235 antenna location hard top

CMS1

Reaction score
Have a new 235 coming in and am trying to figure out two things. Where on the hard top to mount the antenna and if someone figured out how to mount the radio to the hard top instead of the dash. Any photos or advice would be appreciated!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Besides what Skunk will discuss with you about the availability of space in an overhead, one of my main considerations would be making sure I can readily reach the pivot mount when it is time to lay the antenna down without climbing onto the hardtop.

Reactions: CMS1

CMS1

Reaction score
Besides what Skunk will discuss with you about the availability of space in an overhead, one of my main considerations would be making sure I can readily reach the pivot mount when it is time to lay the antenna down without climbing onto the hardtop.
Good point since I do go under a lot of bridges!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good point since I do go under a lot of bridges!

One point I might make is that when you go shopping for your antenna mount (if you don't already have it) is to avoid any mount made in China. A buddy of mine was so happy about the good deal he got on his mount, but when we started running offshore in the chop, the thing would loosen up and drop the antenna. The first time it came down, we thought it just hadn't been tightened good but about 20 minutes later it came down again. Really lucky it didn't hit anyone. After that we wired the lever and it finished the trip. Just beware of the junk out there.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Lots of questions...
Brand new 235 Freedom bow rider?..no electronics box...:confused:

Is there an all-around light up top? Speakers and pretty lights? hidden wires?
do you have a pathway for running wire inside your hardtop frame up from the dash?
Looking at pix of 235 with hardtop, looks like some kind of hollow space up there and a pipe from the dash.
Is that what you have?
If so, you can mount a VHF up there but it will look like crap hanging down.
You might consider a hidden "black box" VHF with controls and display on the mic.

Without seeing the top in person, if its what the gradywhite.com pix seem to be, I'm guessing there is an access port into a hollow space.
You are going to be limited by where you can reach as far as mounting an antenna.

I would go stare at the one at the dealer showroom and ask them what they think....;)

Oh, as for antenna mounts...I had a lot of success with the plastic (yes plastic!) lift-n-drop style mount. EASY to operate every time.
Just replace it every 10 years when it gets chalky.

ALL of the pretty stainless steel ones are a pain and many of the "easy lever" ones fall down. The screws get stripped..:mad:

or go with a 3ft stainless whip on a solid mount.

Last edited:

CMS1

Reaction score
Lots of questions...
Brand new 235 Freedom bow rider?..no electronics box...:confused:

Is there an all-around light up top? Speakers and pretty lights? hidden wires?
do you have a pathway for running wire inside your hardtop frame up from the dash?
Looking at pix of 235 with hardtop, looks like some kind of hollow space up there and a pipe from the dash.
Is that what you have?
If so, you can mount a VHF up there but it will look like crap hanging down.
You might consider a hidden "black box" VHF with controls and display on the mic.

Without seeing the top in person, if its what the gradywhite.com pix seem to be, I'm guessing there is an access port into a hollow space.
You are going to be limited by where you can reach as far as mounting an antenna.

I would go stare at the one at the dealer showroom and ask them what they think....;)

Oh, as for antenna mounts...I had a lot of success with the plastic (yes plastic!) lift-n-drop style mount. EASY to operate every time.
Just replace it every 10 years when it gets chalky.

ALL of the pretty stainless steel ones are a pain and many of the "easy lever" ones fall down. The screws get stripped..:mad:

or go with a 3ft stainless whip on a solid mount.

XXXXXXXXX

Boating at the head of Barnegat Bay there are a lot of bridges but still think the 8' antenna is the way to go. Yes there are lights in the hard top along with a pipe for wiring, No speakers. Im going to look today at things up close. I always like the VHF on top but this boat may not allow for a clean installation. Grady could have moulded in something but they didnt. Perhaps I am over thinking the location and just should mount it on the dash. Was hoping there would be some 235 owners out there that had some photos or ideas but this has been helpful so thanks for suggestions!

CMS1

Reaction score
Hey Skunkboat, your in my hood...Boating at the head of Barnegat Bay there are a lot of bridges but still think the 8' antenna is the way to go. Yes there are lights in the hard top along with a pipe for wiring, No speakers. Im going to look today at things up close for a location that will allow me to lower it when the need comes. I always liked the VHF on top ( had a Parker Sport Cabin) but this boat may not allow for a clean installation. Grady could have moulded in something but unfortunately they didn't. Perhaps I am over thinking the location and just should mount it on the dash. This is my 4th Grady and perhaps my last so I want to get it right. Was hoping there would be some 235 owners out there that had some photos or ideas but this has been helpful so thanks for suggestions and Ill post some complete photos when its done Boat coming early June.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Except MAYBE if you are in Beaver Dam Creek, there are no bridges you have to worry about with your antenna up. I have 18' outriggers that don't come close

If you are hanging in the bay or doing coastal fishing, a 3' stainless whip will work fine and look a lot nicer. If you have to take it down you just unscrew it.
I had a 3' whip on my V20 and had no concerns with hearing or being heard in Chicken Canyon.
I put a whip on a second VHF on my 265 as a backup.

I used a lift-n-drop antenna mount on my white all-around light. I extended it 3 ft because my nav lights were on the hardtop and also used it as a flag pole

Take a look at the black box VHFs, They'll save you room on the dash.