228 Seafarer seacock rods for livewell and washdown seacocks

Peahead

Reaction score
Have searched this topic a bit and have yet to find if anyone has come up with there own way of replacing the pivoting ball/joint device that attaches to the end of the rod and allows the up and down movement of the seacock shut off/on lever ? Each of the 2 rods are for controlling the opening and closing of the washdown and Live well seacocks . I have a 2000 Seafarer 228.
I called our Grady dealer here and they suggested they are so expensive that "guys" are just creating there own replacement. They also said they don't ship from Grady until they have enough parts so could be months before I get an order. Basically they sounded completely disinterested in ordering new rods for me.

My question is, is it a better idea to just order these from another Grady dealer because its worth getting the right part or is there a way to replace these "joints" ( at the end of the rods)with something else ( that won't rust!!) easily myself ?

THANKS for any help!

Greg

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Re: 228 Seafarer seacock rods for livewell and washdown seac

:uhm I can't speak to what it would take to replace the fitting, but I'd sure look for another dealer. And I'd let Grady know why you did, they're pretty sensitive about customer service ...

eppem

Reaction score

I can't speak about replacement rods but the "elbow" joint I found at an auto parts store.

Peahead

Reaction score

Agree Curmudgeon, I think another dealer will be best or as eppem suggests perhaps I can do this myself. I think the Grady dealer may be more interested in selling 100,000+ Gradys then worring about ordering parts worth 100 bucks.
The fact that most used Grady's in our area come from cross border shopping to eastern US, may have them a tad frustrated. Thanks guys. Eppem I will try an auto parts place here in Vancouver Canada and see what they have otherwise I may cross border shop for parts !!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Did the rod break or is it just frozen?

If it's frozen, find "Aero Kroil"...its far better than PB Blaster....spray it on the fitting....let it sit for a minute or two, then try to work it. I was able to break mine free without too much trouble.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

I recommend you contact Grady-White Customer Service directly at the factory in Greenville, NC.

These rods were a known problem and GW provided a replacement set for ours a few years ago. I found the best way to replace was to remove the yellow handles from the seacocks with the old stuff still attached, then work the replacement in the garage on the workbench.

I would be surprised if GW doesn't help you in some way with this.

And don't hesitate to tell them about your less-than-helpful dealer.

Good luck,
Brian

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

:uhm Anyone have a pic of the rod and fitting, particularly a closeup of the action end ... :?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Curmudgeon said:
:uhm Anyone have a pic of the rod and fitting, particularly a closeup of the action end ... :?

I can email you some photos. PM me your email address if you want them.

Peahead

Reaction score

Parthery said:
Did the rod break or is it just frozen?

If it's frozen, find "Aero Kroil"...its far better than PB Blaster....spray it on the fitting....let it sit for a minute or two, then try to work it. I was able to break mine free without too much trouble.

The starboard side rod ( live well) broke free but my port side ( washdown) is still working . It is getting quite stiff so thanks for the recommendation of Aero Kriol. I should probably use that so it isn't so stiff that it will break when I really want it - I can always replace in the off season !

Peahead

Reaction score

FYI update:

Had the other seacock arm/rod break off its attachment/elbow to the washdown seacock leaving without the ability to control the shut off/on the seacock. I contacted Grady White and while they wouldn't provide me with replacement arms, Carolyn at customer service told me that the new Seacock Control Arm they use now in their Grady's is from T-H Marine Supply in Alabama and that the 228 Seafarer uses the part "Seacock-24" which is 24" long.

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Aerati ... ration-Arm

I ordered 2 of them and will be about 2 weeks. Getting the new ones installed may be a bit of a challenge as I have to remove the stern live well on the 228 seafarer to get at them .....of course the live well can't be removed without taking off its drain hose and fill hose. Removing the fill hose was easy but getting at the drain hose hose clamp attached to underneath the live well seems impossible so will have to remove the hose from the other end at the drain point/thru hull on the transom ( which is mostly below the water line similar position to the scuppers which are also below waterline on a 228 !!!!!! - just hate that !!!) Wondering also why Grady has the live well drain hose so short that you can't pull the live well fully out with it still attached !!!! That would be too easy !!! Now have to do a full haul-out and onto the hard for a few days as I don't want to be pulling hoses off thru hulls while still in moorage. Once I get the live well out it still will be tough accesessing bilge area ( I am not at all a small agile kind of guy, lol) to get at the seacocks and then attempt to remove the old rusty "elbow" and bolts from the seacock on/off levers ( and do it all over again to install the new arms) .........then I hope I can get back out of the bilge after going down in there head first!!

Reactions: Ramblin Reck

gofishdw

Reaction score

Does anyone know the name of the collar at the end of seacock rod
or where I can buy one.
Thanks

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265

Can't say what the technical name is but I call them ball joints and I found replacements for the seacock rods on my 265 from Midwest Control Products. Pulled the old rusted out ones out, cleaned the rods up and these were direct screw on replacements in all stainless steel. Model I used was the SQI-312, in 5/16-24 thread.

Brett

Attachments

• SQI-312.jpg
    SQI-312.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,685

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you for all the information I had the same problem bought the replacement sqi-312 part my problem wast to take the rusted part off the rod, I ended up cutting the rusted part and slightly the rod with the dremel cutter narrow cut , then the rusted part unscrewed .