232 vs 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Watching posts for a while and the OP seems to be in a middle ground. Likes his boat but the slop and weather is an occasional problem thus looking at a Marlin and now a Gulf walkaround.
My advice is:
- Stick with one boat. You need to drive a decision to your problem and I don't believe 2X the cost and aggravation is the best solution.
- Record on paper every experience on the water for a period of time and decent amount of data. What is the frequency of bad weather/experience?
- Fish or cut bait. By that decide to get a walk or stick with what you have. From afar, it seems like a small walk may be your solution.
You are very perceptive, Fishtales. The only thing you missed is trailering. That alone is a good reason to stick with my 228. I just need to pick my days.

That said, it's fun to learn how other people are running their boats, what works for them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yep missed it.
get a nice set of foul weather gear and enjoy the elements!

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went from Seaifarer to Gulfstream to a Sailfish. The Seafarer was a non SeaV@ hull so the switch to SeaV2 Hull Gulfstream was even more dramatic with improved comfort and handling. The switch from Gulfstream to Saiifish was pretty dramatic to bc of going from single engine power to twins. You will be very happy with a Gulfstream with twins!
I have a 282 with twin 225s and love it. My 2 buddies have the Gulfstream 23 and i have spent a bit of time on those boats as well. One of the Gulfstreams has twin 150s and the other has one 300. You will love the Gulfstream but make sure you get twin engines

GW22

Reaction score
I fish year around and I'm a wuss, I never take the curtains down. If it is really warm, I'll roll up the sides but in 3 years, I think I've done that once. Different strokes...
I have a Question Lucky Dude , since you own a grady 22.8 Do you have any problems loading and unloading it by yourself ? Trying to decide on a 208 Adventure or a 22.8 I like the xtra 2 feet but fish alone alot somtimes just wondered .

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a Question Lucky Dude , since you own a grady 22.8 Do you have any problems loading and unloading it by yourself ? Trying to decide on a 208 Adventure or a 22.8 I like the xtra 2 feet but fish alone alot somtimes just wondered .
Hi GW22, I'm not Luckydude, but I also have a 228 and I launch and load solo all the time, especially when I'm out with the wife. Launching and loading either the 208 or the 228 will be similar. The biggest difference in the two is the 208 motor is on the transom and 228 is on a bracket. The only real time that comes in to play is in reverse, you'll want to trim the motor up some so the prop wash goes under the boat and not up into the transom under the bracket,, helps with maneuvering in reverse. A bunk trailer will also be preferable over a roller trailer when launching and loading solo since it will hold the boat better by not letting it come off the trailer before you're ready. Either the 208 or 228 will be a good boat. If you can launch and load a 208, you can launch and load a 228.

Reactions: Halfhitch

GW22

Reaction score
Hi GW22, I'm not Luckydude, but I also have a 228 and I launch and load solo all the time, especially when I'm out with the wife. Launching and loading either the 208 or the 228 will be similar. The biggest difference in the two is the 208 motor is on the transom and 228 is on a bracket. The only real time that comes in to play is in reverse, you'll want to trim the motor up some so the prop wash goes under the boat and not up into the transom under the bracket,, helps with maneuvering in reverse. A bunk trailer will also be preferable over a roller trailer when launching and loading solo since it will hold the boat better by not letting it come off the trailer before you're ready. Either the 208 or 228 will be a good boat. If you can launch and load a 208, you can launch and load a 228.
Thanks I launched my lund 17 foot deep v all the time by myself but never a 20 foot or more heavy fiberglass boat yes I like bunk trailers. I was looking at MM boats they say on their website they do not issue tags for there free trailers that come with their boats not sure how I would trailer it back to pa without a tag unless I get a new trailer from them. thanks for the reply.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My previous boat was a 21' Arima and my current one is the one in my signature, which is a 228 Seafarer, and I've also never had an issue with launching either one of them solo. It obviously helps having someone to either hold onto the boat for you or pull the truck/trailer out of the way so you don't tie up the ramp longer than you have to, but while it is a bigger boat, it's still very much doable with only one person. Though again, it's definitely a bit easier and quicker to have a buddy or someone else helping you out. I also second the bunk trailer preference that was mentioned above, of which my Arima had a roller trailer and I wasn't a fan of it at all.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Magic Bill and everyone,

I think the 228 is the right answer for me (actually, if they still made them _and_ I could get a slip, a 27 foot Sailfish seems like it would be perfect. Sigh. Hey Grady! Us west coast people buy walk arounds, not center consoles. It's cold!)

I just upgraded to a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 3.0L Ecodiesel (love it) and the 8500 pound load of the 232 is bigger than I can handle. And the extra $50K and I'm still coming home at 16 knots? Yuck.

Rlloyd, 16 knots? Is it on plane at that speed? And what do you see for real world MPG?
Hey Lucky, ever thought about something like this? I know it's a bit older than what you're looking for but it might be something to consider...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Lucky, ever thought about something like this? I know it's a bit older than what you're looking for but it might be something to consider...

Mustang:

When I lived in Florida, there was a Chesapeake in our North Basin on a lift. The Owner was a nice guy and told me he really dug the boat. He and his family ran it down to the Keys from Charlotte Harbor once a year, and it treated them well enroute unless it really got sloppy.

I have never ridden in his Chesapeake, but have been aboard, and, as you would expect, it is once small step down from the Marlin. I stood at the helm and the windshield frame was square in my line of sight, although Lucky may be taller or shorter than me. His rig had 250's...300's would be a nice match for that hull.

GW has discontinued the model, I assume due to mediocre sales...It's awful close to a Marlin and a Sailfish.

The boat looked great-nice lines.

I know LuckyDude and while I certainly am not speaking for him, I would assume this is still a bigger boat than he would want to mess with. The Chesapeake is close to a Marlin and he checked the Marlin off.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Mustang:

When I lived in Florida, there was a Chesapeake in our North Basin on a lift. The Owner was a nice guy and told me he really dug the boat. He and his family ran it down to the Keys from Charlotte Harbor once a year, and it treated them well enroute unless it really got sloppy.

I have never ridden in his Chesapeake, but have been aboard, and, as you would expect, it is once small step down from the Marlin. I stood at the helm and the windshield frame was square in my line of sight, although Lucky may be taller or shorter than me. His rig had 250's...300's would be a nice match for that hull.

GW has discontinued the model, I assume due to mediocre sales...It's awful close to a Marlin and a Sailfish.

The boat looked great-nice lines.

I know LuckyDude and while I certainly am not speaking for him, I would assume this is still a bigger boat than he would want to mess with. The Chesapeake is close to a Marlin and he checked the Marlin off.
Magicbill, you can always speak for me, you know your stuff.

I'm pretty convinced I want to stay with my 228. I love the digital throttle on my engine, there is no way I'd go back to cables controlling the throttle. I also love how reliable everything has gotten, I don't want to go back to engines that are perhaps funky or a hull that is perhaps funky.

I also like that I can trailer my boat to where I want to go. In a normal year, I will fish out of Monterey, Moss Landing, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and Oyster Point. This year I will trailer my boat to Fort Bragg to chase Albacore.

I'm not that thrilled with my local harbor where I'd need a slip if I got a big boat. There are trees that dump sticky crap on your boat so you have to do a full cover. I put my boat in a slip there to work on my trailer, that was months ago and I'm still trying to clean that crap out. My boat lives in my driveway mostly uncovered, it's a 10 minute wash down and I have a clean boat to go fish in.

Is the 228 the best boat? Absolutely not. My fishing buddy's Canyon 271 is a much better hull, much better ride and those twin 300 hundreds, be still my pounding heart, so nice. On the other hand, my 228 is much warmer, my 5 foot shorter boat has a much bigger back deck for fishing (and I think my back deck is bigger than the Chesapeake) and I can trailer it anywhere.

I do lust after a bigger better smoother ride home. But I keep coming back to my 228, she's an awesome boat for her size and she ticks all my boxes.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I do lust after a bigger better smoother ride home. But I keep coming back to my 228, she's an awesome boat for her size and she ticks all my boxes.
Agreed. My 228 Seafarer does everything I need her to do and then some, especially considering that I fish solo a good majority of the time. My neighbor has a GW 270 Islander and while it is a nice boat, we both think it's a bit overkill for our intended purposes. That, and a bigger boat only makes expenditures go up as opposed to down, especially with regards to fuel economy, insurance, renting a slip and so forth. I was just curious because it seems like you keep considering a bigger boat, especially considering the topic at hand, but if you're happy with the 228 then I'd stick with that.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. My 228 Seafarer does everything I need her to do and then some, especially considering that I fish solo a good majority of the time. My neighbor has a GW 270 Islander and while it is a nice boat, we both think it's a bit overkill for our intended purposes. That, and a bigger boat only makes expenditures go up as opposed to down, especially with regards to fuel economy, insurance, renting a slip and so forth. I was just curious because it seems like you keep considering a bigger boat, especially considering the topic at hand, but if you're happy with the 228 then I'd stick with that.
My desire for a bigger boat is because of my feet, they are so fucked, I'm in pain all the time. They are what turned me to ocean fishing, I'm still learning ocean stuff, but if you want to fly fish? I'm not as good as a guide who does it 300 days a year, but I'm better than anyone who is not a guide. I can cast 90 feet on a 5 weight and put the fly in a 5 inch circle.

My looks at a bigger boat are because my feet. I'd love to have a more comfortable ride home, our ocean is nice in the morning and shit on the way home.

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Magicbill, you can always speak for me, you know your stuff.

I'm pretty convinced I want to stay with my 228. I love the digital throttle on my engine, there is no way I'd go back to cables controlling the throttle. I also love how reliable everything has gotten, I don't want to go back to engines that are perhaps funky or a hull that is perhaps funky.

I also like that I can trailer my boat to where I want to go. In a normal year, I will fish out of Monterey, Moss Landing, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and Oyster Point. This year I will trailer my boat to Fort Bragg to chase Albacore.

I'm not that thrilled with my local harbor where I'd need a slip if I got a big boat. There are trees that dump sticky crap on your boat so you have to do a full cover. I put my boat in a slip there to work on my trailer, that was months ago and I'm still trying to clean that crap out. My boat lives in my driveway mostly uncovered, it's a 10 minute wash down and I have a clean boat to go fish in.

Is the 228 the best boat? Absolutely not. My fishing buddy's Canyon 271 is a much better hull, much better ride and those twin 300 hundreds, be still my pounding heart, so nice. On the other hand, my 228 is much warmer, my 5 foot shorter boat has a much bigger back deck for fishing (and I think my back deck is bigger than the Chesapeake) and I can trailer it anywhere.

Thanks Lucky: I appreciate it.

It's fun to follow your evolution here. If you have come full circle, and decided to keep the Seafarer, you can mentally relax and enjoy your ride.

As you well know, there will always be another boat down the Pike that will be worth a second glance, but there is peace (and financial bliss) in knowing what you have will get it done.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Lucky - you ready for 8” of rain in Santa Cruz mountains? Hopefully no serious erosion or mudslides

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky - you ready for 8” of rain in Santa Cruz mountains? Hopefully no serious erosion or mudslides
I've been quiet because I've been dealing with that rain. Before it rained, i was on my Kubota M59 dragging the ditches, my helper was on my Kubota B21 picking up my piles and dumping them over the edge. We got the ditches in pretty reasonable shape before the rain.

I left a Kubota KX 161 excavator part way up the road because I knew I'd need it for something.

So then the rain started dumping and of course the sh*t started hitting the fan. After about 24 hours of that, I had 5 clogged culverts and a couple of small-ish landslides. So I spent the day opening up the culverts, clearing the slides, working on where the ditches stopped working.

So the road is sort of OK. It feels like it's an hour or three away from a train wreck but so far so good. Thanks for asking!

I'm at 1350 feet above sea level, it's the people down in the flats are really screwed, rivers & creeks are cresting and overflowing. It's a crazy winter.