228 Seafarer/livewell drain broke off

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
I was replacing my scupper hoses and the hose from the livewell lays on top of it. I removed the hose from the thru hull fitting to move it out of the way. When I went to push the hose out of the way it came loose from the bottom of the livewell. I finished the scupper hoses and when I got to looking at the livewell it had broken off the actual bottom of the live well. It seems to be really brittle and now it has a big jagged hole where the drain used to be. I emailed GW and they said they no longer make it. What the heck do I do now? :bang

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
I removed the livewell liner and cut back some foam. The fiberglass was very thin around the edge of the hole. It gets thicker as you move away from the hole. I guess i will have to figure out how to fiberglass over the hole and drill a new one. I emailed GW the pictures, they said take it to a fiberglass shop. I am wondering if I could sand it around the outside and tape the hole over on the inside and then just put some epoxy over the outside. Not sure if that would hold or not. I am sure some fiberglass matt and epoxy would be better. I have worked with epoxy but not fiberglass matt.
drainoutside.jpg

draininside.jpg

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem on the first Grady I owned in one of the insulated boxes. I used some fiberglass and epoxy to fill the hole and then re-drilled the hole to the right diameter. I embedded the new fitting in silicone (I didn’t know any better then) and re-clamped the drain hose. This lasted for three years until I sold the boat. It was a little unsightly from the inside of the box because the epoxy color did not match but no one seemed to care as long as the beer stayed cold.