228 Seafarer?

Road Trip

Reaction score
Good morning. I'm in the market for a boat, and I think the 228 Seafarer may suit our needs but wanted some thoughts. Our use would be as follows here in the Carolinas: cruising/tubing/skiing/sandbar/beach with wife and two young daughters (80%) and nearshore and offshore fishing up to 60 miles or so (20%). We would be keeping the boat on the trailer and launching locally. Maybe tow it to the Keys for a vacation one day. Ideally, I'd like to find an early to mid 2000's hull in good shape with updated power. Anything in particular I should look out for, e.g., any years to avoid, what is adequate power for my intended uses, etc.? Any other Grady models (or other boats) I should be considering? I've focused on the 228 b/c it seems to be a lot of boat for the size but I'm open to suggestions. One thing I noticed is that GW stopped making the 228 but still makes the 20 Adventure and 23 Gulfstream. Seems a little odd since the 23 is really a different beast given its beam and the 228 seems much bigger than the 20 b/c of the bracket.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like you've done all your homework. Agree with all you thoughts, potential uses and assement of the current Grady line. I use my boat similarly with the family half the time then fishing the other. Love the trailerability, very important to me. A 225hp fourstroke is enough power to tube and do water sports in my experience. It's not a wakeboard boat but I attach a rope to the my hard top occasionally. Mostly for tubing wth kids 1-2 a year. I've never needed more power, usually kids say slow down. Infact a four blade prop would allow me to plane slower for water sports. You may look at that.

It will do it all. Every boat has it's tradeoffs but to go that far offshore you don't have many options as far as fish/ski boats go.

For years, be aware Grady changed to a more modern look for the top half of the hull in 1998 I believe. By 2001 my year they have dual electronics boxs in the hardtop and lifejacket storage with foam core curved hardtop. Look for one with a full swim step, it's an option.

Not sure when they went to a metal swim/engine bracket and moved the fuel tank forward and deleted the 2nd tank option. but much later I think. For that far off shore you may want the optional 56g front tank? They are all plumbed and have space for a 2nd tank if you need to add one.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First off,,,, I'm impressed that you're still around at your age!!!

Screenshot_20220615-113843_Chrome.jpg

Secondly,,, the 228 is a very versatile boat IMO. I trailer from Kentucky down to your neck of the woods often and fish Santee and have been offshore out of Charleston many times. Went to the Keys last year and thoroughly enjoyed having my boat with me, will be making another trip to the Keys possibly next year. Heading to Lake Erie next month. Never pulled a tube with mine but I'm sure it will do it. I have the F225 and it is adequate with the 4 blade prop. That said, I can't wait to get my new F250,,, but Yamaha is making me wait,, going on 21 months now waiting for a repower. Luckily the F225 still runs well and I'm not dead in the water. Grady-White went to the SV-2 hull in '92 on the 226/228 line, so start looking there. A clean 228 is hard to find, be ready to move on one when you find it, as you're not the only one looking for one, they are very popular. If you're handy and don't mind a little sweat equity towards a boat, you can overlook the crud as long as the bones are good. Mine has come a long way as to when I bought it as have others on here. Once you do find one, have a survey done, could save a severe headache down the road.

Feel free to ask questions, as there are quite a few of us that have, and love, our 228's.

Good luck on your search.

20210501_141416.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer with the hardtop last October back in Maryland after looking over a year for one, and then trailered her back home 3,009 miles to just north of Seattle via a U-Haul truck. My previous boat was a 21' Arima that is made out here in the Seattle area, of which they almost have a cult like following to them. I owned 2 of those boats and sold them after a couple of seasons because they're a modified vee, very lightweight, all of the weight is in the rear and the boat sits very low in the water. The result is a very rough ride that slaps you around and is quite jarring in the 1'-2'+ chop and with the boat sitting so low in the water, you'll get spray over the windshield and sides of the boat. Not very fun, especially when it's cold and/or windy outside. Like I said, it wasn't more than a couple of seasons before I thought to myself that I wanted something bigger, better, nicer and smoother. The 228 Seafarer checked off all the boxes that I had and as Ky Grady mentioned, it's a very versatile boat in that you can do just about anything with it, within reason. I don't go 60 miles out in the open ocean like you do so I couldn't really tell you about that part of it as the Puget Sound here is all protected waters and you don't see more than 4'-5' swells for the most part. But I did have the boat out once last October before it turned into winter and there were definitely 5' swells, but the boat handled great and without any issues.

I liked the idea of the 228 Seafarer for a multitude of reasons but one of the biggest things that I like about the boat is the transom bracket on the back as well as the fully enclosed transom. My Arima had a motor well that the motor would rest in when it was tilted up and it took up a good deal of space, imo the same is true with the 208 Adventure as well as the 226 Seafarer and other Grady White's that have an open or notched transom. I also liked the enclosed transom because I put my boat out on a mooring buoy for weeks/months on end during the summer and didn't want to potentially have an issue. As well as my parents are in their early 70's and I have a niece that's almost 7, so I wanted the extra safety of an enclosed transom. The 228 Seafarer also has an all level floor/cockpit in that there aren't any steps or stairs like there are with the larger models like the 232 Gulfstream on up, which again with having somewhat older parents and a younger niece... I don't want anyone tripping or slipping and hurting themselves if it can be avoided. The 228 Seafarer is a much bigger boat than my 21' Arima, I love the SV2 hull design, so much smoother of a ride, much more comfortable, more seating, bigger cabin space, I love the hardtop as I'm a pretty fairly complected person so I like to stay out of the sun when it's really hot and it keeps you out of the rain when it's raining. I've got a Yamaha F225 on my boat and while I haven't gone WOT with the boat yet, the Grady White brochure says she will top out at 45 mph WOT, which is faster than I ever really need to go. You can use the boat for fishing, crabbing, shrimping, taking the kids on an inner tube or waterski, you can just cruise on it if you want, hop over to the beach or sandbar or I really want to take it to Sea Fair one of these years as well as to a Huskies football game, anchor up, maybe do a little sailgating, take a water taxi into the game and so on.

The boat is very doable in every aspect just by yourself in that you can trailer/launch/captain/retrieve the boat fairly well all by yourself, although it's obviously always a bit easier with a buddy or family member. As stated above, I trailered the boat back 3,009 miles from Deale, MD to just north of Seattle last October and it was very easy to trailer with a U-Haul truck that had a 10k lb max tow rating. You can fish by yourself or with family or a buddy very easily and as stated above it's a very versatile boat, you can sleep overnight in it and do just about whatever you'd like to. Obviously it's only a 22' boat and it has its limitations with regards to size but it sounds like it'll do everything you want it to do as you can sit 6 people in the boat with there being 6 seats in it, but you have room for more up front on the bow if you wanted to, though I wouldn't recommend that while cruising too fast. I bought my boat, motor and trailer package from a Grady White dealer in Maryland for $26.5k. Their asking price was $28k, I offered them $26.5k and they said sure. I think that's one of the best deals I've personally ever seen for a 2004 and newer boat in the condition that mine is in as my max budget was $35k, and most boats of that vintage on the east coast seem to be that price or more. I bought mine in Maryland because an identical boat to mine sold for $55k out here in Seattle, as it seems like boats, cars, homes and everything else are crazy expensive out here. So, if you're able to shop around to potentially save some money and either trailer it or have it shipped back, then that's what I would do, and did. I'd have your money or finances in order and be ready to move quickly because like Ky Grady said, there are lots of guys out there who are looking for a 228 Seafarer as well. I always recommend having an accredited marine surveyor inspect any boat you are looking at purchasing and if you do buy one with an early 2000's Yamaha 4 stroke on it, be sure to the motor inspected for the common dry exhaust corrosion problem. You can Google that to see what it is, if you don't already. The 1998 and newer 228 Seafarer's had a design change compared to the 1997 and older models, which I think the newer ones look much better. I believe 1998 and 1999 models also had a slightly different hardtop that was flat and also as mentioned above, the overhead electronics compartment I believe was only on the one side? Good luck!

Last edited:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would have to agree with KY on the age bit.
I'm a long way from where you are and in the wrong ocean.
I'm on my second 228, I bought my first one ( 1999 model freshwater boat) from a lake in GA when I was in USA in 2011, she didn't have a hardtop but as she was cheap and in good condition besides the fact that the gelcoat was dull and chalky. I bought her in order to see what the GW was like in the rough Pacific and I liked the layout . I was very impressed with the boat.
As she was getting on in age and I wanted a hardtop I bought my current 228 (2013 model) from Fla in 2018.
Both boats had 250 hp motors and I think that is ideal for my application, offshore fishing , if I was to repower my current boat I would go 300 hp as they are the same weight and my boat is rated 300.
I would think 225 is the minimum you want on a 228 with hardtop .
If I was you I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older boat ( post1998 with the newer windows) with an old 2 stroke and repower with a new 250 as long as you can buy one.
If you are not in any great hurry you will find one cheaper as time goes on. The way the world economy is going with high inflation, rising interest, stock markets on a downhill , it may take some time but it will happen.

Of course if you want a boat now you will have to pay the going rate.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with wrxhoon about the minimum horsepower level being at 225 hp, especially if you’re going to be doing any serious offshore fishing like the OP mentioned. If you were just putting around or trolling in the bay or in protected waters then you might be able to get by with less. Luckily most 228’s that I was looking at over the year that it took me to buy one had a minimum of a 225 hp outboard on them, some even had the 250. I do remember one was sold in I believe Pittsburgh or Philadelphia that looked like a really nice boat but it had an F200 on it and it was also slightly above my budget, which made me not as interested in the deal.

I personally am not a fan of 2 stroke motors on boats, unless you could get one for an absolute steal and to where you could factor in the replacement outboard motor costs into the price or your budget. My uncle previously had a 1993 Bayliner with twin Mercury 2 stroke motors on them, of which they were noisy, smelled, burned oil and so on. Which made me tell myself that I wouldn’t get another boat with a 2 stroke on it and I would much rather pay slightly more money for a boat with the things that I really wanted… like a 4 stroke motor and a hardtop as opposed to having to buy a boat and add/upgrade those things later on.

Last edited:

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sold my 226 in July of 2020 and have regretted it ever day since considering the prices or new and used boats. The 228 is a fine boat and is able IMOP more than I was willing to handle.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk