228G Ignition Protection Warning

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Danger Will Robinson?

I never took the time to read this label under my rear center live well lid.

My boat is an '87 228. I put in new fuel hoses last summer, when the rear deck plate was off, I don't recall any off center starboard location for the gas tank drain plug the warning label is referring to.

I did remove a drain plug that was in the centerline drain tube that was attacked with an old brass chain.

Do any of you new or old 228 owners have this warning too??

I wonder how dangerous it the situation really is with the motor on a bracket. Maybe I'm missing something :oops:

Thanks!

Lee

20200711_081621.jpg

Pighunter

Reaction score
My 1999 228 is at the upholstery shop right now but I'm pretty sure I saw that sign on my boat

seasick

Reaction score
It's probably not an issue. The plug is there to block gas fumes ( and in a worst case scenario, liquid gas) from getting into the aft bilge area.If there were devices in that area that were not ignition protected like a diesel or possible gas generator, the plug should be installed. In your case, even if you had no bracket but just transom mounted outboards(s), you would still be OK. If that hull and year also cam with an inboard motor config, the blocking of fumes or gas from the engine compartment would also be required.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's probably not an issue. The plug is there to block gas fumes ( and in a worst case scenario, liquid gas) from getting into the aft bilge area.If there were devices in that area that were not ignition protected like a diesel or possible gas generator, the plug should be installed. In your case, even if you had no bracket but just transom mounted outboards(s), you would still be OK. If that hull and year also cam with an inboard motor config, the blocking of fumes or gas from the engine compartment would also be required.
I was thinking about the inboard option on that year as well. It was available from Grady.

Since the fuel separator in the bilge seems more of a danger, I am not going to sweat it.

seasick

Reaction score
I was thinking about the inboard option on that year as well. It was available from Grady.

Since the fuel separator in the bilge seems more of a danger, I am not going to sweat it.
The fuel separator is not an ignition source and in technical terms is not flammable so it is not an issue. If you had an inboard and the fuel filter was in the same space, you can not install something like a Racor if it has a plastic bowl.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The fuel separator is not an ignition source and in technical terms is not flammable so it is not an issue. If you had an inboard and the fuel filter was in the same space, you can not install something like a Racor if it has a plastic bowl.
My plastic bowl fell off twice with gas in it during the last year. Probably over tightened it. But not a good feeling at all.