they are listed as 259 kg (570 lb) because they include oils.
*Weight refers to shortest shaft length, and is measured without motor oil, gearcase oil and propeller (except models 25 hp and under, which include a standard propeller). All Jet model weights include the jet pump assembly (weight estimated).

I think you are splitting hairs on stator and alternator. Yamaha called it alternator:
Alternator Output at W.O.T.50 - 70 Amp

An alternator is simply a self contained assembly that is used to generate AC power.
The stator is the hoop shaped copper wire winding with output wires to your DC rectifier, the rotor has magnets attached and spins inside the hoop. The magnetic field passes though the copper stator wires and creates electrical current, which then converts to DC current in the rectifier module (12v DC power that keeps the engine running and charges the battery).
At the end of the day you can call it whatever you like but the Yam charging system has 70 amp and the Merc 85 amp. In my none marine but many years motor experience I call it alternator.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If I get to the point of needing to re-power.. lord help me.. the price differences between a Zuke 200 and anything 225 and up... is going to seriously push me to go Zukes and downgrade from old yam 225s. 5k per engine is just too dang much of a difference.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My friend you are correct on the 551 lb, I said 570lb because I estimated the oils. from Yamaha website . In Australia they are listed as 259 kg (570 lb) because they include oils.
*Weight refers to shortest shaft length, and is measured without motor oil, gearcase oil and propeller (except models 25 hp and under, which include a standard propeller). All Jet model weights include the jet pump assembly (weight estimated).

I think you are splitting hairs on stator and alternator. Yamaha called it alternator:
Alternator Output at W.O.T.50 - 70 Amp
An alternator is simply a self contained assembly that is used to generate AC power.

The stator is the hoop shaped copper wire winding with output wires to your DC rectifier, the rotor has magnets attached and spins inside the hoop. The magnetic field passes though the copper stator wires and creates electrical current, which then converts to DC current in the rectifier module (12v DC power that keeps the engine running and charges the battery).
At the end of the day you can call it whatever you like but the Yam charging system has 70 amp and the Merc 85 amp. In my none marine but many years motor experience I call it alternator.
Oh, I agree on the alternator, I was corrected when I called it an alternator by the smartest guy in the room, so was just passing on his knowledge.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If I get to the point of needing to re-power.. lord help me.. the price differences between a Zuke 200 and anything 225 and up... is going to seriously push me to go Zukes and downgrade from old yam 225s. 5k per engine is just too dang much of a difference.
You get what you pay for. You can get up to 200 hp in 4 cylinders, if you want more hp you have to go to a 6 cyl, hence the extra $$$.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very true. If I can hold out long enough, who knows, may get all fancy and hit the lottery and decide to splurge lol. Imo, I would really like to be able to find the best mpg choice and not worry about price heh....anyway, I get the luxury of learning from all the folks that do it before me heh.

fastexas

Reaction score
Very true. If I can hold out long enough, who knows, may get all fancy and hit the lottery and decide to splurge lol. Imo, I would really like to be able to find the best mpg choice and not worry about price heh....anyway, I get the luxury of learning from all the folks that do it before me heh.
So a lottery win = 7 Marine 627?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol! Hell no...but would be funny:p

A lottery win would be a brand new express;)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I repowered in 17 from a 3.3 to a 4.2 liter Yamaha. I went digital and the motor is great. I have a Garmin system with radar,VHF and Alpine marine stereo. I have two batteries and even with the 3.3 I never had an electrical issue and I surely don't with the 4.2. I used my square smart gauges and saved some coin there. I must admit having 8 cylinders with .4 more cubic liters of displacement would be nice. It's your boat do what you wish. I drink the Yamaha Grey Raspberry Koolaide myself. I don't think you would regret going with yammy or moving to Mercury.

If you get a 4 blade prop you will get better Low speed performance and you will get better lower planning speed, better cruise performance too. You loose top end though.

Reactions: wrxhoon