228 seafarer seaswirl proline

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am happy to share. She's a 1984, so there is evidence of her age....small things that I continue to work on with a little gelcoat here and there. From a confidence perspective, I have more confidence in what I have than buying anything used that is older than 5 years. I know exactly what I have and where. Except for the shell of the boat, hardtop, and hull...it's all new and up to today's standards. For example, I installed a marine circuit breaker panel for power to various circuits vs fuses all over the place. And, I store it indoors and trailer when I want to use it. No more extended UV damage or water exposure....

I know the transom and stringers aren't going anywhere. I redid the transom to enclose it and it is a beast. There is a bit of bias since the boat was a restoration project...but it gets so many compliments it makes me smile. At the marina, gas station, etc....people just have to come over and can't believe it's a 1984 model.

And then there's the giddy up and go. Pulling out the marina and everyone makes their run off shore....and the old 1984 seafarer lets them taste some wake. LOL!

I ordered a 300 Mercury I-6 Verado in February 2018. It was one of the last production units made of that generation before they switched to V8. I have absolutely ZERO regrets. It took 3.5 months to come in. Silky smooth, quietest motor I've ever been around, amazing mid line punch.... 2.76 mpg at 28-32 mph with 5 guys and 5/8 fuel, all rods out, hard top, and all gear on board. Typical top speed with that load is 48. I've touched 50...and that feels really fast! If you look in my prior post I have a link to my Youtube page that covers a lot of what I did...View attachment 9663
I DID WATCH ALL YOUR YOU TUBE VIDS thats a huge project or should i say a love for being inside a boat period tnx to you that will give many people an idea of whats going on Im convinced on a grady 228 with a hard top and understand anything else with the boat can be dealt with

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am happy to share. She's a 1984, so there is evidence of her age....small things that I continue to work on with a little gelcoat here and there. From a confidence perspective, I have more confidence in what I have than buying anything used that is older than 5 years. I know exactly what I have and where. Except for the shell of the boat, hardtop, and hull...it's all new and up to today's standards. For example, I installed a marine circuit breaker panel for power to various circuits vs fuses all over the place. And, I store it indoors and trailer when I want to use it. No more extended UV damage or water exposure....

I know the transom and stringers aren't going anywhere. I redid the transom to enclose it and it is a beast. There is a bit of bias since the boat was a restoration project...but it gets so many compliments it makes me smile. At the marina, gas station, etc....people just have to come over and can't believe it's a 1984 model.

And then there's the giddy up and go. Pulling out the marina and everyone makes their run off shore....and the old 1984 seafarer lets them taste some wake. LOL!

I ordered a 300 Mercury I-6 Verado in February 2018. It was one of the last production units made of that generation before they switched to V8. I have absolutely ZERO regrets. It took 3.5 months to come in. Silky smooth, quietest motor I've ever been around, amazing mid line punch.... 2.76 mpg at 28-32 mph with 5 guys and 5/8 fuel, all rods out, hard top, and all gear on board. Typical top speed with that load is 48. I've touched 50...and that feels really fast! If you look in my prior post I have a link to my Youtube page that covers a lot of what I did...View attachment 9663
with a 300 on her did you have to put some weight in the bow to even up the added weight on the tansom i over powered my last boat by 25 hp and noticed a difference when i added about 150 lbs on the bow with 3/8'' anchor chain

UCPA111

Reaction score
with a 300 on her did you have to put some weight in the bow to even up the added weight on the tansom i over powered my last boat by 25 hp and noticed a difference when i added about 150 lbs on the bow with 3/8'' anchor chain
I did a couple things to balance out the load. The prior owner had 100# of sand in the cabin. I didn't want to do that. So:
- I moved my main fuel tank forward. I didn't have an aux tank and that was an empty compartment. I cut out the bulkhead and moved the fuel tank forward.
- I moved batteries forward to a compartment I made where the fuel tank was located. So, still in rear of boat but not on the stern.
- I designed the outboard/transom bracket with extra/oversize flotation chamber. This offset another 330# or so of weight.

It all worked out beautifully. Sits perfect in the water.