228 Seafarer Yamaha 250hp outboard sits low in water

Shane9052

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Aloha,
Has anyone had an issue with your motor sitting low. A friend of mine just got his 228 and seams the the motor sit low in the water. The water line is almost past the seal of the motor cover. Also when trying to get to plain it take a while . Should he raise the motor a few inches? Also he is burning about 6 gallons an hour. This boat is a 2019.
Aloha,
Shane

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Aloha,
Has anyone had an issue with your motor sitting low. A friend of mine just got his 228 and seams the the motor sit low in the water. The water line is almost past the seal of the motor cover. Also when trying to get to plain it take a while . Should he raise the motor a few inches? Also he is burning about 6 gallons an hour. This boat is a 2019.
Aloha,
Shane

Pics when you can, will help with answers. Here's my 228 with a F225, should be close to same weight, loaded to fish. Also a buddy's 228 with a late model F250 and you can see his waterline. If you're deeper than these, then you have a problem.
20181013_074114.jpg20190224_131511.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds too low for sure. I'd see if you can raise it. Hopefully they did not mount it incorrectly. The factory does most, so I doubt that.

Reactions: Shane9052

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The water line is almost past the seal of the motor cover.
Something else is going on. Like a lot of water in the bilge, for example. There's no way that the few inches of vertical adjustment of the bracket holes will drop the motor hood anywhere near the waterline. Plus, there is no way that a dealer would set it up THAT wrong, even if they could - which they can't.

Are you sure your friend remembered to put the plug in?

6 gph at what rpm/speed?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Water in bilge and possibly the bracket also. My buddy's motor was also mounted in the lower hole after his repower and he still wasn't sitting as deep as what you say your friends boat is.

Reactions: Shane9052

Shane9052

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Something else is going on. Like a lot of water in the bilge, for example. There's no way that the few inches of vertical adjustment of the bracket holes will drop the motor hood anywhere near the waterline. Plus, there is no way that a dealer would set it up THAT wrong, even if they could - which they can't.

Are you sure your friend remembered to put the plug in?

6 gph at what rpm/speed?
trolling speed at 7 to 8 knots.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Sounds like the bracket and or bilge is full of water. A 2019 228 has a bigger bracket that pre 2012 models as well so more flotation. The fuel tank is far forward ( only one tank ) with the water tank further back but no where near the end of the deck cover .

wlewis

Reaction score
If it’s a 2019, it had to have been rigged at factory so you have to assume motor was mounted in correct holes. Bilge and or bracket must be full of water.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pretty much at the waterline, maybe bottom 1/3 in the water. But I also have a trolling motor and 2 extra Group 27 batteries in the back.

moklodge

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet a decent sum of money that the engine bracket is full of water. Many yards don't check the bracket drain plug before launching and it doesn't take long for the bracket to fill. It's also very easy to cross thread the plug being plastic and screwing into aluminum threads. Had that problem this year with a Parker 23 and it uses the same Armstrong bracket set up.