228g position on Venture Trailer

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On recently purchased boat and trailer , weight needs to be moved forward.. I am trying to eliminate as much trial and error by getting dimensions and roller pictures from anyone who has a similar set up/
It is a Venture 5400/23.
From Photos below the transom is about 18" from end roller.. dealer says it should be 4" to 1 foot max.
Problem is that the rollers have to be moved inward to elevate boat so keel will ride over the piece of tubing at the front (see picture). I could also move tandems 3 to 4 inches rearward to get a little weight shifted.
If anyone could help with measurement's from ball to center of tandems as well as some pictures or reference points for the rollers I would appreciate it .
Rory

713H0434.jpg

713H0435.jpg

713H0436.jpg

713H0437.jpg

G8RDave

Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help too much since I have a bunk trailer, but it does look like moving the rollers towards the center is a good idea. The front of the boat seems to be sitting very low on the trailer. Just out of curiosity, does the name 5400/23 indicate that the trailer is only designed to hold 5400 lbs total? If so that seems rather low, especially if that number includes the weight of the trailer itself.

Are the springs unevenly compressed? It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but it's hard to tell. If the springs are fairly even your weight distribution should be about right, even if the transom hangs off the back a bit. That's not to say the trailer is set up right (since the transom wouldn't have much,if any, support). It may just be that the trailer wasn't designed for this type of boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Move rollers brackets closer to keel as was suggested, to raise boat height.

If you move the boat that much further forward than it is now, you will have to move the axles that much futher also in the same direction, to keep same weight on tongue.

Is the weight on the tongue the way it is now, proper,or too little or too much?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The roller brackets are adjustable across the beam, but are they also adjustable length wise?
Then you can avoid moving axles if the weight on tongue now is OK, and instead move the rear set of rollers further towards the stern.

seasick

Reaction score
I ahve a 20 footer on a Venture 4700. The transom is even with the end of the trailer. Your forward keel looks too low. I would be afraid of it hitting the trailer so first adjustment is to bring the rollers closer to center. The rollers if I remember correctly can't be moved forward or aft.
Once the forward rollers are adjusted, you will have to move the winch post forward and then winch the boat forward a bit, perhaps a foot.
I know from experience that boats can roll off when you don't think it's possible so if you are going to move the winch post and therefore un hook the winch cable and saftey chain, use good tiedowns to hold the hull tight to the trailer. You might want to also hitch up the trailer to your vehicle just in case the tongue wieght is off. I think that the hull slope on your boat is similar to mine so if you want, I will measure my roller positios and get back to you. I can show pictures since the boat is in a slip and gets traillered for winter storage only.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No the 5400 is the carying capacity

G8RDave said:
I'm afraid I can't help too much since I have a bunk trailer, but it does look like moving the rollers towards the center is a good idea. The front of the boat seems to be sitting very low on the trailer. Just out of curiosity, does the name 5400/23 indicate that the trailer is only designed to hold 5400 lbs total? If so that seems rather low, especially if that number includes the weight of the trailer itself.

Are the springs unevenly compressed? It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but it's hard to tell. If the springs are fairly even your weight distribution should be about right, even if the transom hangs off the back a bit. That's not to say the trailer is set up right (since the transom wouldn't have much,if any, support). It may just be that the trailer wasn't designed for this type of boat.

gw204

Reaction score
Move the rear crossmember back if you can. Looks like you would then have to slide the boat and winch post back a bit to keep the aft most roller close the transom. Then move the axles back to get the proper tongue weight. Squeeze the front rollers in some to elevate the bow if it hits the axles or front crossmemeber when loading.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The tongue weight is too low.. that is why I want to move boat forwad and/or axles back

BobP said:
Move rollers brackets closer to keel as was suggested, to raise boat height.

If you move the boat that much further forward than it is now, you will have to move the axles that much futher also in the same direction, to keep same weight on tongue.

Is the weight on the tongue the way it is now, proper,or too little or too much?

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I might be able to move the crosss members .. not sure but that wont help..The problem is too little tongue weight.. That is totally a function of how much weight is front of the axles not where the rollers are.
From the point of view of the ball, there is only one suspension point.. The axles

BobP said:
The roller brackets are adjustable across the beam, but are they also adjustable length wise?
Then you can avoid moving axles if the weight on tongue now is OK, and instead move the rear set of rollers further towards the stern.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with all of that and the only way to bring those rollers closer together is with the boat off of the trailer. I agree that the transom should be farther forward. Just was hoping to find someone who had this set up so I could get this adjusted without a lot of on and off with the boat.
If it is not to much trouble a few pictures of your set up might help.
Thanks

seasick said:
I ahve a 20 footer on a Venture 4700. The transom is even with the end of the trailer. Your forward keel looks too low. I would be afraid of it hitting the trailer so first adjustment is to bring the rollers closer to center. The rollers if I remember correctly can't be moved forward or aft.
Once the forward rollers are adjusted, you will have to move the winch post forward and then winch the boat forward a bit, perhaps a foot.
I know from experience that boats can roll off when you don't think it's possible so if you are going to move the winch post and therefore un hook the winch cable and saftey chain, use good tiedowns to hold the hull tight to the trailer. You might want to also hitch up the trailer to your vehicle just in case the tongue wieght is off. I think that the hull slope on your boat is similar to mine so if you want, I will measure my roller positios and get back to you. I can show pictures since the boat is in a slip and gets traillered for winter storage only.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Since your tongue weight is too low, after you sqeeze the forward set of rollers closer together and move the winch stand forward, then winch the boat forward.

Then recheck the tongue weight, if not where you want it, move the axles either forward or rearward a little accordingly.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I have the same trailer for my 241 Offshore............I installed a keel roller right where the bow meets the trailer to "lift" the bow over the trailer so I was able to move the boat up further.

gw204

Reaction score
rorkin,

I understand your desire to want to minimize the number of times you put the boat on and off the the trailer, but at some point you'll have to stop asking for pictures and just start the trial and error process. You'll end up spending less overall time gettting it set up the way you want.

The trailer looks relatively new so you shouldn't have any problems with rusted bolts. So, take your wrenches (3/4" box end and 3/4" socket outta do it) down to the ramp on a slow day and just have at it. Might take you a few hours, but it will be done.

If you want to drag it over to Solomons, I'll get it adjusted for you...but it'll cost ya. :D

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'78GradyGulfstream said:
I have the same trailer for my 241 Offshore............I installed a keel roller right where the bow meets the trailer to "lift" the bow over the trailer so I was able to move the boat up further.

At the risk of sounding dumb :) If the bow roller lifts the front , Is the mid ship roller set still in contact with the hull or did you have to reposition them also ?

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
rorkin,

I understand your desire to want to minimize the number of times you put the boat on and off the the trailer, but at some point you'll have to stop asking for pictures and just start the trial and error process. You'll end up spending less overall time gettting it set up the way you want.

The trailer looks relatively new so you shouldn't have any problems with rusted bolts. So, take your wrenches (3/4" box end and 3/4" socket outta do it) down to the ramp on a slow day and just have at it. Might take you a few hours, but it will be done.

If you want to drag it over to Solomons, I'll get it adjusted for you...but it'll cost ya. :D

Gee was just at Solomons a couple weeks ago for the get together..
Left the trailer home though.. I know.. I will have to get to the trial and error part but hoped to luck out with someone who had this set up. and save those couple of hours :)

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'78GradyGulfstream said:

Thats an interesting idea.. How big a roller did you use. You mounted it right on top of the square tubing that is in fact the tongue ??

'84Offshore

Reaction score
The mid-ship rollers are still in contact with the hull.
Here are a couple of pics of the roller.........boat is in the water at the moment, only really use trailer for winter storage.

P9040020.jpg

P9040021.jpg

B-Faithful

Reaction score
push the forward trays together some. It will raise the bow. Do to the flatter transom and sharp entry of my previous boat I had to have the forward trays pretty close together to keep the bow from hitting the axle and the back of the trailer tonge. The boat actually was bow high on the trailer but it was good for allowing the deck to drain during storms at rest. You may need a taller winch stand when you do this though