228 - Water in forwardmost compartment

G8RDave

Reaction score
I keep finding water in the forwardmost compartment in the cabin (almost right under the anchor locker). There does not appear to be any drain hole in the compartment. I find that sorta odd since everything else in the boat drains somewhere. There is a small spot that looks like someone started to drill a hole but didn't finish. My question is, is there room under neath the liner of this compartment for the water to drain to (and presumably drain into the bilge) or will I be drilling into the hull itself? The boat is a 2004 if that matters.

Thanks

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
That area should drain all the way back just past your gas tank bulkhead.

G8RDave

Reaction score
That was my thought as well. Where should the drain hole be? On the bottom of the compartment going towards the hull or on the lower portion of the aft wall of the compartment towards the porta-pottie (but not into the finished area where the pottie sits)?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Give Grady a quick call. They will hit the nail on the head for you. 252-752-2111

dan313

Reaction score
Last year i found water in the foward bilge area. 6 gallons to be exact. I have no idea where it was coming from and am still baffled by it. I sucked all the water out and ran a snake thru the tube that leads back to the aft bilge. I thought it was clogged but it wasnt. A few weeks later the water was back. :?:

I hope Grady has an answer because i'm clueless.

Lenny

G8RDave

Reaction score
I wish the water was in my bilge. I would just assume the angle was wrong for it to drain back to the aft bilge. The problem I'm having is that water is collecting in the small compartment just aft of the anchor locker access hatch and not draining into the bilge. I'll call Grady tomorrow and see what they have to say.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I wasn't so concerned with where it was coming from (pretty sure it is coming from the anchor locker) as I was why it didn't drain anywhere. I called Grady and spoke with Danny in Customer Relations. He confirmed that there should be a drain hole in the compartment I am talking about. he said to go ahead and drill the hole and to just make sure I seal the edges of the hole.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Verify proper drainage, place a garden hose in the anchor locker and open full bore. Before you make it back to the transom, it should be coming out the bilge pump thruhull.

Buddy of mine with 25 Parker found home style fish tank (w/o fish), in anchor locker.
Discovered leaves clogging tiny weep hole. Those cordless drills come in handy at the dock.

scottdeleo

Reaction score
G8RDave,

I have found the same issue on my '06 Seafarer 226. When you spoke to Grady where did they instruct you to drill? On the bottom of the compartment going towards the hull or on the lower portion going aft?

-Scott

G8RDave

Reaction score
I just finished the hole that had already been started (or had been sealed or something). It is a bit starboard of center, facing straight down towards the hull, and as close to the aft compartment wall as possible. The compartment itself is slanted that way if you look at it closely enough (I didn't notice that at first). Been working great.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
What size is the drain hole or what size drill bit did you use to open up the drain?