232 power options

happy dog

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new (or late model used, if possible) Gulfstream. Power options would include twin 150s, twin 200s, or single 350. Any recommendations? Are twin 200s too heavy for the hull?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Happy dog - I had a 232 with a 225 and it was OK. With a full load in rough seas it struggled - most cases not an issue. I have seen the 232 with the twin 200 and it looks like iit is too much weight. The boat sits low in the stern high in the bow when sitting. Im sure it crrects when moving.
I would say the twin 150s or the 350 would be the bet. Either way it is a great boat.

generalee

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Happy Dog, I turned to this forum with a similar if not the same question a couple of weeks ago. If you have not seen the responses, you may find them helpful. They were to me. See if this will get you there: http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8184

I too am considering the purchase of a Gulfstream. After sea trial of a boat in your area, I came away with questions regarding adequate power for a Gulfstream. Good luck in your search.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Twin F200's is ideal and my 2003 is for sale. Outboards still under warranty til March 2009. See John's "Latest Grady Deals" thread.

Jas

Reaction score
There’s a review of the GS with a 350 on the GW web site. (very flat seas with the boat just flying… but still very sweet!) However for me, what I would want is not just the 350 HP but also the handling and peace of mind that twin engines will bring. Just my $.02 .

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jas, does the F350 do better or worse on fuel than twin F150s per Grady?

SouthPass

Reaction score
Gulfstream with twins

My Gulfstream is a 93 hull with a pair of 150 hp 2000 model Evinrude FICHT's. I run 4 blade props and the engines are on a bracket. 1061 hours later and the engines still run great ! 3800 rpm is about 29mph. Never have any problems getting up on a plane even loaded. Go twins for peace of mind way offshore.

Jas

Reaction score
BobP said:
Jas, does the F350 do better or worse on fuel than twin F150s per Grady?

BobP

Sorry for the delay, but haven't been here in awhile. Regardless I don't know the answer. Perhaps the GW web site would have the burn rates.

grady23

Reaction score
A 350 is a 350 is a 350. What I'm saying is it's a 350 if your at WOT or trolling. Go with the twin 150's. Run as fast as you want and only troll on 1 enegine once you get there. I have twin 150's and don't often see conditions where I can run FLAT OUT, and burn 35 GPH. Twins will make the boat easier to dock and gives you a backup if 1 fails. Even though my engines are the Carbed '97 models, I only burn 1.7 GPH when trolling 1 engine at 3-4 Kts. That 350 is a BRUTE, but I don't feel it belongs on the Gulfstream. You still get 8 Cyls with twin F150's, but you have much more flexibility. I give up the 50Hp just for that
As far as the 200's go ---Yes Yamaha says the MPG/GPH is better, but why feed more then you need to?
BTW --- Grady has told all the dealers NOT to repower any boats built before '08 with the 350. The transom on the earlier boats won't handle the torque.