228 seafarer questions

atgvir

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 228 and have a few questions. I am looking for a boat suitable for Bay fishing and some lake water skiing. I really fell in love with the 228. I am going to be purchasing used. What horse power outboard would you recommend for the above purposes? My son wants to learn to wake board and my wife loves saltwater fishing. Do you think this boat would fit the bill?

Thanks

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I have a 226 with a 225 ob and it is perfectly adequate for both functions. If your boat has a hardtop you will be just a bit slower out of the hole and at WOT than one without but not enough to materially affect you. I added a HT to mine. It's the perfect size for the family, just big enough but not so big as to be intimidating in close quarters, also has lots of storage. We don't even bring a cooler as the two fishboxes are so well insulated that a bag of ice brought on board usually has some left in it next day.

I'm sure you and your family will enjoy the purchase.

B8CASTR.

JayT

Reaction score
It is the opinion of many Grady owners that this is the most versatile hull they ever built. You will not find many bad words about this boat on any forum. There are some nice used 228s out there. Good luck and keep us posted! 8)

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1991 228G with a 1991 Yamaha 200 HP and use it in the same way you describe. We find the 200 HP more than sufficient for tubing, wake boarding and especially waterskiing. Our hard top is great and we highly recommend one. Top speed is around 36 MPH at 5300 RPM with a full tank of gas (93 gallons). Last week she easily pulled up me (175 lbs) and my son (100 lbs) out of the water on waterskiis at the same time. She was on plane in 3 seconds flat with both skiers! The only thing you shoud know is that the wake this boat produces is very high for beginner waterskiers and wakeboarder and it takes some practice to learn how to go over or jump it.

This is Grady's most versitile family boat in its fleet. Good Luck!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've found 225 to be plenty of power. I can top out around 42-43 mph depending on the weather conditions, load, etc. but cruise around 30 mph at 4200 RPM.

We don't do a lot of water sports but haven't had any problem getting skiers up quickly.

Drifter80

Reaction score
I have 200hp yamaha on my 95 226 (with an aftermarket hardtop). I have a friend who just bought a 1994 24 expo with a 225 yami... pretty noticeable advantage for him. I'd love a 225 but hopefully I wont have to repower soon. I feel like I'm just a bit too fat for the 200 sometimes.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I use my 228 for the stated pruposes as you intend to use yours. I have a F250 and it has the torque and power to do the job. I will say this, and I dont know if these are standard, but trim tabs are a must for wake boarding. I really dont like being pulled faster than 19 or 20 and the boat does not like to go that slow, so dropping the tabs helps maintain a slower plainning speed. I too have the hard top and love the boat.