232 power one more time

happy dog

Reaction score
I hate to raise this question again, but here goes: I am planning to order a new 232 Gulfstream with twin engines. Some say twin 150s are perfect for this boat, others say 200s. Can anyone with experience with these rigs comment?

GWcpa

Reaction score
The boat performs very well and more efficient at cruise with the 200s than 150s. The biggest negative of the 200s is the added weight.

I had one with 200 hpdis, but not sure I would not get the 150s now, just for the lower weight on the bracket and reduced costs. But without regard for the cost, I'd get the F200s. They are very nice motors.

A 33 knot cruise sure is nice on that boat and twins make it ride and handle much better.

Reaction score
I know it's a big 23 footer but isn't that a lot of hp? twin 200 is max for a sailfish...
I'll be the first to say/admit that I know nothing but I would think that twin 150's would be fine. In my marina there's a guy that has a single 250 on his GS and he has no complaints.
that's just my pair of pennies.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Hey I love my 200hpdi's on my boat but if I had your boat I would go with the 150's for several reasons.

Cost,resale,2 stroke oil.

And my buddy has the same boat with 150's and it runs just fine.

catch22

Reaction score
Imo, since your limited to just the 2 Yamaha choices, it is a tough call....

2 x F200's = 1166 Lbs., (583 ea).
2 x F150's = 932 lbs., (466 ea).
Difference = 234 lb.

Ideally, 300 hp, (twin 150's) should be ok for that GS. However, two things about the Yamaha F150 that would concern me.
1 - I've read some reports that they weren't actually putting out 150 hp. I forget the numbers, but something around 140, at the prop. I've also heard there was a class action law suit against Yamaha, because of that false hp claim. True/false? Did Yamaha make any changes to the 150 since it's intruduction?
2 - they are 4 cylinder engines. That would scare me a little, because all of the prior 2 stroke engines are 6 cylinder, when they make the jump to 150 hp. So how much torque and true power are you losing right there?

The extra hp, (twin 200's) wouldn't scare me at all, in fact I would prefer it. it's the extra 234 lbs I don't like. How does the boat sit at rest with the 200's, (lower in the stern)?... especially when you have a lot of fuel in the rear main tank and little in the front auxillary tank, (if that's how it's set up). How's it's ride... do you need more trim to get on plane, (vs 150's)?

I know GW lists performance info with different set ups, but if it were me, I'd want to see it in the real world. I'd want to see each boat in the water, at rest, as well as a serious test ride on each boat with the 2 engine options. Try to have 3 or 4 people on board, and a decent amount of fuel, (weight).

The bottom line, (imo) if the boat sits ok at rest, planes out and performs ok with the 200's, that's what I'd go for.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a single on mine and would have like the twins. I have seen the twin 200s and it looks like too much weight the way the boat sits. Twin 150's should be plenty. Another option is a single 350 if you are buying a new Gulfstream. Whatever you choose you will love the boat. Good Luck

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
i would think that twin 150's would be the correct set up- i have a friend with a 25 advance and twin 150's and they push that boat just fine.

Reactions: Gonso

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
we have an '02 with twin f200's. it does sit a little low in the stern, but i don't know if they raised the scuppers in later models. if i were to do it again today, i would go the same route. at my cruising speed, the engines aren't working that hard. i rarely get past the mid 3k's. if you were to compare the performance numbers that grady posts (and i can tell you that the numbers for the f200's are actually better in reality), the f150's are working a little harder. if you are really worried about weight, an f350 would make it fly, but you lose the twin maneuverability (which is really great). hope i haven't added confusion.

ron

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
catch22 said:
1 - I've read some reports that they weren't actually putting out 150 hp. I forget the numbers, but something around 140, at the prop.

Wow, very unusual. Never seen this claim before.

Everything I have read, including specific US govt test, have shown the F150s to consistently produce >160HP at the prop.

We purchased our Islander new in March 2002 with a single 250HP OX66. That is a 3.1 liter, 2-stroke engine. We repowered in Nov 2005 to the twin F150s, and it is a different boat.

While the 27-foot Islander with it's 8.5 foot beam is not the same as the shorter, stubbier, beamier GS, I can tell you that the twin F150s on out bost, rated for 500HP, are just fine.

And the F150 has a 2.7-liter displacement, so the torque is just fine.. as is the HP.

Brian

P.S. We havr 620 hours on the F150s...

gw204

Reaction score
It really is a shame Grady limits us to only Yamaha power. 175 Optis or Suzuki would be great on that hull.

pwake7

Reaction score
i have t 150s on mine and i have no complaints. Jumps out of the hole loaded with fuel, ice, 4 guys. Can cruise at 4200 rpms at 30mph and top out around 40-45. The 200's are too much weight as noted in earlier messages. why you would ahve to go any faster than that on the water is beyond me. Plus, its not realistic to go much faster in the ocean than that without being beat up.

striped bass

Reaction score
Happy Dog:
Grady White is now displaying the Gulf Stream in their showrooms with the F350. At 804 lbs. the F350 is even lighter than twin F150s not mention the twin F200s. Check it out. The wear and tear will be less and gas consumption will be better with the F350 not to mention the resale value. Keep us posted.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
I have been especially pleased with the twin 200's, particularly when I have full tanks, 4 large guys, ice and alot of gear. To each their own, but I wouldn't have this boat powered any other way, especially if you like the offshore thing. The performance numbers are actualy better with the 200's than with the 150's on paper and in real life!

keith1313

Reaction score
232 power

I have a 2002....232...with hpdi 150's and it is awesome. On plane right away and at 4000 rpm's burning 16 gph the boat is doing 30 mph. I ran same boat '05 with a single 4 stroke 225, before I bought this one.......... it was a different world.
Twin 150's are plenty but I would check 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke before making a decision. It's pretty much a fact that the 2 strokes have much more power out of the hole than the 4 strokes. Also, 200 + extra pounds for the 200's is an issue. My boat already sits pretty low in the transom with the 150's. Take a ride on both. Good luck ..........you will love that boat . :) :)

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2008, 232 with twin 150 4-strokes. The previous boat I owned was a 2005 24ft Robalo W/A with a single Yamaha 225. I only owned that boat for 11 months with the main reason for selling being, was in my opinion, the Robalo was under powered (WOT at 32 MPH and crusing speed of 24 mph).

We purchased the Robalo new and after selling it only after a short period of time, the only condition my better half made of the new deal was that the next boat we purchased we had to agree to keep for at least 5 years. So, I spend about a year reading this site and talking to the dealer (Norfolk Marine in my area). After weighing the pros and cons, I went with the 150's (as compared to my original desire not to be underpowered again and going with twin 200's).

So far we have about 45 hrs on the motors and I have no regrets. Last weekend, I had a full fuel tank and 6 adults and we went out to the First island of the Ches. Bay bridge tunnel (about a 7 mile run into the Ches bay) with a 2-3 foot chop. The boat did great. I did have to go WOT for about 7 seconds to get it up on plane but after that, even if I had more HP, I could not have used it.

AT other times, I have pulled my 14 yr old son on a wake board with 3 adults in the boat and it pulled him up just fine. WE also pulled him up on water skis and had no problem getting out of the hole. While I am sure twin 200's would have been even better, the 150's were OK.

I have noted that with having the Grady bracket and with a full tank and with 2 or 3 people that after coming off a plane the back wash from the wake will go seveal inches above the motor cover gasket. I can only imagine that with twin 200's it would sit even lower in the H2O.

anyway, after listening to the pros and cons. for where I use our grady. 90% of the time I can only travel above 35 to 40 mph. so having twin 200;s to hit the upper 40's would not give much.

So far our Grady does seem to perform exactly to the performance specs shown on the GW web site.

The only reason I would recommend going with twin 200's is if the waters you ride in will let you cruise at 35 to 45 mph most of the time.

Otherwise if you are like me and boating in the Ches. Bay and dealing with seas of 2 to 3 ft, I would recommend the twin 150's

But .... I would not recommend going with anything less than the twin 150's... of course the single 350 may be a different story ( but I like the redundancy of twins for the times we go offshore).

Ric

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2008, 232 with twin 150 4-strokes. The previous boat I owned was a 2005 24ft Robalo W/A with a single Yamaha 225. I only owned that boat for 11 months with the main reason for selling being, was in my opinion, the Robalo was under powered (WOT at 32 MPH and crusing speed of 24 mph).

We purchased the Robalo new and after selling it only after a short period of time, the only condition my better half made of the new deal was that the next boat we purchased we had to agree to keep for at least 5 years. So, I spend about a year reading this site and talking to the dealer (Norfolk Marine in my area). After weighing the pros and cons, I went with the 150's (as compared to my original desire not to be underpowered again and going with twin 200's).

So far we have about 45 hrs on the motors and I have no regrets. Last weekend, I had a full fuel tank and 6 adults and we went out to the First island of the Ches. Bay bridge tunnel (about a 7 mile run into the Ches bay) with a 2-3 foot chop. The boat did great. I did have to go WOT for about 7 seconds to get it up on plane but after that, even if I had more HP, I could not have used it.

AT other times, I have pulled my 14 yr old son on a wake board with 3 adults in the boat and it pulled him up just fine. WE also pulled him up on water skis and had no problem getting out of the hole. While I am sure twin 200's would have been even better, the 150's were OK.

I have noted that with having the Grady bracket and with a full tank and with 2 or 3 people that after coming off a plane the back wash from the wake will go seveal inches above the motor cover gasket. I can only imagine that with twin 200's it would sit even lower in the H2O.

anyway, after listening to the pros and cons. for where I use our grady. 90% of the time I can only travel above 35 to 40 mph. so having twin 200;s to hit the upper 40's would not give much.

So far our Grady does seem to perform exactly to the performance specs shown on the GW web site.

The only reason I would recommend going with twin 200's is if the waters you ride in will let you cruise at 35 to 45 mph most of the time.

Otherwise if you are like me and boating in the Ches. Bay and dealing with seas of 2 to 3 ft, I would recommend the twin 150's

But .... I would not recommend going with anything less than the twin 150's... of course the single 350 may be a different story ( but I like the redundancy of twins for the times we go offshore).

Ric

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I ordered a 232 Gulfstream last year with twin 200's. The boat is an '07.
I would not recommend anything less than the 200's.
The boat does NOT sit too low in the water, the weight of the 200's is NOT a problem and the boat performs great without working the engines too hard.

I cruise at 30MPH at 3800 and get 1.9 to 2.0 MPG.

The scuppers are slightly underwater when the boat is fully loaded with gear,ice and fuel. It doesn't matter, the deck drains fine anyway.

Put as much power as possible on the boat..Top speed means nothing, mid-range punch and low-RPM cruising for extended engine life means everything.

I have maxed-out the power on every boat I've ever owned and have NEVER been sorry.

Good luck, the Gulfstream is the biggest,most awesome 23-footer out there. I am hooked....