228G Seafarer

jmb392003

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new (used) boat. I looked at a 1994 228G. Boat look and rode very well. My one major concern was I noticed the rear scupper being covered about 3/4 while sitting in the water. Is this normal? It has a 225 Hp merc Optimax on the bracket. Could this mean that the transom is somewhat waterlogged? Also inside there was caulk all around the inside scupper. All thru all were replaced 2 years ago as per the seller with stainless steel thru hulls. Should I be concerned is this normal for this model with the scuppers sitting that far in the waterline on the rear?

Thanks in advance

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a '00 228G with a Yamaha 225 two stroke on the back. The scuppers are never completely out of the water and with full load of fuel are about 3/4 covered.

They drain fine and I never have a wet deck from back flow.

PA228G

Reaction score
My '94 is exactly as you describe. Like the other posters will tell you, I've never had an issue with drainage - but I do wish the LCG was a little farther fwd. Mine is as bow light as it gets - no hardtop, fwd aux tank, or bow pulput, etc.

ctewks34

Reaction score
I'm sooo glad other Gradys sit so low at the stern. My '87 has a Mercruiser back there which is heavy, but so is a big outboard. Thanks for the post.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
My experience is the same as Strikezone. Of course, we have the same model and year boat, but I've never had a problem with water coming in the boat through the scuppers.

SwampGrizz

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Depending on load in my boat the.scuppers sit low too. Sometimes if we have a lot people on the boat on the lake and we are stationary and those people are aft water will be standing on the deck. Otherwise this never happens to us either.

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '85 Seafarer 227 with a 350 I/O also sits low in the rear. I use the plastic cup with the "ping pong" ball inside & they seem to work fine. very little water gets inside even when we're anchored & I'm pulling the stern down getting my fat ass up the swim platform ladder. What water gets in drains right away. :dance