228 windshield help needed

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have a 2003 - 228 and on the windshield there is a black aluminum separator rail between the 2 side windows (pics attached). This black aluminum seperator is very corroded at this point. If there any way to easily remove this
aluminum bar? Looks like just philips head screws on the top frame. If I can extract it I would try either black powder coat or paint. Any advice?
Thanks as always....
panel.jpgpanel1.jpgpanel-inside.jpgpart and refinish the

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry I have no answer. But...

can you please post more pics of what materiel you used for flush mounting your electronics.

also I would suggest sanding that black down to bare metal and then taping it out and painting it with appropriate paint for what bare metal which I would assume to be aluminum.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If that was mine, I'd mask off the area around the window, sand it, wipe it down, paint it. Should last for awhile. If this was a saltwater boat, might be tough to get those screws out.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Actually the philips head screws look perfect. I might try to take it apart.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
The flush mount for the fish finder was mounted in starboard cut to the size of the opening after the plexiglass door was removed.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What with seafoam color starboard? Do you have more pics of the install. I just ordered the starboard seafoam color. Curious how you mounted yours. Thanks

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If that was mine, I'd mask off the area around the window, sand it, wipe it down, paint it. Should last for awhile. If this was a saltwater boat, might be tough to get those screws out.
I agree with KY, sand it smooth , etch primer for ally then refinish with black acrylic paint.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Im in the sand it, prime it, paint it camp.
A little time and sandpaper, tape and paint and should look like new

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
The starboard on the flush mount was cream colored and I believe I installed a screw in each corner. I'll go to the boat later and take some pics. It was a long time ago and I don't remember.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah post some pictures! My seafoam colored 1/4” starboard just shipped from amazon.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I did that modification over 10 years ago. I still had 2 pieces of starboard left over.
it was 1/4 inch cream colored.228.jpg

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I used just 4 screws with cream colored painted heady (Grady) to secure the corners.
2281.jpg

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow that really looks great. Had no idea they made Grady white colored screws. Well if the starboard that comes in doesn’t match correctly I’ll be contacting you! Looks great I’m sold on the idea of flush mounting.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Was actually a lot easier than I first thought. Screen size is somewhat limited. Let me know if you need help.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
OK. So I did take the frame apart on the Starboard side and withdrew the corroded, black aluminum hindge. Sanded down all the corrosion to shiny metal and used a Rustoleum metal spray with a built in primer. Reassembled it today.About 6-7 philips head screws and put together very slowly and carefully with a rubber hammer. Came out great. Before and after are below. Port side tomorrow

..before.jpgafter.jpg

Reactions: leeccoll

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow looks absolutely great! If it’s a 226 and you haven’t checked your bang plate look at my thread on that.