232 Gulfstream Aux fuel tank filling

bls-fla

Reaction score
My aux fuel tank backs up when I try to fill it. I've made sure the vent tube is clear so that leaves the fill hose. I can push a 1" dia. hose through to the tank end, it's clear all the way but gets tight about 6 foot from the fill end. So if that's a kink it's under the deck in front of the captain's seat. I've tried pulling the hose to see if there was an excess but no luck. To change the hose I'll probably have to put in a couple of access plates, one near the fill. What I wonder about is putting one in the deck above where I figure the kink is. I can see a
bulkhead surrounding the tank compartment, is the area in front of the seat clear? ANy help appreciated.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Analyze this before you start major surgery. Did it just start, has it been the same for the length of time you've owned the boat, is it now in the water where it usually gets fueled on a trailer (or verse visa), how do you know the vent hose is a clear as it once was, what if anything would have caused the fill to now be kinked where is wasn't always so. Guaranteed that 1.5" reinforced hose isn't gonna 'kink' on it's own, particularly with some age. Let us know ... :uhm

bls-fla

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's been this way since I bought the boat; I'm finally getting around to fixing it, ordinarily the 93-gallon main tank is plenty for me. The vent hose is completely clear and the through-hull vent is new. I'm not anxious to do this surgery but I'd like to take a trip to the Bahamas in the future and want to have both tanks. I don't know how this big old fuel hose could get kinked but it is or there's something in it causing partial blockage.

toolguy73

Reaction score
I just replaced my hoses in October. I cut a 6"round plate in at the fills. There should be an inspection plate on the inside of the cabin to look at the fill hose and rigging. That area is pretty busy down there. Curmudgeon is right. It would be very unusual to have that fill hose kinked. But if it's been that way since you bought it, it may be.

Do you have a shop air supply available? Or something to blow through the line?

4/0

Reaction score
bls-fla said:
My aux fuel tank backs up when I try to fill it. I've made sure the vent tube is clear so that leaves the fill hose. I can push a 1" dia. hose through to the tank end, it's clear all the way but gets tight about 6 foot from the fill end. So if that's a kink it's under the deck in front of the captain's seat. I've tried pulling the hose to see if there was an excess but no luck. To change the hose I'll probably have to put in a couple of access plates, one near the fill. What I wonder about is putting one in the deck above where I figure the kink is. I can see a
bulkhead surrounding the tank compartment, is the area in front of the seat clear? ANy help appreciated.

I just pulled my tanks and am having new ones made. Mine is a 92 232G.
Under the deck at the helm is where all of the cables/electric comes through and I have a access right at the bunk in the cabin. This is for help in pulling new cables/wires. I have no access to the fuel fill from there. I can see mine from under the gunnel at the fishbox or from in front of the seat at deck level. I am replacing all hoses and the only way that I can see to that is too splice the two hoses together and pull/push from the tank to the fill after you pull the fill caps. The fill caps are bolted not screwed.

My first guess is still the vent line. Have you looked at the line? There is a spring around it to hold it in the "loop" they are side by side. Might check that first.

Butch

bls-fla

Reaction score
Trust me, I want the problem to be the vent hose but it isn't. I can see the hose from the access hole by the bunk. It doesn't look kinked but it does seem to hang lower than it has to, meaning it may be longer than it needs to be. I haven't been able to pull it through from the tank end, it looks like the hose was run through the stringer and sealed with fiberglass; the hose won't budge. But I'm going to try again, if I can't pull this slack out I'll never be able to replace the hose.

4/0

Reaction score
The fuel fill hose is not glassed in. However it is a good fit. When I pulled my tanks I had to cut the fill hose, I could not just loosen the clamp and side it off. Once I cut it I was able to get it off and slide it back and forth.

I have a thread on tht on it in the boating forum, I find it easier to post pictures over there. My new tanks are being made right now and the deck is still up with the boat sitting in my shop so I could take a picture of an area for you if you thought it would help you. Mine is 92 so it might help depending on what year your boat is.

Butch

bls-fla

Reaction score
Butch,
Thanks for the good info. I've decided there isn't much I can do about it unless I replace the hose. That will require putting an access in the gunnel where the fuel inlets are. So, using the access in the cabin and a garden hose shoved through the fuel hose I was able to find for sure where the binding occurs. It binds about 2 feet from the tank end of the hose. I was able to chip away what was holding the hose tight so I could pull it out. There is nothing about the hose that should cause a kink at that point. I can only assume it binds because of the curve in the hose and I don't see how to change that. Today I tried to rearrange the hose to minimize the curve radius and in the next day or so I'll try to put fuel in.

So thanks all for the advice.