228 Seafarer Shade Ideas

GulfSea

Reaction score
Ok, I'm beginning to make a little headway with equipping my new to me Grady. I'm in a spot now where I can initiate some FL summer sun protection before the sunburns begin. It's got a hard top and a local canvas shop has already suggested a Bimini for the back half of the boat. With a clean start, I hope to put just the right thing in so all I'll ever had to do going forward is replace canvas.

I know the common methods of providing shade but hoped to come up with something with as few restrictions as possible. It isn't necessary to run with as the primary use would be camping and/or hanging out while anchored. And purely sun protection; if it's raining, we won't be out in it other than fishing using existing protections. Have you guys seen anything interesting or unusual to use. I assume it's been discussed before but a quick search didn't reveal too much.

Thanks, Steve

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do not remember if it was on here or THT, but there were pictures of a retractable frame that did not require any supports aft. He had mounted a "U" shape frame in fittings placed on the hard top. The mounts looked like rail fittings and the frame slide in the mount. Canvas was attached by small bungee adaptors. Probably not doing a great job describing this.

A friend of mine has a shade for his 283. His attaches by zipper or velcro to the rod holders on the hardtop. It is supported aft by poles that fit in the rod holders. The top is tightened by straps down to the transom area. Like you mentioned, his is only for shade while at anchor. The best part of his system is the whole things stores easily and his does not have a Bimini fram in the way.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did the same thing. I used two 8 ft. X 3/4 inch dowels in the rear rod holders. I pre-drilled and screwed ring screws in each end and ran ropes from the rings to the rear transom and to the hardtop and tightened everything up. I got a cheap 12ft X 12ft. tarp and duct-taped it to the hard top and ran it to the rear and pulled it tight to the rear motor well with bungee cords. On the sides I folded them under the ropes and pulled the sides together with bungee cords.

All this looked horrible but it lasted for a four day trip down the Ten-Tom waterway and across the gulf from Mobile, AL to Pass Christian MS. It got a lot of laughs from the people working the locks on the river. After the trip I folded everything up and I have it ready for use on our next trip. Total cost was around $25. It protected us from a couple of showers and a lot of sun. When it rained, I used an expandable boat hook to hold the center so rain wouldn't pocket in the middle.

I'll send pictures if you send me your email address.

PA228G

Reaction score
I have a separate canvas top that mounts to two standard bimini pins/threaded mounts on top of each gunnel. It came with the boat when I bought it a few years ago - never actually used it - so I don't have any pics other than it sitting in my garage. And thanks for the jab - it's 25deg outside and cloudy here.

No idea how I'd ship it or I'd sell it to you if you want it.

GulfSea

Reaction score
PA228G said:
I have a separate canvas top that mounts to two standard bimini pins/threaded mounts on top of each gunnel. It came with the boat when I bought it a few years ago - never actually used it - so I don't have any pics other than it sitting in my garage. And thanks for the jab - it's 25deg outside and cloudy here.

No idea how I'd ship it or I'd sell it to you if you want it.

Can you send pics or post them here? If so, send them to steve1058@gmail.com. If it mounts to the back up the hardtop, along the rocket launchers and back across the deck, it sounds like it's exactly what I need. I can figure out shipping if we can work it out.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I still have not purchased the outriggers...the economy is still not back to where it needs to be...anyway, the one that I liked alot was actually in Anchorlines from Grady White two years ago...they had a picture of a larger walk around with an aft shade that went from the hard top to the stern with 2 poles in the aft rod holders and tension straps going aft again. The look was clean and seemed like something one could do with ease either with a tarp or giant piece of sunbrella.

I had a extra bimini top made for my 192 and the way we had it made it could still be deployed and you could troll still, although at times it was PITA :lol:

If had my outriggers I would use them as support for a tarp while at anchor.

I wish there was something that was like a window shade where you could attach it to the hard top and roll it out part way for trolling and then all the way for cruising, camping and so forth. The jump seats behind the capt and companio seats could use a little bit more shade while fishing. Then you could keep the fishing space free and clear but add some shade.