228 Scupper Question

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Every year I replace the 3 black rubber scuppers on the back of my 228, One is for the bait-well and the other 2 are the port and starboard deck drains.
This year the boatyard launched my boat before I had a chance to install them so there are no scuppers installed at all.
My port and starboard deck drains are stainless steel with the black ball that will float up to prevent water from coming in.
But my question is should have the boat lifted to install the scuppers? The deck actually drains water faster without the scuppers unless there is a disadvantage that I don't see?
Any opinions?

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends

How good is your insurance policy?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you have the ball that floats to block the water then the rubber flap is redundant. so no problem.

If you did not have the ball that floats to block the water then the rubber flap would prevent the occasional water from swells and from backing up. That water would just run back out the drain.

Nobody relies on those rubber flaps to prevent sinking anyways.

Funny, one of my rubber flaps had a stripped screw that just fell out so if your foot is near that one it gets wet.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I agree they are redundant because I do have the ball that floats up. The scuppers were never a 100% water tight seal and they always impeded drainage from the deck much more so than the current deck drain with floating ball.
So far. so good.

Moganarok

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I guess I'd put them in but it's easy with trailer for me to take it in and out.

seasick

Reaction score
Why do you remove the flaps during storage?

Moganarok

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I suppose it is less of a concern while in the water but I would put them back in just to keep things out of them and clogging them like bees, mice, sea weed, etc...

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You started the post by saying that you replace them every year, and now you say that you needed a new set. My 228 is 21 years old, and still running the originals, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

seasick

Reaction score
Mine 'last' several or more years but in reality, they get stiff fairly quickly. They continue to drain but don't seal as well as when new. I do agree that replacing every year is overkill.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My '04 228 bought seven years ago has never had the scuppers replaced - When the boat was last hauled out last fall I looked at them and saw no cracks and the water seems to drain ok.

isn't this overkill?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
what's more critical than the flap or ball is the hose. I replaced my scupper hoses last season and upgraded to the current deck drains Grady uses . I bought my new stainless deck drains from Grady . Today I am removing my live well and ordering all new hoses for the wash down and live well. I read in Boat US a few times the number one insurance claim is from dockside sinkings which come from old hoses and open or broken seacocks. If your scupper hoses fail ,say while you're bottom fishing or at the sand bar you will fill your bilge quickly. My 08 flaps still mostly work and have no plans on taking them off and replacing them. My deck drains work very well and water goes out quickly.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Totally agree on replaceing the hoses. I have always replaced mine regularly. Last year when I replaced my deck drains to stainless with black ball to stop backup is the last time I replaced drain hoses.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Which drains did you use bassey?

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I give the deck drains a B.
The metal part is a bit higher than the deck so I had to dremel down to make it more flush.
I should have dremeled down more than level so all the water would drain from the deck. A small amount still remains...