228 Windlass install completed.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
KY Grady, how is that M1 Mantus working out for you? Would love to see a pic from side angle sitting on the pulpit.

I am tired of my 22# Delta not setting quickly each time I go bottom fishing. Have seen the video comparisons of the Mantus vs all others and how quick they set. Just worried if I go for the 17# Mantus M1 which is recommended for my 25" Sailfish, if I will have any clearance issues with the pulpit or anything else in the area......

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY Grady, how is that M1 Mantus working out for you? Would love to see a pic from side angle sitting on the pulpit.

I am tired of my 22# Delta not setting quickly each time I go bottom fishing. Have seen the video comparisons of the Mantus vs all others and how quick they set. Just worried if I go for the 17# Mantus M1 which is recommended for my 25" Sailfish, if I will have any clearance issues with the pulpit or anything else in the area......

I'm bringing the boat home from storage this Saturday. First order of business is to swap out my anchor. As soon as I do, I will post up the pics. I saw the videos also and had considered the Delta. Don't know what makes the Mantus do what it does compared to the others, but it does seem to set quickly and pretty secure. I'll be trying it out in 2 weeks when I get to South Carolina and use it to bait fish.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it doesn't hang down farther than this, should be good. Loaded and unloaded at Lake Erie and had no issues.

20200907_150718.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine looks very similar, maybe one size smaller anchor. First time I tried loading with the anchor in the pulpit, it would not clear. Had to drop it, and lay it on top of the pulpit. Lowered the winch stand a couple of inches, and now it barely clears.
It is because of the way I load. With the truck tires just clear of the water, I can float the boat on until the anchor is at the bow roller, and winch the last 3 feet or so. I will try leaving the trailer a foot or two higher on the ramp, so the bow rises sooner, but that water gets noticeably colder every week.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not to hijack the thread because I’m going to need all this info when I install a windlass next year but KY, in the picture of the relay you posted 9/17, I see what appears to be a rod holder in the cabin. Have you installed aftermarket holders in your boat and if so, can you provide a description and pics? I’ve been trying to figure something out for mine but haven’t seen anything quite what I want yet.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those are factory installed holders. I can get a pic inside this weekend.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. My ‘99 has the tan plastic hook type (2 per side if the reels aren’t too big and the rods aren’t too long). I’m don’t really want to drill any more holes through the cabin roof if that’s the way the factory mounted them.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I rarely use them. I've got some short bait rods that I'll put in there. The ones I fish with are to long to use the holders.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Good job on the install, enjoy your ProFish. I have the same unit and can give you one important piece of advice....

When anchoring ALWAYS tie off your rode onto your cleat.
DO NOT allow the windlass alone to hold the boat in place, especially in high seas.
The internal gears are not designed to take that kind of stress and WILL be damaged.
Don't ask me how I know... :)

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was considering adding that windlass over the winter simply because the remote drop and retrieve would negate me going forward, especially when single-handing. I can understand cleating off in strong current or heavy seas but if I need to go forward to cleat off every time I drop anchor, it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe I should add,, When conditions dictate, I will cleat off.

Hanging out at the sandbar or catching bait for short duration in relatively calm current, I don't see the necessity to cleat off. Overnight on the hook is a different story. Will this come back to bite me, we'll see.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Got the Mantus installed. Different from the Fortress for sure. We'll see how it does next weekend when I go to Santee. I don't see any interference issues right now. Unloading would be the only thing. I'll just have to watch the trailer depth and make sure angle isn't too steep.

20201017_102023.jpg20201017_102657.jpg
20201017_104123.jpg

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I bought one from Lewmar, not sure where they thought I was going to put it, but the bolt on it is about 1" long, not enough to through bolt to anything.

View attachment 15889
You really don't need that....expensive and no need to bolt down anything.

See the pic above in glacierblaze's post.
I set up something similar, just a piece of cord with two loops on the end, hook one end around one rode guide point, pass the cord through the anchor attachment slot, and hook the other end of the cord to the other rode guide point.
Now the anchor is secure from dropping if the switch is hit accidentally.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Final piece to the install done. I bought it, so why not install it. Anchor safety cable.

Overall, I'm happy with the install and the Mantus should deploy without any help, quite a bit heavier than the Fortress.

20201017_142816.jpg