228G or 232?

mcgyver

Reaction score
I'm torn between these 2 lengths and need some help from owners. My boating consists of salmon fishing pacific west coast (overnighters) to cruising for 3 nights with wife and 2 kids (75% fishing/25% cruising) Does the vberth in the 228 have the sink and stove in the way? I don't need/want either nor the head but am unsure if the 228 came without them. i know the beam goes up 6" in the 232 and it seems like a substancially larger boat. I tow 100%, longetst tow would be 60 miles. I don't know if the 232 would be alot more boat than i need......
thanks

JiminGA

Reaction score
The 232 is a LOT more boat than the 228 - over 1,000 lbs heavier and 1 foot 3 inches more beam.

The 228 has a small sink and no stove. The sink does not get in the way of the berth. I'm really not sure how you could sleep the wife + 2 kids in the 228 - it could accommodate 2 adults but thats it. The head sits underneath the drop-in cushion insert for the berth and would not affect use of the berth.

While the 232 is larger, it still would be a challenge to sleep 2 adults plus 2 kids - there are no berth provisions for 4.

Towing the 228 can be done with a 1/2 ton pickup easily or in our case a V-8 Z-71 Tahoe with a tow package. Personally, I would not attempt to tow a 232 without at least a 3/4 ton pickup.

There are a lot of photos and information on all the GW boats at www.gradywhite.com.

Hope this helps.

mcgyver

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, is the sink removable? I can't really see why the hell i would want one in a 22' boat and the use of storage would be great. i'm looking at one about the year 2000-2002 and have done some fiberglass work in the past. I've also seen the 208 and it's cuddy and it looks not alot smaller than the 228 cuddy, can you comment? thanks
Doug

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The sink is tiny and one need not remove it. You may want to consider the Journey, but even that would be small for 4 folks. With that said I am 5.5, the Admiral is lucky to to be 4.10 and my kids are small. We took a cruise down the St. Johns River from the mouth a Mayport to Sanford in our 228 camping out on it for 4 nights. We have lots of backpacking equipment so our gear is compact and small. I find the cabin of the 228 to be about as big as our 4 person backpacking tent. If one is so inclined they can put 2 adults and 2 kids on it, we put 2 adults and 3 kids in the cabin of the 228. We have full curtains including the rear drop. We did take a kid on put them on Thermarest and let them sleep on the floor between the seats.

If you had a choice between the Gulfy and the Seafarer, I love my Seafarer dont get me wrong, but space is a premium on a boat and the Gulfy would perhaps be the better choice.

uncljohn

Reaction score
My 1988 228 doesn't have any sink. It also won't sleep 2 adults + 2 kids, unless the kids are on the deck. It barely sleeps me (6'2") and my wife (5'2").

You say you don't care about or need a head, but trust me if you have wife and kids you do need a port-a-potty, which my 228 has. Not familiar w/ the 232.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Lol...I can tell y'all don't go backpacking. I can being 6 2 it would be uncomfortable. I guess if you want comfortable getting somethin in the 28 foot plus range is ideal.

mcgyver

Reaction score
Thanks all, VERY familiar with the "camping" comment. and a cuddy is really only a place out of the elements when your boating, for us. It'll be fun and cozy...my 20' sleeps 2 adults and 1 kid just fine. now to find a winter "project"......