228 Upgrade Seat Options?

GulfSea

Reaction score
I have what is probably the standard issue seats in my 228 and hope to find a better solution for comfort. I don't even know what options are available but would like to find seats that would offer better back support and even lean back while at anchor and chillin'. Does anyone know who the supplier is for Grady? And if they have a website showing options. I think they will be limited to 20-21" in width which will probably be difficult to find.

Thanks in Advance, Steve

daveuch

Reaction score
I just bought new seats for my 96 228. I bought them from Pompanette the OEM for Grady White. They were offered as an option in about 2005. Look on their website. They were originally 1200.00 each but I got them for 832.00 each. I guess the times call for better pricing.

daveuch

Reaction score
I got the 2005 premier in Grady Beige directly from Pompanette. I also used the existing base and it fit fine. The seats also turn 180 so you can use them to just sit and relax although they don't recline

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the Pompanette seats with armrests on my 2010 and I can tell you it is VERY tight to get between those seats. I am average height and about 165 lbs and I cant imagine a bigger guy dealing with that. Also, the companion seat doesn't swivel much because of the armrests and the back of the rear facing jumpseat. I have actually thought about removing the armrests (if that's possible). I would look at this a little more before you spend that kind of money and possibly not be happy with the outcome One of the drawbacks of that eight foot beam.

hangman1176

Reaction score
I had a little bigger guy coming with me on a trip so I took the arm rest off to make his transition to the cockpit a little easier (did it before he showed up of course). I know what you guys are talking about. I looked at the companion seat and the only thing I can think of is Grady White should illiminate the seat and go with a bench style seat like the express but slim it down. This would at least allow three people to sit during the ride. I think they should poll a question about how many people do you usually take along with the footage of your boat. I think most people in the 22-26 range take at least three people. One to drive, one reeling, one nettin. IMO............

daveuch

Reaction score
If you want the passenger seat to turn 180 you can take the jump seat backrest off or move it down. My wife and I are both small and it is very tight. Being able to turn the seats 180 makes the wait for Mr SB a little more bearable in a 228. It made as much difference in appearance as comfort.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
daveuch said:
If you want the passenger seat to turn 180 you can take the jump seat backrest off or move it down. My wife and I are both small and it is very tight. Being able to turn the seats 180 makes the wait for Mr SB a little more bearable in a 228. It made as much difference in appearance as comfort.

Great idea ! Thanks for the tip.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bayrat said:
I have the Pompanette seats with armrests on my 2010 and I can tell you it is VERY tight to get between those seats. I am average height and about 165 lbs and I cant imagine a bigger guy dealing with that. Also, the companion seat doesn't swivel much because of the armrests and the back of the rear facing jumpseat. I have actually thought about removing the armrests (if that's possible). I would look at this a little more before you spend that kind of money and possibly not be happy with the outcome One of the drawbacks of that eight foot beam.

The armrests come right off.....turn the seats over and remove the screws.

My 208 had the deluxe Pompanette seats....which weren't even an option. Talk about being tight between the seats. I almost had no choice...my 6'3" frame was NOT getting between them.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I must have the same seats....bought the boat used so I don't know if they were an upgrade option or not. Before I remove them I'm going to measure armrest to armrest between the seats. I cant believe that it's anymore than 18 inches.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Great info guys, Thanks! I assumed the width would be difficult to get past due to the beam. I'm going to have to research deeper before making the plunge; hopefully, someone makes a seat where the armrest can fold up and retract inward. Many Aircraft seats do this for the same reason we see here. About 20" seems to be the maximum width that can work with the 228.

A little tidbit I found out while researching the seats.... since getting my Grady, I've had trouble seeing over the helm at slower speeds. Enough so that I've had to stand especially when in busy areas. Turns out whoever installed the seats must have done so in a shop sitting in a static position. At that level, it's great. But under any power at all and.... well, they cut the pedestal too shore by about 3-4". I remembered even during sea trial having trouble seeing over the helm while seated. So I'm replacing that as we speak.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FYI..measured between the two seats. Armrest to armrest 121/2 inches. Cushion to cushion (without armrests) 141/2 inches. These are the pompanette with armrests..deluxe I think. As I said ..VERY tight

GulfSea

Reaction score
bayrat said:
FYI..measured between the two seats. Armrest to armrest 121/2 inches. Cushion to cushion (without armrests) 141/2 inches. These are the pompanette with armrests..deluxe I think. As I said ..VERY tight

Bayrat, can you measure the width of your seats from armrest to armrest? Mine are molded plastic and this past week, I finally realized what it is that makes them uncomfortable. They have slight, low armrests built in that inhibit sitting sideways in the seat, so I have to sit full forward or not at all.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Absolutely.Will do tomorrow...but meanwhile, if you want to sit backwards you can simply lift the seat up off of the base and put it back down facing the stern or even the side (assuming the armrests are what are blocking you from rotating the seat)

GulfSea

Reaction score
bayrat said:
Armrest measure; 22 1/2" outside to outside,; 17'' inside to inside

Thanks, I've found a few options and that helps identify which ones will/could work. If I find the right seat, I'll follow up here with specifics.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The pedestal has standard industry dimensioned tubes and fit a variety of chairs from severel manufacturers if you are so inclined to be budget minded.
Depending on your height, the aluminum tubes can be readily cut with a rented pipe cutter in just a few turns. Also some replacement pedestalls have adjustable height designs.

Molded in armrest or seperate arm rest as in the ladder back style, or no arm rests, seats do vary in width as our bottoms vary. Do you want a seat that can rotate fully? And some models have fold up bottoms.

And we all (who admit it) have to turn sideways and wiggle a bit to get between them, even on the much larger "wide beam" Gradys!

If so inclinded, start with Todd or google replacement seats for Grady White.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just recalled another brand, WISE, that I used to replace the armless OEM chairs in my Overnighter, was flying sideways sliding out of seat in rock and roll sea conditions, they had molded up sides into an armrest that served the purpose but still stayed narrow enough to get thru the two.

Very cost effective and excellent quality. Had the Grady offwhite color too.

Not that anything is wrong with Pompanette.

GulfSea

Reaction score