232 Gulfstream trailering

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
I am currently deciding in the used market between a 22 SeaFarer and a 23 Gulfstream. I really like the added amenities of a Gulfstream but it comes with the downside of added weight. I have a 1500 Silverado to tow with but am wondering what others think about the right vehicle for the job. It is about 25 miles to the water for me on the short side and I take 90 mile tow trips a half dozen times a year. Thanks

GWcpa

Reaction score
A 232 especially with twins will be at the max for a Silverado.

I towed mine with a Tahoe, and when the boat was full of fuel it was all I wanted to tow with it. 226/8 will be no problem.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gulfstream towing

A 1/2 ton silverado might be a little light to pull a Gulfstream safely. I pull mine with a Ford diesel Excursion and it works hard to do it. If it was up to me, I would go with the Gulfstream, because your going to love it, and upgrade my tow vehicle. But that's just me. Good luck with your decision. Joe.

Reactions: coldpizza

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I agree with the others. I tow my '08 225 w/ a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. The 225 is the same hull as the 226/228. I regularly go 150 miles one way to Cumberland and then back home. If I were towing anything any bigger I would go with the 2500 w/ Duramax and Allison transmission. I wish I had bought it when I bought this truck but I was too cheap to shell out the $7000+ for the upgrade. One other thing to consider is to be legal with the Gulfstream's 9'3" beam you may have to get oversize permits depending on where you tow and how strict the troopers are where you live. 8'6" is about the maximum legal beam in most states w/o special permits. You'll love either boat, it's just a matter of what works best for you. Good luck!

gw204

Reaction score
Depends on the year of the 232 and year/drivetrain of the Silverado. A new 1500 HD should be able to tow pretty much any 232. Even an non-HD 5.3 1500 could pull one from the late 80s/early 90s.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I sold my 3/4 454 and bought a Cummins Dodge Diesel for my Gulfstream.
A 1/2 ton is too light..My Gulfstream is 10,100 lbs. and my full-ton Dually Dodge is perfect.

Keep in mind you'll be hauling extra gear..Anchors, coolers full of ice, it all adds up. My opinion..You need a "safety comfort zone." maxing your tow truck out will shorten it's lifespan...
I realize my 232 may be heavier than some and there are newer 1/2-tons with higher tow ratings. I still say bigger is better...

Oh yeah..

You have to stop the rig too.....

jimfish

Reaction score
I tow my 232 with a 5.3L Avalanche. I do NOT have the lower geared axle, but the 3.73. I have taken the boat from northern Michigan to Vero Beach and back without any problems whatsoever. When towing any distance to speak of, however, I would pay strict attention to the following:

1) WEIGH the boat / trailer rig. You will be shocked at how much your towed rig actually weighs!
2) Trailer with the absolute minimum amunt of fuel on board. Full tanks approach a half ton in extra weight. Ditto water. Drain tanks before trailering.
3) Be very cognizant of the gear and "stuff" on board the boat. It can easily add up to well over a half ton.
4) Be absolutely certain that your trailer will handle what your towed rig ACTUALLY weighs.
5) Be absolutely certain that your trailer tires are rated for what your towed rig ACTUALLY weighs, and that the tires are in top shape. Radials - _ I use Goodyear Marathons - tow easier due to less rolling resistance and stay cooler for the same reason. I recommend using tires rated at least 15% OVER the towed weight of the rig. For a 232, this means 15" tires - NOT 14".
6) Be certain that your trailer brakes are in top shape. I use Kodiak discs. I also upgraded the trailer coupler / brake control to be certain that I had plenty of capacity. Don't forget your wheel bearings,, either!
6) Try to minimize extra weight IN the towed rig. Put the coolers in the truck. Fold down canvas, etc.
7) Stay within the tow vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Knowing the ACTUAL weight of your towed rig will make this calculation easy.
8) Drive defensively and leave LOTS of margin around you. Anticipate what those other drivers may do and protect your beautiful Gulfstream!

I also built a blaze orange reflector with tail lights to mount on my lower unit. It is powered by a pigtail from the trailer light circuit. You cannot believe how this changes how driver's behind me perceive my tilted up lower unit!!

Good luck!

Workdog

Reaction score
I used to pull my Gulfstream (w/twin 150 Merc EFIs) with a 1500 Suburban with 5.7L on short trips and once from VA up to my new home near Lake Erie. On the interstate, 55 mph was my usual top speed. Not that it couldn't tow faster, but there was some effort to do so. But, the motor in that vehicle was a little tired also. I've been pulling the Gulfstream with a 1500 Silverado CrewCab 4X4 with a high output 6.0L since '06, and it handles the boat very well. Acceleration, stopping, 65 mph on the interstate, up hills, this truck is great. Oh, by the way, nothing says you have to trailer over a thousand pounds of gas from home 90 miles to the pond. Fill up when you get there.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Gulfstream trailering

I've owned both models, you can't go wrong with either. However, keep in mind the Gulfstream exceeds maximum legal trailering width for most states and will require a special permit. Check your state laws.

Dean265

Reaction score
I tow my 265 with my '06 F-150...no problems. I tow long distance with considerable hills. The 1500 will do the job just fine.

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's responses. I just bought the truck, which is an '09 1500 crew cab 4wd with the max trailering for the model. Since I use the truck everyday and the boat obviously more on occassion I wanted to fit the boat around the truck and not the other way around. Maybe a better question (which was already answered by someone) is how much does your Gulfstream weigh when it is on the trailer? I know everyone's gear onboard will vary but just wondering what the numbers are for those who have weighed them.

jimfish

Reaction score
The REAL question is: "What does the Gulfstream AND the trailer AND all of the stuff IN the Gulfstream weigh?" That figure is your gross towed weight.
My 232 has single 300 HPDI power, a 15 hp kicker on an Offshore bracket, a radar arch, and a bunch of custom cabin shelving (Starboard) that I installed. My gross weight is 6200 - 6500 lbs, depending on what I carry in the boat (downriggers / weights, tackle, ice, food, clothing, etc.).
There are probably guys on this board - 232 owners - who will tell you that their Gulfstream tows at close to 8,000 pounds (fuel on board, water on board, twins, gear, hardtop, etc.).
I too view my Avalanche as a vehicle that must be fully capable of pulling my boat, but THAT is not the truck's primary function. That is why I ordered the 3.73 axle, which gives me 19.8+ mpg on the highway - nontowing.
Your truck will handle the boat. I would NOT tow in OD range.

jimfish

Reaction score
Just saw magical bill's post stating that his Gulfstream tows at over 10,000 lbs. He has ALL the toys on that boat, and I think he takes his large stash of gold bullion with him wherever he goes. Most of us SPENT our gold bullion to BUY the darn boat!! I wondered why Bill's boat rode low in the water, and now I know!
Bill does tow that rig all over the place, so he has experience with it, too.
I know he comes up to northern michigan and that last year he was in the Keys with his 232. I'm sure that the Cummins IS a great tow vehicle for the 232, and just about anything short of a naval vessel.

nevsatII

Reaction score
I've weighed my gulfstream on a truck scale and it weighs 8400 lbs. This includes boat, trailer, fuel, and gear. It has a single F250 on it.

Reactions: Bird Blaster

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Jim;

Yeah, we missed you at Portage last summer..You two gonna be up this year?
Anyway, Jim is right, I have all my stuff packed into the boat, and my trailer is heavy. Plus, I always keep full fuel onboard.
It's surprising the same boat can have such a wide range of weight..Just goes to show what a difference onboard gear, fuel and engines can be.

Jim also has a good point..Don't tow in Overdrive..I'm not sure whether your new truck has the "tow/haul" switch. If it doesn't, stay in drive gear..
Your gonna love the Gulfstream..best 23-footer ever!

jimfish

Reaction score
Bill, we are still in Sebastian. Still looking to sell our house down here, too. Market is rough, but not nearly so bad as St. Lucie county and south - also SW Fla. and Ft. Myers, Everglades City, etc. We'll be headed back to Onekama around mid-April and, BTW, have TWO houses to sell up there as well. You need to stop spending your $$$ at the Portage Point Inn, take some of your gold OUT of that Gulfstream and give it to me in exchange for the deed to a house that would REALLY suit your needs.
I'd be glad to "lighten your boat", anytime.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jim, where are you all gonna live, selling your houses North and South?
I have thought long and hard about living in my old "homeland" (Onekama) but can't get past the long cold winters with no boating. Hope to rendevouz with you this summer. I'll call you on our vacation dates up there.

Now, to get back to the topic at hand here, one more thing I'd like to mention that hasn't been brought up..Stability.
When I had my 3/4 and my 1/2 ton years ago, I always felt like the boat was kinda jerking the truck around.
Now that I have my dual-wheel Dodge, it has a much more "stable" feeling. It's sort hard to type down, but my Gulfstream feels more "sure-footed" behind the truck while towing. Going thru windy mountain passes in Tennessee, having trucks blow by me; in all conditions, the dual-wheel rig is in much better command of the load.

Oh, mileage..
10-12 MPG at 55-60MPH.
Over 60, drops to 8-10 MPG.

jimfish

Reaction score
We are still going to spend at least three months in Fla., but we will no longer own property in the state. Our residence will remain in Onekama, at LONGVIEW - the home that you can see up on the ridge when looking north from the Inn (and about everywhere else, too). We have another home (gourgeous - I built it when I retired) and a rental that we are selling there.

Yes, there is no doubt that the dually is about a perfect tow vehicle. If I towed WAY more it might be just the thing. But I, like most, do not have a truck to primarily tow. Towing is secondary. The tow vehicle (truck) must be adequate for the towing job, but more practical for day to day use. If you buy a 10,000 pound boat you must have a vehicle adequate for the boat, and a lightweight just will not cut it. I keep the tow load lighter so I can use a smaller tow vehicle. When I had my GW 209, my GMC Safari awd was adequate to tow. I had to upsize when I bought the 232, going to the Avallanche. It is a GREAT truck for day to day, and it tows my 232 quite well. The Avalanche would NOT tow well if my 232 weighed 8K or 10K pounds!!! Your dually is perefect for that!!

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry to bring up an OLD thread. I am looking into a new to me Grady for next year. I really would like to consider the 232 on my shortlist which currently has a 228 as the 232 has SO many features that I would like. The weight is the only thing I am wondering about.

I live in Northern Ontario and the majority of my boating will be in Lake Superior and Huron. The boat would be lift served at my house. I could realistically boat to Lake Michigan to do some visiting (~150nm). I don't have great needs to trailer the boat any distances but I still would like to have the option to trailer. Likely this would be in and around town for off-season storage, but would also like to have the option to take into Northern Michigan(120m to Charlevoix) by land and or to SW Ontario (Collingwood area, Georgian Bay, ~400miles). I think the likelihood of travel to Collingwood would be remote though.

I have seen many different numbers on what the boat weighs w/ a single, or twins +/- gas and trailer from 8500 - 10,000 lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2012 F150 w/ a rating of 9200lbs. Is this something I can manage for short trips? Perhaps this really eliminates the long trips (Collingwood). I know there will be permits required for width of the boat.

Thanks for you help
BB