23 Gulfstream Range and Capabilities Offshore

tboylan

Reaction score
I am curious to know how far out other Gulfstream owners take their boats. I have a 2007 with a single F250 that was new to me last year. I have put several hours on her doing trips to Block and Montauk and one 25 Miles Offshore getting used to the boat and its capabilities. I would like to hear how far out you have been and what you estimate your comfortable fuel range to be. Thanks!

grady23

Reaction score
I have had my '97 offshore as far as 40 miles down in the Hatteras area. We watched the weather VERY CAREFULLY as it can change in that region quickly. Fishing was great. Wahoo, Blackfin Tuna and Dolphin of various sizes.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Had a 93 with twin 2000 ox66 225 Would go 50 plus miles out. Sometimes returning with 5 gallons of fuel. Sold it for a boat with a larger fuel tanks. Had it for almost a year. Besides the fuel issue it was a beast.

Finatic

Reaction score
I have a Gulfstream with twin f150s and I regularly run the boat to the canyons out of Ocean City, MD. The furthest I've been from the inlet is 72 miles. I always keep an eye on the weather and try to run with a buddy boat. The boat can handle a lot more than my body can.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Weather wise - of course the further you go, the more perfect the weather must be.

Fuel wise - it's just math...
You must know, and I mean REALLY know, what your boat burns at cruise with a heavy load (ice, full fuel, full water, gear, guys, etc.). You must also know what you burn while trolling.
Then, understand what ever your fuel capacity is, multiply that by 90% (95% tops) as that is what is "available" for use since you can't get every drop out of your tanks. Then multiply your "available" fuel by 65 or 75% to allow for a safety margin - in case weather comes up and economy goes down or you decide to alter your float plan by running further out or staying longer.

Having a good supply of fresh water should not be overlooked when running far offshore. And water weighs basically as much as gas so the weight all adds up. Lastly, I would not venture over the horizon without two engines on my transom but that's me. Good luck and I hope some of my suggestions here makes sense and are useful to you.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Of course you have to pick your days, but I have been 60-65 miles offshore from OC Maryland fishing the canyons with 4 guys, gear, ice, etc. Ran out, trolled all day and ran back in and still had plenty gas in reserve. I have Twin 200 HP Yammies.

ahill

Reaction score
A friend used to run his Gulfstream from Islamorada to Bimini, refuel and go to the Berry's.
He's been caught in nasty stuff but the boat handled it well.
He had twin 150 Johnsons.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Block and Montauk, you're in my area! Great place to be in the summer months, love it!

Having just one motor I wouldn't go past the 25 mile safe sea towing limit.

tboylan

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! Has anyone had any experience using the Yamaha 'Command Link' fuel consumption gauge? I have not used it yet. Any feedback on its accuracy?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2007/ Twin 200 HP 4-strokes.

Just went to the Keys from Charlotte Harbor. 197 miles 1-way. Burned 116 gal. Averaged 1.7-2.0 MPG.

I don't fish or troll, but I can always get over 200 miles per tank cruising.