228 with an F250 - sitting a bit low in the water

2ndChance

Reaction score
I took a look at an 05 228 with a Yamaha f250. Boat is nice and well-maintained. I noticed something I thought odd: the skeg had been bottom painted on an angle right to the water intake for the water pump. Broker said yes, the skeg is partially submerged when she's in the water, but all Gradys do that. Do they?? I have a 208 with a 200 Etec and that skeg is nowhere near the water when fully tilted - which is the way I like it. We have a stray electrolysis problem at my marina and I certainly don't want that lower unit touching. What am I missing?

Joe

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The tilt limit on an E-Tec is higher than the tilt limit on a Yamaha. This is particularly important as the rigging tube can get pinched otherwise.

Keep up with your anodes if you have an electrolysis problem in your marina.....

HMBJack

Reaction score
That is perfectly normal on an '05 228.

As I understand it, in later years, GW moved the Main Fuel tank forward a bit to eliminate that issue. In addition, the Auxilary tank option was discontinued in 2007 or so as people were complaining that their rear scuppers were under water. I owned a 2005 228 with the Aux. Tank and personally loved having all that fuel (153G) for offshore tuna trips. When not running offshore, I used to keep my Aux. (forward) tank full and leave the rear main tank half full (or less). This allowed the boat's stern to sit higher in the water.

2ndChance

Reaction score
thanks all. I appreciate it. I won't discount this particular boat because of this issue. I have a couple of follow-up questions: if the f250 and the f225 weigh the same, I should expect most similar aged 228 Gradys with the f225 to sit the same way, correct? How much difference is there between the f225 vs. the f250 on the 228? I know it's 25 hp, but I believe both motors share the same block, the 3.3 liter.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The weight of the F225 and F250 are the same (same v6 3.3L block)

Horsepower wise - I think you are better off with the F250 and here's why.
It commonly known that the F225 puts out 208 hp Vs. a more "true" 250 hp on the F250.
That's a 20% difference. Plus the 250's have variable valve timing which I think the F225's lack for that model year.

Both are excellent engines but given a choice, I like the F250 better.
I have a pair of F250's on my 330 Express and they are awesome engines.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While I don't believe the internet myth that the F225 only puts out 208 hp, the F250 is a much better match for a 228. The difference in mid range torque (the result of variable valve timing) is really noticeable. I test drove several 22' Grady's with each type of power. The F250 puts you up on plane much faster and the engine will keep you solidly on plane at a lower rpm and speed.

fishbust

Reaction score
My sailfish gear cases clear the water.

If it didn't, since the motors are able to tuck way under and you would never need that much angle down, I would install wedges to enable a few more degrees tilted up to clear the water. Ridiculous to have to bottom paint your skeg. The boats that have this problem, should have been factory fitted with them in the first place. My opinion on a proper set up.

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Reversible-Transom-Wedges-5-degree-319-200000.htm

HMBJack

Reaction score
The F250 puts you up on plane much faster and the engine will keep you solidly on plane at a lower rpm and speed.

>>> Yes, like to the tune of 20%.
Myth or no myth, we all agree here that the F250 is the preferred engine for a 228 if you have a choice.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HMBJack said:
The F250 puts you up on plane much faster and the engine will keep you solidly on plane at a lower rpm and speed.

>>> Yes, like to the tune of 20%.
Myth or no myth, we all agree here that the F250 is the preferred engine for a 228 if you have a choice.

Yep...can even get it with a 300 as of 2010.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/defaul ... 10_owa.pdf

2ndChance

Reaction score
fishbust said:
My sailfish gear cases clear the water.

If it didn't, since the motors are able to tuck way under and you would never need that much angle down, I would install wedges to enable a few more degrees tilted up to clear the water. Ridiculous to have to bottom paint your skeg. The boats that have this problem, should have been factory fitted with them in the first place. My opinion on a proper set up.

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Reversible-Transom-Wedges-5-degree-319-200000.htm

Could not agree more on bottom painting the skeg - dealer (who originally sold it new to current owner) said "what's the big deal?" LOL, they always try to make it look like you're a landlubber who doesn't know what he's talking about :-|

Another thing - the batteries in the stern could be moved to improve the situation. When I mentioned that, he said "won't make a bit of difference." This guy is a friggin genius. Wonder why this boat is still for sale... Anyway, it was spotless - new looking, in fact. Obviously well-cared for. 400 hours on the boat. When it comes to moving the batteries on a 228, isn't the gas tank in the way if you want to relocate to the cabin?

cgmiller

Reaction score
The Yamahas have a limited tilt range compared to other engines. Both of the F150's on my 230 Gulfstream hang in the water...I have bottom paint on both lower units below the anticavitation plate. I just put a new F90 on my 17 Mako and waves lick at the front of the bulb of the lower unit. I had to put a 25# weight in the anchor locker to get the bulb out of the water..my neighbors have Suzukis and they will tilt almost horizontal and are completely out of the water..my engines are 2004's and there is no sign of corrosion and the guy across the lagoon has a battery charger on his boat 24/7 and is eating the fasteners out of my dock...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
F150s on Islander 270.

Lower units always clear of the water.

Our boat is in our slip all year and I wouldn't own any boat where the lower units stayed in the water.

JMHO,

Brian