23 Gulstream cabin questions

andyb

Reaction score
Hey all. I linger around this site from time to time but rarely post since I don't currently own a Grady. A buddy and I are considering a boat partnership and splitting a wet slip in order to avoid the ever increasingly crowded ramps here in Charleston. I currently have a Pursuit 2350 walkaround (became the 2470 later on) and I really love this boat. But, it's an Volvo I/O and it can be frustrating getting parts, working on, etc., and I don't want to have a wet slipped I/O boat. He has a 21 Mako. It's a deal breaker for me that it would have to be a walkaround as the girlfriend and I enjoy cruising ICW and overnighting from time to time. I also love having the hardtop and curtains when offshore and for when that storm blows up. A Gulfstream is just about a great fit size wise, BUT I've always thought the cabin layout was very strange and not a good utilization of space for overnighting on. It's been a long, long time since I last set foot on a Gulfstream though. I just have a gut feeling that the Gulfstream cabin won't cut it for us 2, a beagle, and a brittany spaniel.

TLDR: Can somebody give me an idea of the measurement of the bottom bunk length and width with the filler cushions in?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bunk length is a little over 6ft. I'm 5' 11" and when I owned my Gulfstream I could easily stretch out. I must add that I'm a little fart and can easily fit myself into small places.

Put the filler cushion in and you and girlfriend can sleep comfortably side-to, but there's not a lot of wiggle room. Dogs would be a problem unless on deck where I assume you wouldn't feel safe leaving them while your asleep.

The overhead bunk is a doable option for a third party, but pretty narrow and it requires boat yoga to climb up there.

The sink & stove to port is unrealistic. I have no idea why Grady included them. Put your overnite bags on them and forget it.

To summarize; it's a long way from the JW Marriott but you can comfortably overnite in the Gulfstream. We did it for years. It depends on yours (and, more importantly,) your girlfriend's expectations. it worked for us 'cause there's enough Woodstock Hippie in us that we treated it like camping out without the tent.

andyb

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Our expectations for accommodations are low. This is our camping out. We can do without a genny, AC/heat, etc. We just need a little bit of cushion and sleeping bags. I'm about 5'11" and shes about 5'4". Neither of us are large people but not exactly bean poles either.

In the Pursuit we each have our sleeping bag, heads to the bow, V shaped following the bunk. Then there's plenty of room in between in the wider part of the bunk for the dogs, and we can fit a dog bed on the floor of the cabin at the end of the berth still too. Then there's storage boxes at the feet still, one big enough to keep our Magma and extra propane in. Overnight bags just sit on top of the storage box.

Sounds like in a Grady we'd need to go Voyager at a minimum to fit the dogs too and even still would be missing storage boxes for the grill.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is has been a while since owned a Gulfstream but my wife and I spent a lot of time overnighting along with a golden retriever. Not the Marriott but it was always comfortable. More importantly is the Gulfstream's wide beam, it performs and rides like a much bigger boat. Definitely does feel like a 23 when the ocean acts up.

andyb

Reaction score
Local place has a 2018 listed. Far out of our budget but may swing by there if I can ever get a break from work and just check out the bunk size.

seasick

Reaction score
Boat partnerships are like marriage: Feels great at first and then the divorce:)
For me, I could never share ownership with a friend. Too many things that can go wrong and too many things that could wreck a friendship.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's tight. Really just to duck out of nasty weather. It you like being tight, it can work.