232 Gulfstream: New deck pad installed (w/ pics) - GatorStep...

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I just had the Gator Step deck installed in the cockpit of my Gulfstream today. I love how it came out and how it feels under foot.
I went with GatorStep over the others for a few reasons. Primarily, I liked the feel of the material more. I've been boats with other's but GatorStep just feels more durable - it has a firmer feel to it. I also really appreciate the way they template the boat. Others have to use cut-out mylar templates that you mark up by hand. GatorStep has a fully digitized template procedure where they photograph special "target" cards placed on the deck. The pictures are then translated to exact deck dimensions and a rendering sent to you. Lastly, they have a office local to me in Costa Mesa.
I just had the lower cockpit done for now to see how I like it, but will likely have the upper cockpit/helm done soon.

For Gulfstream owners (mine is a 2007). They now have our model digitized, so if you are interested, they can cut and route exactly what color and pattern you would want without having to remeasure or template your boat.

Gator Step 2.jpgGator Step 3.jpg

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
So far, almost 1 day...
Really, they say expect 5 years if you are hard on it, leave your boat uncovered, etc. In reality, it typically last longer if covered and taken care of. If pieces get damaged, you can always replace just one section.
Seems the biggest risk is if it gets gouged. It is a high density foam and seems pretty tough, but they say avoid dragging things on top of it.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It's not cheap. Figure $25/sf for materials, $5/sf if they have to pattern/digitize it (Gulfstream owners can save this as they just digitized mine), $5/sf if they install if you are local to them.
DIY install should be easy - clean the deck good and take your time getting the sheets straight. GatorStep uses a high quality 3M adhesive peel and stick backing.

My install is pretty basic. They can route any pattern you want in the material. They also can laser etch wood grain onto the material to really give a realistic teak plank look. You can spend a fortune if you get too creative.