228 seafarer

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
eh boys not having much luck up here in canada finding a good 228 seafarer
some have been rotten and some fuel tanks leaking
thinking of getting an old one 89 ish and having it all rebuilt new transom stringers fuel tank motors, 250 to 300 electronics cushions canvas side curtains wiring and re gelcoated inside and out
thing is it will be not a sv2 hull any thoughts do the sv2 hulls scuppers sit higher on transom
second can you put a new 300 hp yam 4 stroke on her on a pod that weigsh 550lbs plus a 9.9 yam high thrust 110 lbs will that be too heavy for the scuppers to handle
contemplating yam or suzuki but the new yam 225 to 300 are alot lighter than the zukes

Reactions: Ramblin Reck

UCPA111

Reaction score
I bought my 1984 Seafarer in 2017. Restored it as you are indicating. Videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

I went with 300 Mercury Verado. I did not add a kicker. I saw no need to add that complexity and weight. I troll on Lake Erie for Walleye. I use the Verado. Get to 1.6 mph. Toss a bag if I want to go slower but typically I am bumping up speed. Quiet and efficient. No problems. I have oil analyzed annually....all looks good. Digital controls and power steering. It's a fantastic combination.

Lake Erie is short period chop. I think the boat rides very well. I have trim tabs and use that to my advantage. Trolling...very stable. I've not ridden on a SeaV2. Unless someone tells me you can drive a seafarer at 30 mph in 4' waves on Lake Erie with SeaV2, I don't think you'll miss it. I am sure there is some improvement with SeaV2....great marketing for sure. So, I won't knock it...just saying that without it...the boat is still a great boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I bought my 1984 Seafarer in 2017. Restored it as you are indicating. Videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

I went with 300 Mercury Verado. I did not add a kicker. I saw no need to add that complexity and weight. I troll on Lake Erie for Walleye. I use the Verado. Get to 1.6 mph. Toss a bag if I want to go slower but typically I am bumping up speed. Quiet and efficient. No problems. I have oil analyzed annually....all looks good. Digital controls and power steering. It's a fantastic combination.

Lake Erie is short period chop. I think the boat rides very well. I have trim tabs and use that to my advantage. Trolling...very stable. I've not ridden on a SeaV2. Unless someone tells me you can drive a seafarer at 30 mph in 4' waves on Lake Erie with SeaV2, I don't think you'll miss it. I am sure there is some improvement with SeaV2....great marketing for sure. So, I won't knock it...just saying that without it...the boat is still a great boat.

new merc non-verado v8s weigh 500 pounds

sv2 ride is great but it doesn't go slow in a straight line

Last edited:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
UCPA111 has the in line 6 supercharged Verado if i'm not mistaken a lot heavier than the new V8 , like 150 lb heavier.
If I was to repower my boat I would fit a 300 Merc V8, not saying my 4.2 Yam is not good, it is but I like Mercs better. I wouldn't consider Zukes , much heavier , offset shaft and terrible memories of the old 2 stroke Zukes , their other name was anodes that's how quick they corroded.

howitzer, If I was you I would buy a late model boat as late as you can afford , just travel to USA where the boats are , it is very close afterall.
I bought my current one in Florida and the one before in Georgia, shipping cost to AU Usd10k+
The older boats are only rated to 250 hp, i'm sure they can handle 300hp but in AU you need to stick to the max for insurance
purposes. The 300 hp max came about 2011 in conjunction with the full alloy bracket step.
Good luck in your search.
Are you in
Vancouver ?

Reactions: UCPA111

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For the amount of money you'll be spending on rebuilding a 80's model boat, why don't you hunt for a newer SV2 hull that needs a repower? Seems like you'd be farther ahead.

UCPA111

Reaction score
UCPA111 has the in line 6 supercharged Verado if i'm not mistaken a lot heavier than the new V8 , like 150 lb heavier.
If I was to repower my boat I would fit a 300 Merc V8, not saying my 4.2 Yam is not good, it is but I like Mercs better. I wouldn't consider Zukes , much heavier , offset shaft and terrible memories of the old 2 stroke Zukes , their other name was anodes that's how quick they corroded.

howitzer, If I was you I would buy a late model boat as late as you can afford , just travel to USA where the boats are , it is very close afterall.
I bought my current one in Florida and the one before in Georgia, shipping cost to AU Usd10k+
The older boats are only rated to 250 hp, i'm sure they can handle 300hp but in AU you need to stick to the max for insurance
purposes. The 300 hp max came about 2011 in conjunction with the full alloy bracket step.
Are you in
Vancouver ?
I think the L6 Verado I have is around 660#. When I designed my flotation bracket/swim platform, I was able to make adjustments for additional flotation and offset 330# of motor weight. I would not want to hang a newer 4 stroke with that kind of weight on the transom without additional flotation.

UCPA111

Reaction score
If buying an older model, you definitely don't want to pay too much.
I paid $2800 for the boat with trailer. Had brand new isinglass enclosure. It was a great deal, but I knew what I was getting into with overhauling it. I invested to make it "like new" with all mechanicals and electrical systems.

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Are you in
Vancouver ?
I live on vancouver island.The 10 plus year old gradys Ive seen in the US are around $50 US currency which is $67 cdn plus $8000 tax at the border $9000 cdn to ship not including trailer brakes bearings tires$1000 cdn for the long trip and electric over hydraulic actuator system installed $2000cnd as in bc anything over 6000gvw they are required so $50US is pushing $90 cdn

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Nice part of the world, I fished for salmon there a few years ago.
I'm in the same boat as you here in AU. I bought 2013 Seafarer 228 in FL in December 2018 so 5 or so years old and 200 hours and kept on lift with cover on the top for two years before that she was in Thunder lake Wisconsin . Paid $62k US that was $88k AU at the time. by the time I got her home paid the tax, shipping etc....total cost about $120k AU then I installed auto pilot and decent sounder outriggers etc.
We have to have electric over hydraulic brakes here on anything above 2000kgs but this is a good thing. You can buy the actuator here for $800 AU. The problem here is the trailer can't be more than 2.5 mtrs wide (8'2 1/4") US trailers are 2.59 mtrs so we have to modify them.
Do the maths before you buy a very old boat it could cost almost as much as a late model by the time you bring her up to scratch.

Good luck in your search..

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in the same boat as you here in AU. I bought 2013 Seafarer 228 in FL in December 2018 so 5 or so years old and 200 hours and kept on lift with cover on the top for two years before that she was in Thunder lake Wisconsin . Paid $62k US that was $88k AU at the time. by the time I got her home paid the tax, shipping etc....total cost about $120k AU then I installed auto pilot and decent sounder outriggers etc.
We have to have electric over hydraulic brakes here on anything above 2000kgs but this is a good thing. You can buy the actuator here for $800 AU. The problem here is the trailer can't be more than 2.5 mtrs wide (8'2 1/4") US trailers are 2.59 mtrs so we have to modify them.
Do the maths before you buy a very old boat it could cost almost as much as a late model by the time you bring her up to scratch.

ive had a quote on a 89 seafarer 228 with new 225 yam 4 stroke 9.9 high thrust new budget electronics no radar new hardtop new canvas and cushions new wiring and switches new stringers if required and aluminum fuel tank coosaboard transom new 6000 carry cap.aluminum trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes and i agree that style of brakes are excellent The hull is all re gelcoated inside and out including cuddy the floor is gel coated with a roller with new grady pinstripping and the bottom is painted black with sluffing paint totaling $65 plus tax if you want gelcoat bottom then its another $3500 There $160 here tax in

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For the amount of money you'll be spending on rebuilding a 80's model boat, why don't you hunt for a newer SV2 hull that needs a repower? Seems like you'd be farther ahead.
yup id prefer just a hull as i would buy new power and new trailer

howitzer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
ive had a quote on a 89 seafarer 228 with new 225 yam 4 stroke 9.9 high thrust new budget electronics no radar new hardtop new canvas and cushions new wiring and switches new stringers if required and aluminum fuel tank coosaboard transom new 6000 carry cap.aluminum trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes and i agree that style of brakes are excellent The hull is all re gelcoated inside and out including cuddy the floor is gel coated with a roller with new grady pinstripping and the bottom is painted black with sluffing paint totaling $65 plus tax if you want gelcoat bottom then its another $3500 There $160 here tax in
also when revamping these 80`s gradys the scuppers are raised higher than stock to accomodate the newer 4 strokes

wrxhoon

Reaction score

I would still prefer to spend the $65k and buy a 4-5 yo boat that has been trailer or lift kept without bottom paint. This way you are almost certain the hull is 100% in good nick. Keep the motor for say 5 years or 1000 hours then re-power, the boat would still be in good nick as long as you look after it.
I bought and older boat in 2011 ( 12 yo) because I wanted to try the Grady brand, she had a 250 hp 2 stroke Yam, was never bottom painted , on a lift in a lake in Georgia but I was in USA so I inspected the boat myself. The hull was almost perfect besides been dull on the top and rear sides and vista top. He had an old steel trailer there as well but I didn't take that, I had a brand new ally trailer made to Australian specs. I re-power as soon as I got her home with a 250 Merc Optimax, kept her for 7 years and sold her when I bought the new to me 2013 hardtop that I have now. I was lucky when I bout the older boat our $ bought me $1.05 US, not so with the newer boat at 71 cents. You win some you loose some.
If I was re-powering mine I would buy a 300 hp ( max for my boat), if you end up buying this old boat Re-power with 250 not much diff in price and you never know when you may need the extra 25 hp. Don't forget to price in a new hydraulic steering as well.
I would also go for Kodiak full stainless steel brakes , I know they are 3 times the price but you will not regret it.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide , I'm guessing you need the kicker for very slow trolling for salmon. I use the main engine here as I troll much faster but I even use it for slow live bait trolling for marlin.