228 Vent Window Replacement

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had siliconed shut the passenger vent window of my '87 228 a few years ago. The PO had changed out the vent arm that was not OEM it didn't close.

I decided to cut it open and get it working again. Part of OCD I guess o_O

I had the original glass cut down a hair to fit the aluminum frame this afternoon, The gaskets had taken on a life or their own over the years it seems.

I found an OEM vent handle on ebay, and was going to buy it today.

Just my luck, on the drive from boat storage to launch something went amiss. I launched boat and got on board only to see broken glass pieces scattered. Didn't click at first, then I noticed I no longer have a passenger vent window. I guess the jimmy rigged bolt holding the vent arm on the outside of the glass fell off in transit.

Have you ever seen a grown man cry?? I even drove backtracking to see if I could find the black hinge bracket. Pretty sure it is on Interstate 80.

So I am thinking I should contact Taylor Made to see if they can supply me with the bracket that the glass is attached to....or was LOL (not sure of the correct nomenclature for the part).

I attached the picture showing what I will need. Any suggestions help!

Lee20190715_151833.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Update-Called Taylor Made, and then called Grady to get the part number. The boat is too old so there was no way for Taylor to locate the exact parts I need, but the person I spoke with referred me to George at Marine Glass Specialties in Florida. They bought a lot of older Grady Parts from Taylor.

Phone numbers for who ever needs them down the road:
Taylor Made (518) 773-0636
Marine Glass Specialties (813) 926-3717

George knew exactly what I need. The price is extremely steep, but I still will go ahead and order the new glass, hinge, and vent pull from him.

Crisis over, looking for a second job to pay for these things :oops:

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Installed new vent window, handle and gaskets yesterday.

Aluminum frame was bent so the new glass from Marine Glass Specialties had to be shaved down with a belt sander and water. Luckily the tempered glass didn't break during that process.

Used the old gaskets as a template to cut the new ones.

Expensive little fix there :mad:

20190927_130946.jpg

Attachments

• 20190927_123122.jpg
    20190927_123122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 20190927_123141.jpg
    20190927_123141.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190927_131431.jpg
    20190927_131431.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Denko

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lee, My hat's off to you for fixing up that ailing wing window. Repairing things one component at a time is what keeps these old gems from becoming a junkpile. I am like you in that if there is an item on the boat it needs to work. That wing window is a great feature and I am impressed that Grady would go to the trouble to design that into the windscreen. I wish I would have held out for a 228, I settled on a 205 because it was in such good shape and priced right but I should have known that would wear off and the dream of a 228 would still haunt me. Oh well, I can at least drool over the pictures of yours and wish I had a wing window to spend that ridiculous amount of coin to refurbish.:eek::)

Reactions: leeccoll

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice fix Lee! I know the feeling of OCD with my boat. I like things to work as they should or in some cases, work better, if I can upgrade that part to something better.

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lee, My hat's off to you for fixing up that ailing wing window. Repairing things one component at a time is what keeps these old gems from becoming a junkpile. I am like you in that if there is an item on the boat it needs to work. That wing window is a great feature and I am impressed that Grady would go to the trouble to design that into the windscreen. I wish I would have held out for a 228, I settled on a 205 because it was in such good shape and priced right but I should have known that would wear off and the dream of a 228 would still haunt me. Oh well, I can at least drool over the pictures of yours and wish I had a wing window to spend that ridiculous amount of coin to refurbish.:eek::)

Thanks Halfhitch!

Yeah, I am glad I went with the 228. I am spoiled with the cockpit/deck space. A great fishing boat for me, but ANY Grady is better than no Grady at all, so congrats to you as well!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice fix Lee! I know the feeling of OCD with my boat. I like things to work as they should or in some cases, work better, if I can upgrade that part to something better.
Amen Ky!

Awaiting next project LOL.

After I get the bottom paint removed in early December, and upgrade the most uncomfortable OEM pre Pompanette seats that don't swivel backwards, I will be happy as a clam.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My next big project will be the motor upgrade to the 4.2 F250 then I'll be good!!! A year or so out I hope, we'll see how the finances go. I'd like to pay cash and walk away owing nothing. I've started a motor fund, but sometimes life can change those plans.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My next big project will be the motor upgrade to the 4.2 F250 then I'll be good!!! A year or so out I hope, we'll see how the finances go. I'd like to pay cash and walk away owing nothing. I've started a motor fund, but sometimes life can change those plans.
Now THAT'S a biggie! Seems like your boat is in great operating condition now, so you can fill up yer piggy bank.
I wouldn't want to owe anything on a new motor either. Paid cash for my 9.9 kicker 4 years ago, so I'm praying my 2002 Honda BF200 will hold out a while longer with only 550 hours on it. I let the kicker do all the trolling.
It's nice you have a proactive plan.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job, but let me ask this while we are talking about that window. On my 228 the plastic rod that hold it open is broken. Where can I get one of those?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job, but let me ask this while we are talking about that window. On my 228 the plastic rod that hold it open is broken. Where can I get one of those?

Dealer item. I replaced both of mine right after I bought the boat. Port side was broken so just replaced both with new. Don't think rod is available separately.

This is listed on Ebay but it is also a dealer.
Screenshot_20191001-080027_eBay.jpg