228 Trailer

Reaction score
Just wondering what weight class trailer those of you with a Grady 228 are running? I have a 1995 model, hard top, 146 gal fuel, 15 hp. kicker, etc. so I'm probably as loaded as you can get for this model. Rather than repairing the old galvanized trailer which needs extensive work, I have been looking for suitable used tandem aluminum trailer in decent shape. Anybody actually weigh their similarly equipped rig and come up with an actual weight? I don't actually trailer it much but do want to move it around occasionally.

Bill_N

Reaction score
You can do the math it's not hard, just add up the hull weight and all the add-on's, fuel, water, engines, batteries, accessories then add 5-10% for gear and you should have it. Or you can ask a Grady dealer, they usually have a trailer model for each boat model and maybe a heavy duty upgrade.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey;
My Seafarer with a 250 Yamaha loaded with fuel/ice/gear weighed 5800 or so, including trailer.
I would suggest 7500-8000 capacity with two 4000 lb axles. 3500 lb minimum.

This gives you a cushion. Even though you may not move it much, the boat is supported properly and the trailer will hold up better if you start taking longer journeys.

Overkill..Maybe, but I've never been sorry yet by doing it.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My old trailer had barely any travel at all with my 228G. I replaced the axles with two 3500-lb torsion axles, and it rode just perfect.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Hey;
My Seafarer with a 250 Yamaha loaded with fuel/ice/gear weighed 5800 or so, including trailer.
I would suggest 7500-8000 capacity with two 4000 lb axles. 3500 lb minimum.

This gives you a cushion. Even though you may not move it much, the boat is supported properly and the trailer will hold up better if you start taking longer journeys.

Overkill..Maybe, but I've never been sorry yet by doing it.

Are you saying that she weighed 5800 including trailer? I assume that was weighed not astimated. Have you got a 226 or 228? What year? Do you have a hardtop? Was the tank full? 92 gallon? 125? Is the 250 four stroke? How much does your trailer weigh?

I'm looking at buying a new trailer for my 228, I was thinking 7000 lb aluminum I beam trailer from Ace trailers

Sully4755

Reaction score
I have a 1989 228G with a 225 Johnson with a hard top that is on a Venture VATB 7250 aluminum dual axle bunk trailer with surge brakes on front axle. Trailer is 4 years old and it tows great. Bought boat in Tuckerton NJ and towed it to upstate NY and no problems. Trailer is a little overkill for this boat but I also use it for my Sea Ray 250 Sundancer. Total weight with trailer and 228G is right around 5800 lbs.. I tow it to Barnegat NJ a couple time a year with my F250 Super Duty and never a problem.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a 226 with hardtop and it sat on a 7000 GVW aluminum trailer.

I took delivery today of a 7000 GVW aluminum tandem trailer for my 225. It's the right size for this boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
wrxhoon;

Fuel tank was full. It had the 92 gallon tank.
No hardtop.
Engine was a 2-stroke,(Saltwater Series)
The boat was a 228G, I believe. it had the "Grady Drive" Bracket.
The boats year was 1992. First year for the SeaV2 hulls, I think.
I can't remember the weight of the trailer. It was too light for the boat..The weight of the boat bent the axles over time, causing the camber of the wheels to go out, wearing tires until I upgraded the axles.
Finally, yes, the 5800 lbs included the trailer weight. I weighed it at a gravel quarry scale in the mid-90's.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
magicalbill,

Thanks for the info.
I called G/W and was told boat with all extras, including hardtop and full tank 125 gal would be 5300 lbs not including trailer. When you add the hardtop and the extra 33 gal of fuel, say another 300-400 lbs to your 4900 ( your trailer would be 900), you are spot on .
I ordered a 7000 lb aluminum trailer from Ace trailers ( 6000 lb load), she hs 3500 lb axles , hydrastar electric over hydraulic and Kodiak S/S brakes on all four. Not the cheapest trailer around but I think well built with all S/S hardware and torsion axles.
She is built with 6.5" I beam, if I find the axles to light I will replace them with heavier axles.

Mine is a 228G ( no hardtop) with 250 Yammie 2 stroke EFI but I will re-power with a new 250 Merc optimax, I'm not to keen on 4 strokes.

Waiting for the new trailer to be built, Should be able to ship her on April 27 from Brunswick .

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your welcome. Hope the trailer works for you.
The Seafarer is a good boat. Have a great summer!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Well the boat will get in Sydney June the 4th or there about, going via Japan, it takes a little longer but cheaper by 20% or $2000. That will be the biginning of our winter but winters are very mild here , temp at night never goes near zero C ( 32F in your language), normal max during the day in winter is around the 15-18 C (59-64 F) We fish all year around .

Thanks again for the weight info , we don't have many Grady Whites here , Mostly Aussie built boats and lots of Trophy, Striper, Seafox and Bayliner, not many top end US built boats. Due the strength of our $ in the last few years many more USA built boats coming here every day , not good for our economy but good for yours.

grady23

Reaction score
Sounds like you made an EXCELLENT choice for your setup. Elec/Hydr brakes are the best overall setup you can have. Gives you complete control of your braking force unlike surge brakes. I just replaced the drum brakes on my trailer last year with Kodiak SS Disc setup. Wish I'd done it sooner. Good Luck with the new "Ride".

wrxhoon

Reaction score
grady23 said:
Sounds like you made an EXCELLENT choice for your setup. Elec/Hydr brakes are the best overall setup you can have. Gives you complete control of your braking force unlike surge brakes. I just replaced the drum brakes on my trailer last year with Kodiak SS Disc setup. Wish I'd done it sooner. Good Luck with the new "Ride".

Well its the law here, only trailers under 750 kg ATM (1650 lb) don't have to have brakes, trailers up to 2000KG (4400lb) can have surge brakes one one axle , anything over 2000 kg must have brakes on all wheels and you must be able to apply the trailer brakes from the drivers seat independent on the trucks brakes and the easiest/cheapest way to achieve that on a boat trailer is an electro-hydraulic actuator.
Drum brakes in a boat trailer ( salt water) is crazy , they won't work very long , we never use them here, drums ( electric) are only used on caravans here.

I have Kodiak S/S brakes on my current trailer and I have set up several boat trailers here with Kodaik S/S brakes , I wouldn't use anything else on a boat trailer thats used in saltwater.