228 Seafarer Washdown pump issue

ibuyre111

Reaction score
I have a 1999 228 Seafarer with the washdown and livewell connected to one pump controlled under the livewell switch. I only use one sea cock to draw water into the boat with the washdown seacock shut down/closed off. Water is drawn into the boat thur the livewell seacock. There is also a control knob that I turn to have the pump activated after I turn the livewell switch on. The pump works fine for about 15-20 seconds then shuts off and then I have to turn the knob off and then on again to reactivate the washdown pump.
Any ideas as to why I have to keep turning off/on the knob to get washdown to work again?

no problem

Reaction score
Sounds like the integral pressure switch in your pump is hanging up. you may be able to dismantle it clean it and reassemble. If its a shurflo blaster they're kind of notorious for failures. I now just replace mine when it's questionable. My trailer brakes last longer than my wash down pumps! There's nothing worse than killing your live bait when you knew your pump was questionable. Mine was mounted wrong side up when I bought my boat (thanks to the previous owner, no doubt). Good luck with it!

ibuyre111

Reaction score
Thanks for the response...The pump is brand new this season. I had it installed by my local Grady dealer. Hopefully they know what they are doing. I will check into it further.
T

seasick

Reaction score
Did the new pump ever work correctly?
Does the washdown hose/nozzle spray at all?
Since it takes 20 seconds to stop and then restarts after you play with the knob which I assume is the selector valve, it seems tha the pump is reaching pressure and shutting off. When you turn the knob you are releasing pressure into the livewell, I suspect. So either the washdown plumping has a blockage, the pump is plumbed incorrectly, or there is a checkvalve somewhere that stops the flow. If you have a washdown hose connected, remove it and try the pump. If it works, the hose is blocked.

If the new pump never worked, you will have to go back to Grady

ibuyre111

Reaction score
Coming out of the pump is a Y hose valve with 1/4 turn shutoffs one going to the washdown outlet and the other leading to the livewell. The livewell valve is shut off so no water is going to the livewell.
I will disconnect the hose and nozzle from the washdown outlet and run the pump and see what happends.

Since i've had the boat(6mos) it has been this way.
The washdown works fine with the hose but shuts off after about 20 seconds.
Then I have to turn the knob off and then on again to restart the pump. This knob is associated with the livewell im guessing. To regulate the flow
Hope this helps