232 with single?

fliboi21

Reaction score
Hello all. I am interested in buying a 232 with a single f250. I have read several threads with people that are happy and people that are disapionted. I figured this is the place to get some real performance numbers. Any real world numbers/apps would be appreciated.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My neighbor had that setup. Alway's ran to the canyons and had no problem with the power end. Backing into his slip with that 9'3" beam with that single was another story. I saw him every time he came back...it wasn't pretty. And he was a very good skipper. I'm sure that you will get some more input on here from actual owners. I'm just relaying what I saw and what he told me about the boat...he loved it, despite the backing up issues.

RMA

Reaction score
I have a 232 for less than a year with a single 250HDPI and no complaints on power but getting it into the slip I need a second person on board. The wind just pushes it around and trying to get the bow in first can be a challenge.

jrem

Reaction score
Just purchased a 98 232 with 06 250 Four Stroke. So far, so good.

I really liked the 232 set up and wasnt looking for twins. The previous owner started with a single 250 2-Stroke and replaced with 250 4-stroke and he's done plenty of off shore fishing and was completely satisfied with it.

Some issues with docking, chalk some of that up to a new captain, but it's a big boat and with the curtains down and a good breeze she'll catch the wind like a sailboat.

I'm working on performance #'s for myself as it is, and will share when I get more together. What are you looking for?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had a 232 with twin f200's. i can't speak for single performance, but knowing how it handled close quarter with twins, i (personally) would not want to do it with a single.

it doesn't need 400 hp, but i like the fact that i always ran half to 3/4 throttle on the engines. imho, the perfect setup would be twin f175's (if yamaha ever gets to it). i see they set them up with twin f 150's - never been on one. good luck, ron

lgusto

Reaction score
I'm happy with my single F250 especially from a cost perspective (fuel and maintenance). I agree that close quarters handling is difficult. Trimming the motor way up when reversing is imperative.

See my latest post about props - it makes a huge difference in performance.

232 GULF

Reaction score
We upgraded this year from a 2000 w/250 OX66 2 stroke to an '05 w/twin 150s. BIG difference, mainly at the dock like others have said. I definitely think having twins is worth it in every situation - getting on plane, docking, top end, etc. That boat with a single just does not want to back up.

I don't exactly remember but I think we would cruise 4000 at about 23-26 mph which, to us, was a little bit too slow. Now we cruise 4000-4200 at about 30-32 mph burning 1.8 - 2.0 mpg depending on load. Top end we've hit 43-44 mph. I would definitely test drive both if possible and put them through their paces. As someone said, I agree that the 175s would be a perfect fit, but the 150s are pretty close to perfect.

You won't regret buying the boat - I guarantee that. Good luck and enjoy.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have the 232 with twin 200's and I think it's the perfect setup.
Great dockside handling. When I screw up, it's because of my lack of skill as opposed to lack of maneuverability on the part of the rig.
I have never been aboard one with a single, so I can't make an informed comparison.
There are many with singles as evidenced by this forum, so they have to be a legitimate combination. That said, I still would go with twins. I love my boat. 1.8 to 2.0 MPG at 27-30 MPH. Cruises at 33 spinning 4000-4100 RPM. Hits 47-49 MPH at wide-open. It planes easily and is great to drive.

fliboi21

Reaction score
Lots of good info here guys, Thanks. JREM looks like you got the exact set up i'm looking at. What kind of performance numbers you getting...3500-4000-4500rpms? I'm worried of running 4500rpms and higher to stay anywhere near 30kts.thanks

jrem

Reaction score
Didn't get around to working out performance #'s this weekend and left what I have written out on the boat, but pretty sure I'm frequently running 45-50 rpm when up around 30 mph. Will try and get #'s for you next weekend. In the meantime take a look at the threads below:

Here's a related thread on THT with an F225:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... power.html

Here's another on GG:
viewtopic.php?t=8184

lgusto

Reaction score
In agreement with jrem. We have a hardtop, full curtains, bottom paint, "normal" load, 15 3/4 x 15 stainless prop, and here's our figures:

22 knots @ 4,300 RPM
25 knots @ 4,600 RPM
30 knots @ 5,100 RPM
34 knots @ 6,000 RPM (WOT)

With my factory 15 1/2 x 17 stainless prop we burned 70-80 gallons on 100 mile round trip offshore days. I'll post figures for my new prop this weekend.