228 WTB or make my own under seat storage bins

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello everyone - this forum has been such a great resource to me I thought someone might be able to help me with some suggestions here. I recently purchased a 2008 GW 225 with F250 and just got through adding a T9.9 kicker to the swim platform. I am now looking to purchase or make a second storage bin (roughly 15.5 x 10.25 inches outside dimension of lip, about an inch shorter in dimension for the bin itself. I have one that came with the boat and it looks like a blow-formed plastic of some sort. I have searched everywhere for a source with no luck - does anyone know who carries these? My other option is to use the one I have as a form and mold some news ones out of fiberglass - has anyone ever tried that? Let me know if you are also in need of a bin, as I can make more than one if that is what I end up doing. Neighbor works with composites for airplane parts and said he could give me a hand to make sure it is done right.

Thanks!
Kent

Attachments

• IMG-3121.jpg
    IMG-3121.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-3123.jpg
    IMG-3123.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
BTW - these bins drop into the storage boxes below the transom seats, on either side of live well

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would be interested in two, if you get something worked out. My starboard covers fit flush, if I recall correctly. How does a drop in box affect the fit of the cover on top of it?

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would be interested in two, if you get something worked out. My starboard covers fit flush, if I recall correctly. How does a drop in box affect the fit of the cover on top of it?
You are correct, the cover sits on top of the lip of the bin so the lip has to be pretty thin. Let me fab one up and post a picture of it - you can decide if you still want a couple.

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Also, what is the total outside depth? Battery sit right under it.
Yep - batteries control how deep you can make them. The factory bin is 4.25 inches deep. I think they could be a bit deeper but I have not made any measurements and don't have a way yet to make a form for a deeper bin (although I may try some ideas).

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some folks have had luck finding Rubbermaid storage bins that fit the opening.
Something like this but in a different size
Good advice - I have been looking for a supplier that would have a size that would work and have yet to find anything close. The other issue I see is the lips on these tubs are usually rolled or reinforced underneath, so they would stick up far enough to raise the compartment lid which would then create an uneven surface for the seat cushion. You could potentially use a multi-tool to cut the lip down to a flat and level lip, but that may then be too weak to hold the bin when filled. I'd be willing to try it, just have not found anything that is the right size.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you’re wanting something that’s exact, I’d try reaching out to GW themselves, or your local GW dealer and see what they have to say. I’m sure if they have them that they’ll be very spendy but other than getting lucky on CL or eBay, that might be your only other option besides making your own or buying others that aren’t exact.

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you’re wanting something that’s exact, I’d try reaching out to GW themselves, or your local GW dealer and see what they have to say. I’m sure if they have them that they’ll be very spendy but other than getting lucky on CL or eBay, that might be your only other option besides making your own or buying others that aren’t exact.
Hey Mustang - hope you are having a good summer! I thought there was a thread on the forum that stated these were no longer available from GW, but I could be wrong, will call them this week. Checking dealers is a good idea, but I am 3-5 hours away from them where I live.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Mustang - hope you are having a good summer! I thought there was a thread on the forum that stated these were no longer available from GW, but I could be wrong, will call them this week. Checking dealers is a good idea, but I am 3-5 hours away from them where I live.
You as well! And I’m not sure if they’ve been discontinued or not. I figured with them running the 228 Seafarer up until the year 2020 or so that GW or one of the dealers might have one in stock, and/or could possibly ship one to you. Either that or refer you to an outside source, if they are made by another company. Good luck and let us know what you find out. How’s the boat running?

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You as well! And I’m not sure if they’ve been discontinued or not. I figured with them running the 228 Seafarer up until the year 2020 or so that GW or one of the dealers might have one in stock, and/or could possibly ship one to you. Either that or refer you to an outside source, if they are made by another company. Good luck and let us know what you find out. How’s the boat running?
Will do! Boat runs great but gale force winds every afternoon has prevented me from getting out much. I have been working on installing the kicker motor (see separate thread) but that is now done. Supposed to take 3 friends out Friday for halibut and rockfish but we may get blown out, looking like next Monday will be better. I love being retired, you can pick and choose the days you want to fish!

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Curious if anyone ever found these aft drop in bins? I have an older Overnight and both the rear drop in boxes are gone.......any help would be great. Thanks