230 Fisherman vs. 257 Advance

Frank

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the differences between the new Fisherman 230 and the existing Advance 257? They are both around the same weight.

* Fisherman has 21.6 degree transom deadrise vs. standard 20 degrees of Advance, so it should ride better but the Advance has a longer waterline (I assume) so it may ride about as well. Has anyone ridden on both?

* The Advance can take twins but the Fisherman is limited to a single. Some have indicated here that the twins handle better, but perhaps the new light weight Yamaha 300 reduces the difference in handling between a single and the twin 150s (I know there will be some benefit to the second engine, but at increased purchase and operating cost).

* The Advance has a nice transom fishbox, greater fuel capacity, transom door, bigger cockpit.

What other advantages are there to one or the other and does the Fisherman 230 fill a niche that is different from the Advance? Any idea on whether there is much difference in pricing?

Frank

Reaction score
I thought I would bring this back to the top. I am surprised no one has any thoughts on how these two compare. Other than a different hull with more deadrise, I am having a hard time seeing how the 23 improves on the 257 unless it is substantially cheaper.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We don't have any owners here for more than this new model too.

I liked the 230 also, had a full rigid stern and flush coming pad straight across even though motor on transom design.

Single engine only possible but allows big transom cap wells.

Frank

Reaction score
I would have thought owners would be using at least a couple by now.

What do you guys think as compared to the Advance? The Fisherman 230 seems to give up a lot to the Advance (no transom fishbox, fuel capacity, transom door, cockpit space and length). With the increase in deadrise and better ability to work a fish around the transom/motor, I imagine Grady is targeting the Regulator 23 class of boats, but I am having difficulty in seeing it as a major improvement over the Advance. Am I missing something?

fishinmission

Reaction score
25 ' Advance

I have had mine since 2005 and it is the best boat I have had..... even against other Grady's ..... I take mine to the Canyon and back (70 to 90 miles each way , Shark fish or the back bays it always gets better then 2 MPG with twin 150's.... a t-top is a must it rides like a big boat ......So Far 450 hrs a only maintenance work....

Good Luck

Frank

Reaction score
What speed are you running on those long trips?

fishinmission

Reaction score
Fuel Burn 25' advance twin 150's

I can run 4000 rpm with 4 guys Ice and Full fuel and get 30 mph ......and as I increase rpm's it stays over getting 2 mpg which is great . 4000 rpm is the sweet spot .

I have left my slip at 4:30 am come back at 7:30 or later on a Basically flat day burn 100 gallons of fuel and trolled all day. if its rough out I can use 115 gallons.......Make sure your props are in great shape..that is key