228G Seafarer versus 232 Gulfstream

pensagrady

Reaction score
Which boat actually has the better ride in a 2-3 foot sea? The seafarer is lighter but narrower (8'-0"). The Gulfstream is heavier but wider (9'-3").

Captain Chris

Reaction score
Don't have back to back experience with either. But on paper, I'd say the extra 1000lbs of mass with the 232 will definitely give it an advantage. If I were in the market right now, I'd almost certainly buy the 232 because of the extra beam. Another foot of beam will make a world of difference in cockpit size -- unless of course, you plan on trailering.

flynnaire

Reaction score
Wish I had side to side pictures of both, but as of yet one is in Dana and the other is in San Diego.

To me these are two differant boats. But first ask your self this.
Are you going to trailer it???? The beam of the 232 means permits in most states and some keen driving skills to keep her between the lines.

My impresion so far is that the 232 is more like a Cadilac and the 228 is a Porche. With the same trade off's. Room, fuel usage etc.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I think in 2-3 the 228 will give a "better" ride, but it will be slower and wetter. You can plow through with the tabs down at 17 knots, but the 232 with twins has the ability to get up on top and run 25 knots in 2-3.

Hard to explain, but at a certain speed and chop, the 232 does not ride well, but the best way to handle that is to speed up, not slow down. Not so with the 228. On the 232 you want to get the wide, flat chine up out of the water.

I single 232 is a whole different boat, that probably needs to tab down and plow along in rough water to not pound.

Just my opinion, but I think in many circumstances, the more proportional 226/8 will ride better. You'll just get there later.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
I went from an 89 Seafarer (non SV2 hull) to an 03 Gulfstream w/twins and the SV2 hull. The rides are miles apart.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had an 85 Seafarer and went to a Gulfstream. Hands down the Gulfstream wins in every aspect. Smoother, drier more stable. Not a fair comparisson - even though the Giulfstream is a foot bigger it feels lit 5 feet bigger because of the beam. I recently went to a 282 Sailfish and I can say the difference between the Gulfstream and the Sailfish. The Sailfish rides dramatically better than the Gulfstream. Heavier and longer and twins versue a single engine.
Both great boats - just depends on your needs

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ShadyGradyCapt and I have the same 232 setup, and I also went from a Seafarer with a 250 Yamaha.
There is no comparison..The Gulfstream is in a whole other league..Miles better..

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I agree the 232 is a whole different boat. I had a 232 with a single 225 OX66. It rode great! And I agree, with the 232 ya have to be willing to push the throttles forward to get a smoother ride. I also learned a lot a lot trim on that boat! I was almost always walking away form boats as they struggled in the 2 to 3 or more foot slop and I pressed her to 24 to 26 getting her up on top and adjusting the trim. As far as a "dry ride", it was dry for those under the hard top, those in the back, at times got drenched.
-
Moved up to a Sailfish last year and its another leap forward. We don't run much faster offshore but the ride is far better.